Do motherboards support 1440p 120hz+?

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

When I broke my GTX 1080ti I have been runing and playing at 1440p 120Hz out of my Haswell iGPU so yes, you can run 1440p 120Hz with DP 1.2 from your onboard graphics.

Hi, im building a new pc and since the GPUs are really overpriced and i dont plan to game as of right now and don't want to buy one right now, I was wondering if i can run my 1440p 144hz monitor(yes, I want 120+hz on productivity stuff because it's really smooth and nice) (Acer XF270HUA) only with the integrated graphics of the 8700k on the AsRock Z370 Taichi (that has a DP)
On their website ASRock claims their mobo supports: "- Supports DisplayPort 1.2 with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2304) @ 60Hz" Since even the GPUs will just put the max res on there @ 60hz aswell, but obviously allows 144hz at lower than max res, I was wondering if it's the same for motherboards.
I looked for this around on the internet for hours but all i could find is ppl that didnt know that is better to plug their monitor in their GPU rather than their mobo.
Thanks in advance to everyone!

EDIT: I don't plan on playing demanding games. I would just play CSGO at low res, low settings (will give me like 120fps on average) and have a smooth experience on productivity/ browsing stuff

Depends on what the output is. My Maximus X code + 8700k can take me to 144hz 1440p with a displayport until I get my 1080Ti back.

You won't really be able to get 120 though. At 1440p I struggle to get 120FPs on League with IGPU, even at 5GHZ. Igpus suck.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Thanks for the answer
As I said, I dont plan to game. I just want a smooth productivity experience!

5 minutes ago, wtfmid0ing said:

Thanks for the answer
As I said, I dont plan to game. I just want a smooth productivity experience!

There is 0 diffrence in typing a word document at 144hz unless you can type 144 letters per second

Youtube and stuff only let you watch things in 60 FPS so

Just get a panel with better color reproduction or something

My life

I appreciate your contribution but
The integrated graphics will be able to push CSGO on low res/low settings, above an average of 120fps. which is the only game i play. Id rather wait than buying an overpriced GPU. Also it is definitely more pleasing to the eye doing anything on desktop on 144hz, be it scrolling pages, dragging windows and so on.

1 minute ago, wtfmid0ing said:

I appreciate your contribution but
The integrated graphics will be able to push CSGO on low res/low settings, above an average of 120fps. which is the only game i play. Id rather wait than buying an overpriced GPU. Also it is definitely more pleasing to the eye doing anything on desktop on 144hz, be it scrolling pages, dragging windows and so on.

At 1440p?

No way

My life

i said low res. Id like to be able to play csgo at low res at 144hz. And on desktop 1440p 144hz with productivity. In the future ill definitely buy a GPU, just not now because of the price

41 minutes ago, Armakar said:

At 1440p I struggle to get 120FPs on League with IGPU, even at 5GHZ. Igpus suck.

That is because the 5ghz does nothing to the igpu. You have to overclock the Igpu separately like a real gpu. Then you can get up to 30% more fps.

14 minutes ago, wtfmid0ing said:

i said low res. Id like to be able to play csgo at low res at 144hz. And on desktop 1440p 144hz with productivity. In the future ill definitely buy a GPU, just not now because of the price

At 1080P, you'll definitely hit 60 FPS (low - med) constant, maybe 70-80FPS with a overclock, but don't expect 144FPS. But if 60FPS does it, you'll have a nice experience.

When I broke my GTX 1080ti I have been runing and playing at 1440p 120Hz out of my Haswell iGPU so yes, you can run 1440p 120Hz with DP 1.2 from your onboard graphics.