Building a NAS

So I'm currently parting out a nas and just wanted to get second opinions before I pull the trigger looking to spend around £300, have chosen to use new parts as to just build it and leave it.

Parts:

Node 304

8gb fury ram (not sure what speed)

Ryzen 1200

Gigabyte AB350N-GAMING Wi-Fi Motherboard (not sure if this is exact model as not on computer atm)

System power 8 #bequiet pay  (already own)

Cheap 710 you for output

Any advice on hardware would be greatly appreciated

This nas will mostly be used for streaming plex and small backups for college/uni

Any operating system preferences would also be appreciated (thinking freenas) don't mind having a learning curve 

Wait for iGPU Ryzen 3, already annouced, will save power and if you ever want to render it will do better, and it would probably be cheaper than than the combo.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Get a board with more Sata ports... 

When you really want to build a NAS, 4 is the absolute minimum because of raid 5, without it I wouldn't build a NAS. I would try to get at least 6 sata ports if not 8.

So you still have spare ports for the system drive (if there is no M.2 provided) and for an optical drive like bluray if you want to use it as home media server in the living room as well.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

7 minutes ago, JDE said:

Wait for iGPU Ryzen 3, already annouced, will save power and if you ever want to render it will do better, and it would probably be cheaper than than the combo.

I did consider that but the price of a cheap you that will very really run I'll have to see if it's worth the wait as I wanna start building mid to late February

So it'll more be a choice of what's out when I purchase 

7 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

When you really want to build a NAS, 4 is the absolute minimum because of raid 5, without it I wouldn't build a NAS. I would try to get at least 6 sata ports if not 8.

So you still have spare ports for the system drive (if there is no M.2 provided) and for an optical drive like bluray if you want to use it as home media server in the living room as well.

I'll have to look around it'll come down to price and Wi-Fi I can always swap out the motherboard later on but Wi-Fi is more of a priority right now atleast.

But won't hurt to have a look around :)

So you said the main use is for streaming like Plex.

How many users will be watching your Plex video. will you have any tuners hooked up to it? For plex i would stray away from freenas and look at unraid 

16 hours ago, Himmpy said:

So you said the main use is for streaming like Plex.

How many users will be watching your Plex video. will you have any tuners hooked up to it? For plex i would stray away from freenas and look at unraid 

Can't see it streaming to more than 3-4 at a time and no won't have a tuner.

Is there more functionality with unraid? Even then would have to be worth the price considering  freenas is highly recommended and free

10 hours ago, Fisherp93 said:

Can't see it streaming to more than 3-4 at a time and no won't have a tuner.

Is there more functionality with unraid? Even then would have to be worth the price considering  freenas is highly recommended and free

You may want a higher CPU if you want to handle 3 - 4 streams. Ryzen 1200 has a PassMark score of 6800. It takes about 2000 Passmark score per 1080p stream. You will need to have some overhead for the OS and other function you may need. Like torrent downloader. Connection to PC/Mac to transfer files.

I think Unraid makes a better Media NAS server. Due to the way it handle data. It's very easy to expand your data pool. Set up share for PC/Mac.

I run both FreeNAS and Unraid and they both have pro and con. The con for Freeas for a media server is that for ever 1 terabyte of space you need 1 gigabyte of ram.

You can download Unraid as a trial i would suggest playing with both.  

On 1/11/2018 at 5:51 PM, Anghammarad said:

You don't need RAID 5, or even RAID at all, for a home nas. 

3 minutes ago, geo3 said:

You don't need RAID 5, or even RAID at all, for a home nas. 

don't forget... you don't need a backup as well... 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

• 1 month later...

Hey guys just ordering parts for my system in the next week or 2 and I've decided on the ryzen 5 1600 just to be careful but I was wondering if anyone could recommend an older platform on ddr3 as ram prices still aren't great 

6 hours ago, Fisherp93 said:

Hey guys just ordering parts for my system in the next week or 2 and I've decided on the ryzen 5 1600 just to be careful but I was wondering if anyone could recommend an older platform on ddr3 as ram prices still aren't great 

Why not Ryzen 5 2400G?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I would recommend against FreeNAS with the parts you have ordered for two reasons.

1) ECC memory is a must if you want to run ZFS and care about your data. If your non-ECC RAM gets for example a bit stuck then ZFS will slowly corrupt all data you have in the array. It is extremely important that your RAM is 100% correct at all times when using ZFS.

2) AMD and FreeBSD has not mixed well historically, and you will find an overwhelming amount of very knowledge FreeNAS users and developers strongly recommend using AMD hardware for FreeNAS.

I recommend openmediavault instead.

It does not use ZFS (you can choose between several file systems such as ext4 and btrfs) which removes the reliance on ECC.

It's also GNU/Linux based which means that AMD compatibility is not an issue.

It's a bit more difficult to set up, but there are several guides out there if you need help. It's also developed by one of the former lead-developers of FreeNAS, and follows many of the same ideas.

18 hours ago, JDE said:

Why not Ryzen 5 2400G?

Honestly 2 less physical cores and it won't be used for gaming anyways so if prefair more cpu power and I can always add a gpu if needed 

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I would recommend against FreeNAS with the parts you have ordered for two reasons.

1) ECC memory is a must if you want to run ZFS and care about your data. If your non-ECC RAM gets for example a bit stuck then ZFS will slowly corrupt all data you have in the array. It is extremely important that your RAM is 100% correct at all times when using ZFS.

2) AMD and FreeBSD has not mixed well historically, and you will find an overwhelming amount of very knowledge FreeNAS users and developers strongly recommend using AMD hardware for FreeNAS.

I recommend openmediavault instead.

It does not use ZFS (you can choose between several file systems such as ext4 and btrfs) which removes the reliance on ECC.

It's also GNU/Linux based which means that AMD compatibility is not an issue.

It's a bit more difficult to set up, but there are several guides out there if you need help. It's also developed by one of the former lead-developers of FreeNAS, and follows many of the same ideas.

I wi definately check this out I haven't fully decided software yet and still open to any