r9 290x won't boot , cold to touch.

Coaxialgamer

My 290x will not post , no matter which pcie slot / psu i use . My r9 290 however , does post in my current setup just fine , which leads me to believe something on the card is dead.

A few days ago , my gpu was running hot ( not out of spec though , 90C ) , and i smelled burning electronics , so i immediately shut off the computer . I dismantled the card and cleaned it , as well as adding new paste.

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary , although the pcb under the vrm looks like it has dried up ( almost delaminated , except its not )  . when plugged in , the fans spin , but the motherboard is stuck on VGA post , and i get no signal , pointing to a gpu error.

I'd say the gpu is fried ,however , it stays stone cold even when powered on , while dead gpus/cpus usually heat up regardless . It almost looks to me as though the VRM is dead (in which case i can attempt to find a donor VRM off a  gtx 480/580 ).

Has anyone ever gotten this before ? The card is just out of warranty unfortunately.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

90C is very hot for a card. It can and will shorten its lifespan. 

Even if your core was running at 90, other components might've ran at much higher temps, above 100C.

It's only an educated guess but according to what you've said, the card might be dead.

16 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

90C is very hot for a card. It can and will shorten its lifespan. 

Even if your core was running at 90, other components might've ran at much higher temps, above 100C.

It's only an educated guess but according to what you've said, the card might be dead.

95C is the max operating temp for the 290x, so that's fine . It usually runs at less than 80 C though with the tri x cooler .

but yes , it's possible other components are damaged , and that's what i suspect it is.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case