Laptop on SSD still slow.

LunaP0n3

Okay all, here's the situation.

My grandfather bought an Akoya Medion E7222 PC at ALDI (Australian Company) ages ago and he's been using it for years. For the last couple of years until about 2 years ago it had a OCZ Agility 3 240GB in it.

Herein lies the problem.

The system still feels sluggish on boot times, and from a little testing I've done it seems like the SSD's Random Read performance is limping.

As a troubleshooting measure we migrated off the OCZ one to a SanDisk SSD Plus 480GB to try and get to a more modern SSD as from reading user reviews that OCZ one was pretty old.

• In the Capture.png file I did a random read test in HDSentinel. The latency is all over the place and the temperature of the drive skyrocketed to 57'C
  • The WAYNE-LAPTOP.txt file contains a readout from Speccy.
  • I have noticed that both the mechanical and SSD drives are both running in SATA II mode

I'm suspecting that the motherboard's SATA controller is just simply not powerful enough to run all these devices at the full SATA III speeds, or it has been faulty right from day one.

I'd love to kick the old machine into turbo mode and make his boot times far better.

Any ideas?

Capture.PNG

WAYNE-LAPTOP.txt

I think the bottleneck is from the MOBO. No SATA 3 means slower speed in read and write to SSD. Time to change the whole laptop if speed is very important.

PS. This is only what I think. Just so you know, 95% of the time my advise are wrong ... :(

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

18 minutes ago, LunaP0n3 said:

Okay all, here's the situation.

My grandfather bought an Akoya Medion E7222 PC at ALDI (Australian Company) ages ago and he's been using it for years. For the last couple of years until about 2 years ago it had a OCZ Agility 3 240GB in it.

Herein lies the problem.

The system still feels sluggish on boot times, and from a little testing I've done it seems like the SSD's Random Read performance is limping.

As a troubleshooting measure we migrated off the OCZ one to a SanDisk SSD Plus 480GB to try and get to a more modern SSD as from reading user reviews that OCZ one was pretty old.

• In the Capture.png file I did a random read test in HDSentinel. The latency is all over the place and the temperature of the drive skyrocketed to 57'C
  • The WAYNE-LAPTOP.txt file contains a readout from Speccy.
  • I have noticed that both the mechanical and SSD drives are both running in SATA II mode

I'm suspecting that the motherboard's SATA controller is just simply not powerful enough to run all these devices at the full SATA III speeds, or it has been faulty right from day one.

I'd love to kick the old machine into turbo mode and make his boot times far better.

Any ideas?

WAYNE-LAPTOP.txt

Did you migrate the OS or was it a fresh install? if not, there might be some old files kicking about or anything else that are causing the slowness of your laptop. Bear in mind that I checked system specs and it's very old. Second Gen i3 Mobile CPU. Not the fastest. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

Did you migrate the OS or was it a fresh install? if not, there might be some old files kicking about or anything else that are causing the slowness of your laptop. Bear in mind that I checked system specs and it's very old. Second Gen i3 Mobile CPU. Not the fastest. 

It was a migration. Maybe try reloading Windows?

Just now, LunaP0n3 said:

It was a migration. Maybe try reloading Windows?

If someone wants new OS on their old PC/Laptop I'd recommend a Windows reinstall. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Yeah I think that laptop is due for retirement mate, a clean windows install would probably help but I suspect that machine was made using pretty budget parts so it may well be that it doesn't have a SATA III controller and any perceived speed from when it was new is simply a result of it being a clean(ish) install compared to (if it's anything like my grandads PC) it's current bloatiness.

Also, Aldi is a German company, we have them in the UK to 9_9 (Though I've never seen them flogging laptops!)

Maybe this should be an LTT review xD

It's going to a bummer if we end up having to retire this machine, as it has dual 2.5" HDD bays with a DVD burner. Exceedingly rare on budget machines as I'm lead to believe (only really found on monster gaming laptops), We might have to look at a machine that has an m.2 SSD, with a 2.5 bay and DVD Burner

Edited by LunaP0n3
Grammatical Error

Yeah those are pretty common these days (m.2 + 2.5" bay I mean) but you're right, finding one with all 3 won't be easy. You could look at getting a pre-owned business laptop. For example I have an old Dell Precision laptop at home which I picked up on ebay for about £200 that has 2 bays and an optical (alright its pretty hefty but it's got 16gb of DDR3 and an old i7 in it - with an SSD it runs perfectly fine).

I'll discuss it with my grandfather and go over possible options for a new device (If he decides to upgrade) He hardly uses the ODD anymore, but likes to have it handy as the laptop does occasionally go on the road. Easily fixed with a portable ODD.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I now believe I can present the situation as plainly as possible to him.