First pc build. Need more opinions and tips

Galexywyvern

I’ve been looking for a pc for a while the mouse and keyboard are just there. If anyone knew how well this would be for cooling as well as any changes they would make to make it better and around the same price I would appreciate that. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LcjJCy

the full price is about 1666$ excluding keyboard and mouse.

Price excluding thermal paste, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and windows 10, about if my math is right 1379.63 without tax

Hey!

Do you live in the US and have you already bought some parts?

First off the 7700K is already last-gen, so don't buy that. Also don't buy a 120mm radiator, its performance is worse than a lot of big air coolers and it's noisy. The H440 case also has pretty bad ariflow so for cooling you're not looking great right now.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

What do you intend to do with your computer? Gaming? Streaming (while doing another activity)? Media editing? Start with that, and pick a curent_gen. CPU+GPU combo that suits your needs. Tailor your build around that (with some DDR4), with a good case, and you'll be off to the races :)

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Hey!

Do you live in the US and have you already bought some parts?

First off the 7700K is already last-gen, so don't buy that. Also don't buy a 120mm radiator, its performance is worse than a lot of big air coolers and it's noisy. The H440 case also has pretty bad ariflow so for cooling you're not looking great right now.

I do live in the U.S and I have not bought any of the parts yet, I really don’t know too well what I’m doing when it comes to picking out these parts so help would be amazing if you could.

4 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

What do you intend to do with your computer? Gaming? Streaming (while doing another activity)? Media editing? Start with that, and pick a curent_gen. CPU+GPU combo that suits your needs. Tailor your build around that (with some DDR4), with a good case, and you'll be off to the races :)

I plan on gaming as well as MAYBE recording and editing I doubt that though. I don’t really know what the newest ones are, I had a friend who said that’s what he has and it works well for him so I’ve just going going with that at the moment.

This is a more up-to-date build that is more powerful and roughly the same cost.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($339.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.90 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($196.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital - WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Best Buy) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC GAMING Video Card  ($378.90 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT - H440 (Matte Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($53.95 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit  ($109.99 @ B&H) 
Monitor: Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($137.29 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Keyboard: Redragon - K552 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($31.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Redragon - Centrophorus M601 Wired Optical Mouse  ($12.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1673.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-10 20:16 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Don't get Kaby. Either get Coffee or Ryzen. The 8600K or 8700 should be fine. 

Don't get a 120mm AiO. A similarly priced air cooler will perform better, be quieter and more reliable. 

Coolers come with TIM.

The Z370P is not a very good board. Usually, you can get better boards for the same price.

Get faster RAM. Brand doesn't matter.

The 850 Evo costs the same as the MX300.

Don't get a 5400RPM HDD. Just get whatever's the cheapest 7200RPM 64MB cache HDD.

For gaming, and with a $1700 budget, you can usually get a 1080 Ti.

The H440 has poor airflow, and is quite old and big. Sure you don't want a newer case?

You can get a Windows key from Reddit or Kinguin for $25.

If you get a decent GPU, don't cheap out on the monitor. It's what you're looking at when using the PC.

And the keyboard and mouse. It's what you're using when interacting with the PC.

What's the total budget?

:)

33 minutes ago, brob said:

This is a more up-to-date build that is more powerful and roughly the same cost.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($339.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.90 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($196.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital - WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Best Buy) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC GAMING Video Card  ($378.90 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT - H440 (Matte Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($53.95 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit  ($109.99 @ B&H) 
Monitor: Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($137.29 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Keyboard: Redragon - K552 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($31.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Redragon - Centrophorus M601 Wired Optical Mouse  ($12.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1673.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-10 20:16 EST-0500

With that build you have what would you recommend for the case? I don’t really care much about color unless it is a dark green/pink/purple ect. Those are no goes.

33 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Don't get Kaby. Either get Coffee or Ryzen. The 8600K or 8700 should be fine. 

Don't get a 120mm AiO. A similarly priced air cooler will perform better, be quieter and more reliable. 

Coolers come with TIM.

The Z370P is not a very good board. Usually, you can get better boards for the same price.

Get faster RAM. Brand doesn't matter.

The 850 Evo costs the same as the MX300.

Don't get a 5400RPM HDD. Just get whatever's the cheapest 7200RPM 64MB cache HDD.

For gaming, and with a $1700 budget, you can usually get a 1080 Ti.

The H440 has poor airflow, and is quite old and big. Sure you don't want a newer case?

You can get a Windows key from Reddit or Kinguin for $25.

If you get a decent GPU, don't cheap out on the monitor. It's what you're looking at when using the PC.

And the keyboard and mouse. It's what you're using when interacting with the PC.

What's the total budget?

What do you reccomend for a newer case?

1 minute ago, Galexywyvern said:

Core P3, Enthoo Pro M, Define C, Meshify C, 400C, 270R, P400(/S) and RL06

:)

46 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Core P3, Enthoo Pro M, Define C, Meshify C, 400C, 270R, P400(/S) and RL06

By use of the updated version of the build brob  made with this case which is in the new link is that better? And if so is the a better cpu cooler that won’t be much more expensive?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6vGnsJ

Edited by Galexywyvern

58 minutes ago, Galexywyvern said:

The Fractal-Design Meshify C is attractive and has very good airflow.

Cooler Master Master Box Pro or Lite RGB if you want some bling.

Edit:

22 minutes ago, Galexywyvern said:

By use of the updated version of the build brob  made with this case which is in the new link is that better? And if so is the a better cpu cooler that won’t be much more expensive?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6vGnsJ

Looks like a nice case.

13 minutes ago, brob said:

The Fractal-Design Meshify C is attractive and has very good airflow.

Cooler Master Master Box Pro or Lite RGB if you want some bling.

Edit:

Looks like a nice case.

Awesome. How is the cooler memory/ram and graphics card. I have a friend who said the memory is too expensive for what it is, and the cooler idk how that is. Also he also says the I7-7700 K LGA 1151 processed may have heard that last bit wrong.

Edited by Galexywyvern

10 minutes ago, Galexywyvern said:

Awesome. How is the cooler memory/ram and graphics card. I have a friend who said the memory is too expensive for what it is, and the cooler idk how that is.

An i7-8700 cpu comes with a stock Intel cooler which would do a decent job. The H7 will do an excellent job cooling that cpu quietly.

I agree, the memory is expensive. Sadly memory prices are ridiculously high at the moment with pricing and availability changing frequently. https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#sort=price&Z=16384002&s=402666,403000,403200,403300,403333,403400,403466,403600,403666&X=0,20277 is a current list of 2x8GB memory suitable for the build. Pick the kit that suits. But check pricing and stock before ordering.

You guys are really moving fast! But, I'd make the following general recommendations:

• a CPU with at least 6 cores or more (for CPU-intensive loads)
  • a GeForce GTX 10 Series GPU (for good gaming experience and CUDA-based video encoding options)
  • at least 16GB of DDR4 RAM (for memory intensive workloads)
  • at least 2 TB HDD storage + 256 GB (or more) of SSD/NvME storge
  • a reliable capture card (for recording)
  • a decent microphone, for voice-over

You came pretty close to my current suggestion for the CPU (Intel COre i7 8700K vs. 8700). If you're in the mood for AMD, the RYZEN 5 1600X isn't a bad buy for your money - but you may wanna wait a bit longer. If you are willing to wait, AMD's Ryzen+ (Ryzen refresh) is a few months around the corner. Your choice of RAM is pretty much spot-on as well. Your GPU (GeForce GTX 1060) is an extremely good choice too. If you ever think that budget is going to be a bit tight, you could settle for the GTX 1050 Ti (but I would not recommend downgrading unless absolutely necessary). If you really wanted to kick GPU performance up a notch, you could go for the GTX 1070 instead (costs more). 

But, my biggest gripe(s) are actually related to something(s) that are absent from this list - your peripherals (besides mouse, keyboard, and monitor). You'll also need a mic to record audio. You may also opt for a decent capture card if you're serious about wanting to record quality screen-captures (unless you're willing to go the software route - caveats involved).

39 minutes ago, brob said:

An i7-8700 cpu comes with a stock Intel cooler which would do a decent job. The H7 will do an excellent job cooling that cpu quietly.

I agree, the memory is expensive. Sadly memory prices are ridiculously high at the moment with pricing and availability changing frequently. https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#sort=price&Z=16384002&s=402666,403000,403200,403300,403333,403400,403466,403600,403666&X=0,20277 is a current list of 2x8GB memory suitable for the build. Pick the kit that suits. But check pricing and stock before ordering.

I might just wait a bit and see if the memory price goes down over time.

34 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

You guys are really moving fast! But, I'd make the following general recommendations:

• a CPU with at least 6 cores or more (for CPU-intensive loads)
  • a GeForce GTX 10 Series GPU (for good gaming experience and CUDA-based video encoding options)
  • at least 16GB of DDR4 RAM (for memory intensive workloads)
  • a reliable capture card (for recording)
  • a decent microphone, for voice-over. 

You came pretty close to my current suggestion for the CPU (Intel COre i7 8700K vs. 8700). If you're in the mood for AMD, the RYZEN 5 1600X isn't a bad buy for your money - but you may wanna wait a bit longer. If you are willing to wait, AMD's Ryzen+ (Ryzen refresh) is a few months around the corner as well. Your choice of RAM is pretty much spot-on as well. Your GPU (GeForce GTX 1060) is an extremely good choice as well. If you ever think that budget is going to be a bit tight, you could settle for the GTX 1050 Ti (but I would not recommend downgrading unless absolutely necessary). If you really wanted to kick GPU performance up a notch, you could go for the GTX 1070 instead (costs more). 

But, my biggest gripe(s) are actually related to something(s) that are absent from this list - your peripherals (besides mouse, keyboard, and monitor). You'll also need a mic to record audio. You may also opt for a decent capture card if you're serious about wanting to record quality screen-captures (unless you're willing to go the software route - caveats involved).

At the moment I don’t plan to get the 1070 however I might just wait a bit long and get it instead of a 1060 still debating that.

1 hour ago, brob said:

Also I swapped out the memory to 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jFTPxr/adata-xpg-gammix-d10-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-2666-memory-ax4u266638g16-drg

Is there a cheaper Mother board and processor that won’t mess with the build much? I do need to drop the price preferably.

1 minute ago, Galexywyvern said:

Is there a cheaper Mother board and processor that won’t mess with the build much? I do need to drop the price preferably.

You could drop the Cryorig H7 cpu cooler and use the one that comes with the cpu.

MSI Z370-A PRO and Gigabyte Z370P D3 are about $20 less expensive. Sometime this quarter Intel is expected to announce lower cost 3xx chipsets. This should mean lower cost motherboards. Likely a few will be sub $100.

What about the processor is it worth doing a i7 7700 or maybe a I 5 8600 or 8700? Also how good is the cpu cooler that comes with the I7 8700 will that handle the cooling?

Edited by Galexywyvern

3 hours ago, Galexywyvern said:

What about the processor is it worth doing a i7 7700 or maybe a I 5 8600 or 8700? Also how good is the cpu cooler that comes with the I7 8700 will that handle the cooling?

i7-7700 is a 4-core hyperthreaded cpu. Plus it is a generation out of date.

There is no i5-8600, just a six-core i5-8600K. The advantage of the K cpu is its ability to overclock. But anything saved by moving down from a six-core hyperthreaded i7-8700 will get used for a cpu cooler as K cpu do not come with a stock cooler.

Intel stock coolers will do a decent job. It would not be as good as say an H7, but it is more than adequate at keeping the cpu inside its optimal temperature envelope.

4 hours ago, brob said:

i7-7700 is a 4-core hyperthreaded cpu. Plus it is a generation out of date.

There is no i5-8600, just a six-core i5-8600K. The advantage of the K cpu is its ability to overclock. But anything saved by moving down from a six-core hyperthreaded i7-8700 will get used for a cpu cooler as K cpu do not come with a stock cooler.

Intel stock coolers will do a decent job. It would not be as good as say an H7, but it is more than adequate at keeping the cpu inside its optimal temperature envelope.

Ok and another thing the price of this graphics card this seems to be what a 1080 runs at but it’s a 1060 is there a cheaper one that will still run say 60-80fps on high setting on most games like ark and r6 siege most of all? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/j8tWGX/evga-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-6gb-ssc-gaming-video-card-06g-p4-6267-kr

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vZcBf8