A call for help: Bizzare Audio Issue, at my wits end.

Ikuorai

Hey guys.

Long time lurker, finally made an account.

Let me start off by saying I am a fairly advanced user, and have spent approximately 6 hours troubleshooting this issue.  I have never seen anything like it before.  I have never once had to post anywhere asking for help before, either.

The issue appeared today, either after a restart for approximately 3 Windows Updates, or after driver installs of an AMD RX 570.  I have a 1080TI as my main card, and I was just doing bios installation on the RX 570 using my desktop.

So the problem I am experiencing is this:

If anyone has ever changed their bitrate output of an audio device, it is JUST like that, in a way.  Levels move as expected, but your device can't output the bitrate/hz setting, so it is just silent.

ZERO audio output on any devices, EXCEPT for one of my 3 monitors.  That monitor is hooked up to the DVI output on my 1080ti.  Let's call it monitor #1.

All 3 monitors have speakers.  Only one will work (when selected as default device, or using the "Test" in the Windows audio panel)
I have headphones (Mixamp+A40) hooked to the optical output on my motherboard.  No audio there.
I have speakers hooked to the 3.5mm green plug on the monitor output.  No audio there.
All devices have been tested on other machines, and all are working as expected on other machines.
My speakers exhibit a light "pop" sound occasionally.  Random intervals, single pops only.  Does not seem to coincide with system activity nor with any audio activity.

All devices when selected either as the default device, or when using "Test" in the Windows audio panel, will show activity, with the green output level bar moving as you would expect (when working properly).
Connecting one of the other monitors to the DVI output on my 1080ti does not change anything.  No audio will be outputted to the monitor plugged into the DVI port, unless it is the monitor (#1) that had working audio beforehand.

Using DDU to wipe all Nvidia and AMD drivers does not do anything.
A modified Safe Mode with Networking that allows the audio services to work, with Default Windows Audio drivers, will still show the same problem of green level bars moving as if working, but no output.

Manually setting default devices to each device changes nothing in terms of actual output.  Green level bars will work on all devices.

I have performed a full wipe of Realtek audio drivers, full gpu driver wipes, CMOS reset, power cord pull + PSU switched off for 30m, old Realtek drivers.

I have uninstalled VoiceMeeter (used to split devices and such where needed) and run without it completely, and performed all troubleshooting steps again with it uninstalled.
I have removed 3 of the 3 windows updates that were installed.  Every time though, a new update is listed as being installed today.  In this case, I have KB4022719 listed as being installed today, for whatever reason.  I did not install that update today.  Not sure why it reports that as such.

I have changed all devices output settings to various bitrates, various Hz settings.
I have ensured no devices have Exclusive Mode (application control) turned on.

OS is Windows 7 x64.

Hardware:
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth z170 S
CPU: Intel i7 6700K w/ Corsair H110i cooler
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti SC2
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-3200
SSD1: Crucial MX300 750gb
SSD2: Corsair Force GS 240gb
SSD3: Corsair Force GT 120gb
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Case: Corsair 800D 
Keyboard: Das Keyboard Ultimate S
Mouse: Logitech MX518 (circa 2005)
Main Screen: 1x Dell 27" Gsync 144hz 1440p s2716DG
Side Screens: 2x Asus 23.8" VN248H IPS   <  Monitor #1 is one of these

So the two hints we have are one monitor works (#1), and audio popping from speakers at random intervals, with no discernible cause.
I have yet to try a firmware update on the mobo, nor a Windows reinstall (dear god I want to avoid that at all costs), nor a Windows "repair."

It's like something is somehow intercepting the audio output, and just.. not allowing it.  I'm not sure how to test to see if the mobo is damaged in some way, of if that is even possible.  I suppose a boot usb that can use audio output may work?

Any help that anyone can give will be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

53 minutes ago, Ikuorai said:

Hey guys.

Long time lurker, finally made an account.

Let me start off by saying I am a fairly advanced user, and have spent approximately 6 hours troubleshooting this issue.  I have never seen anything like it before.  I have never once had to post anywhere asking for help before, either.

The issue appeared today, either after a restart for approximately 3 Windows Updates, or after driver installs of an AMD RX 570.  I have a 1080TI as my main card, and I was just doing bios installation on the RX 570 using my desktop.

So the problem I am experiencing is this:

If anyone has ever changed their bitrate output of an audio device, it is JUST like that, in a way.  Levels move as expected, but your device can't output the bitrate/hz setting, so it is just silent.

ZERO audio output on any devices, EXCEPT for one of my 3 monitors.  That monitor is hooked up to the DVI output on my 1080ti.  Let's call it monitor #1.

All 3 monitors have speakers.  Only one will work (when selected as default device, or using the "Test" in the Windows audio panel)
I have headphones (Mixamp+A40) hooked to the optical output on my motherboard.  No audio there.
I have speakers hooked to the 3.5mm green plug on the monitor output.  No audio there.
All devices have been tested on other machines, and all are working as expected on other machines.
My speakers exhibit a light "pop" sound occasionally.  Random intervals, single pops only.  Does not seem to coincide with system activity nor with any audio activity.

All devices when selected either as the default device, or when using "Test" in the Windows audio panel, will show activity, with the green output level bar moving as you would expect (when working properly).
Connecting one of the other monitors to the DVI output on my 1080ti does not change anything.  No audio will be outputted to the monitor plugged into the DVI port, unless it is the monitor (#1) that had working audio beforehand.

Using DDU to wipe all Nvidia and AMD drivers does not do anything.
A modified Safe Mode with Networking that allows the audio services to work, with Default Windows Audio drivers, will still show the same problem of green level bars moving as if working, but no output.

Manually setting default devices to each device changes nothing in terms of actual output.  Green level bars will work on all devices.

I have performed a full wipe of Realtek audio drivers, full gpu driver wipes, CMOS reset, power cord pull + PSU switched off for 30m, old Realtek drivers.

I have uninstalled VoiceMeeter (used to split devices and such where needed) and run without it completely, and performed all troubleshooting steps again with it uninstalled.
I have removed 3 of the 3 windows updates that were installed.  Every time though, a new update is listed as being installed today.  In this case, I have KB4022719 listed as being installed today, for whatever reason.  I did not install that update today.  Not sure why it reports that as such.

I have changed all devices output settings to various bitrates, various Hz settings.
I have ensured no devices have Exclusive Mode (application control) turned on.

OS is Windows 7 x64.

Hardware:
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth z170 S
CPU: Intel i7 6700K w/ Corsair H110i cooler
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti SC2
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-3200
SSD1: Crucial MX300 750gb
SSD2: Corsair Force GS 240gb
SSD3: Corsair Force GT 120gb
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Case: Corsair 800D 
Keyboard: Das Keyboard Ultimate S
Mouse: Logitech MX518 (circa 2005)
Main Screen: 1x Dell 27" Gsync 144hz 1440p s2716DG
Side Screens: 2x Asus 23.8" VN248H IPS   <  Monitor #1 is one of these

So the two hints we have are one monitor works (#1), and audio popping from speakers at random intervals, with no discernible cause.
I have yet to try a firmware update on the mobo, nor a Windows reinstall (dear god I want to avoid that at all costs), nor a Windows "repair."

It's like something is somehow intercepting the audio output, and just.. not allowing it.  I'm not sure how to test to see if the mobo is damaged in some way, of if that is even possible.  I suppose a boot usb that can use audio output may work?

Any help that anyone can give will be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Hey there! Welcome to the forums. 

Thanks for the details, I am by no means a professional but everything you have done I would have tried myself...  How old is the MOBO? All though I have never seen it happen I wonder if there is a chance your on board audio chip just packed it in?

Don't know if I missed it in your post but have you tried disabling all audio devices ---> ensuring no audio is going through your GPU and into your monitors or anywhere else ---> enabling & plugging in just one device at a time with default bit rates etc.   I'm sure you have just ruling it out..

Another thing would be to ensure you have the correct drivers installed and be sure you don't have multiple drivers on top of each other, I have had this happen with GPU drivers and it really causes issues with video settings, booting etc.. maybe this has happened in the process of you troubleshooting?  Are you in a situation that you could do a complete reinstall of windows?

I have had issues with various audio devices plugged into my PC at once and one somehow getting priority over others. Ensure one device is plugged in at a time and don't use GPU audio.

If you are still very stuck and want a bit of improved audio experience anyway, I ended up just purchasing an entry level USB DAC+Headphone amp.   It has RCA outs that I send to a small desktop amp + micca bookshelf speakers, I also have a couple sets of headphones that the DAC/AMP does a great job driving.  Having a USB audio interface will take any audio processing off your mobo and take care of it so it should eliminate your issue.  If you wanted a cheap way of doing this there are plenty of 5-10$ "Usb sound cards" on amazon (links below) that you could try?

Sorry I cannot be more help, hopefully someone sees your post that has more knowledge of the subject.

LINKS:

Cheap USB Sound card:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-Headphone-Microphone-Desktops/dp/B01N905VOY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1515314334&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=USB+sound+card&psc=1

Entry level Dac amp I have:

https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-Optical-Coaxial-Amplifier/dp/B072JJT7SF/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515314531&sr=1-1&keywords=FX%2B-%2BAudio%2Bdac%2Bx6&th=1

List of Dacs / Amps:

Spoiler

Hope I have been some helps 

Cheers!

Just did that.  No dice.

DDU wiped all GPU drivers, clean restart, installed new Nvidia drivers.  Still only getting audio on a single HDMI (dvi) device.
I also just did a firmware update to the Z170S using the onboard web-connect tool, in the bios.

Just loaded Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 onto a usb drive in case I have to go the repair in place/reinstall route tomorrow.  Man I do not want to have to deal with that.

Update:  Did an in place upgrade to the same version of Windows, to no avail.  Issue remains.

Starting to wonder if I need to RMA my motherboard.