GT 330M or Integrated graphics?

I've been looking for a cheap laptop that can run games like DoTA2 and CS:GO (Budget is 300-500 CAD) and I found this guy trying to get rid of an old Samsung R580 for $160 but it doesn't have a hard drive.
GT 330M

Intel Core i5-520M
4gb ddr3
(and it comes with one of those laptop cooling fan plates.)

I'm not very knowledgeable on computers, so would this laptop be a good investment or would newer integrated gpus be better?

p.s. can this laptop even run my games? 

I would really scratch my head, and ask this seller why he/she is trying to scam you. Not worth your time. Go find laptops in the upper range of your budget. (or 550-600 and talk them down)

PS: If you are going for integrated graphics, you might want to consider an AMD laptop. AMD integrated graphics usually kill intell integrated graphics.

2 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

PS: If you are going for integrated graphics, you might want to consider an AMD laptop. AMD integrated graphics usually kill intell integrated graphics.

I've heard Amd heats up a lot so I usually try to avoid them, is this still the case?

All laptops can get hot, depending on how you use them and how well you clean them... My GF has an 2 year old AMD based laptop, with an A10 APU in it. 12 gb of ram too. She paid like 650 euro's back then for it.

I am using an APU only in my desktop, and never have any heat issues. (but I'm using a broken/fixed OLD aftermarket CPU cooler...)

1 hour ago, Ethycan said:

I've heard Amd heats up a lot so I usually try to avoid them, is this still the case?

Not the case with new Ryzen mobile and desktop CPUs.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 1/6/2018 at 10:12 AM, Ethycan said:

I've been looking for a cheap laptop that can run games like DoTA2 and CS:GO (Budget is 300-500 CAD) and I found this guy trying to get rid of an old Samsung R580 for $160 but it doesn't have a hard drive.
GT 330M

Intel Core i5-520M
4gb ddr3
(and it comes with one of those laptop cooling fan plates.)

I'm not very knowledgeable on computers, so would this laptop be a good investment or would newer integrated gpus be better?

p.s. can this laptop even run my games? 

Yes it will run CS GO but you won't be happy with the result. If you buy that unit, your actual cost would be over $200 because you need to add a hard drive. Even if it comes with a hard drive you're already paying too much for a first generation i5 at $160. 

Here's the most practical advice I can give you if you're on a very tight budget:

DOTA will run on virtually anything released in the past 7 years, it's CS GO that requires more. Try looking for a laptop with a GT6xx series or better graphics card. The GT640M is the most common. It will be able to run CS GO at around 38 frames per second (FPS) at low settings. It won't be buttery smooth but it's playable. The GT6xx is your minimum with GTX9xx as the ideal if you can find a good deal.

For the processor, avoid Dual Core and Celeron completely. Stick with i5 and i7 and set the minimum to 3rd generation CPU. They're called Ivy Bridge and will have model numbers like i5-3xx0M, i53xx7U, i5-3xxSY, i7-36x0QM, i7-37xxXM, Look for i5-33xxM and i7-3630QM. These CPUs perform at 2GHz and comes with improved integrated graphics. 

Ideal would be an i7-3630QM + GT640M + 4GB RAM + 500GB hard drive unit at around $200.