Laptop for computer science major in college

I'm a computer science major who is looking for a good laptop that can last for a long time. Price is not an issue because I have saved up a lot(lets say around 2500USD). I want to be able to surf the web, watch videos, and do homework for at least 6+ hours. I also want to at least game on mid to high with smooth frame rates or an option for thunderbolt 3 eGPU (eGPU preferred and battery life when gaming is unnecessary). It obviously needs to be portable and have good enough customer support and quality control. I was thinking about dual-booting a 15" MBP with windows but I'm not to familiar with IOS or dual-booting.

3 minutes ago, Jerry1oo said:

I'm a computer science major who is looking for a good laptop that can last for a long time. Price is not an issue because I have saved up a lot(lets say around 2500USD). I want to be able to surf the web, watch videos, and do homework for at least 6+ hours. I also want to at least game on mid to high with smooth frame rates or an option for thunderbolt 3 eGPU (eGPU preferred and battery life when gaming is unnecessary). It obviously needs to be portable and have good enough customer support and quality control. I was thinking about dual-booting a 15" MBP with windows but I'm not to familiar with IOS or dual-booting.

XPS 15, although Dell is about due for a refresh on the XPS line.  if you really have 2500 to spend you will get a very nice machine.

MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro. Comes with a GTX 1060 6Gb so eGPU needs shouldn't be too big, but it does also have a Thunderbolt 3 port. Also 16Gb memory, 256Gb NVMe SSD + 2Tb HDD

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5JUPWO/ref=twister_B01N80K44L?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro. Comes with a GTX 1060 6Gb so eGPU needs shouldn't be too big, but it does also have a Thunderbolt 3 port. Also 16Gb memory, 256Gb NVMe SSD + 2Tb HDD

11 minutes ago, Jerry1oo said:

I want to be able to surf the web, watch videos, and do homework for at least 6+ hours.

5a4fe2e1a5342_MSIGS63VR.PNG.1b0b8731f80df7810f6ef7e1d9ff9e84.PNG

1 minute ago, InertiaSelling said:

-snip-

Had in fact missed that.

Lenovo ThinkPad P50 has decent battery life from what I recall, up to 8 hours...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Aero 15x - it has a 7700hq, 1070 max q, tb3 and insane battery for what it is.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

12 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

XPS 15, although Dell is about due for a refresh on the XPS line.  if you really have 2500 to spend you will get a very nice machine.

I was looking at that but most of the reviews i read said it was a good laptop but had so much bloatware and pop ups.

3 minutes ago, Jerry1oo said:

I was looking at that but most of the reviews i read said it was a good laptop but had so much bloatware and pop ups.

Can't you just uninstall the bloatware? Or just do a reinstall of windows when/if you get the machine, and install only the necessary drivers? Yes it is a lot of hassle, but really I'd recommend doing that after any pre-built purchase, you don't know what might come preinstalled. 

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Jerry1oo said:

I have the XPS 13 and there was almost no bloatware or pop ups

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

3 minutes ago, Assassinguy2623 said:

I like the razer blade stealth 

36 minutes ago, Jerry1oo said:

It obviously needs to [...] have good enough customer support and quality control.

Razer's QC and customer support are notoriously terrible.

Behold their new XPS

csm_IMG_20171207_121339_dc0e7edd28.thumb.jpg.500ffea09bb531fb7db0c48c1d6be9e6.jpg

csm_IMG_20171207_122803_ffcdaddc49.thumb.jpg.6bbaf318b1ceee13c4136deaa6849331.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

@Jerry1oo I agree with @NumLock21 and @TheGlenlivet about the XPS 15. If you're okay with its controversial hinge, the surface book 2 could be another good option, since it's sturdy, powerful, and has an outstanding battery life. Its only actual flaw is its 95w charger, which can't charge it while it's operating at peak performance (~105w), but it shouldn't be an issue if your workload never stresses both the CPU and GPU at 100%. Also, you don't need to spend $2500 to get a powerful, sturdy 15" laptop with great battery life from a reputable brand. For example, you could get a 15" lenovo ideapad 720, which checks the boxes, and you'd be left with $1500 to spend on a gaming desktop, a nice trip, or whatever.

Thanks for all the feedback. Ill take your guys advice on the XPS 15 but I think ill wait for the 2018 refresh.