Xeon 1231v3 VS i7 6700HQ

So, I've looked up comparisons online between these two CPU's and it seems like they are mostly pretty equal in CPU performance, with the Xeon generally pulling a little further ahead. My question is why does it seem like when I actually compare machines, the Xeon absolutely blows the i7 out of the water? Like with my desktop I can easily watch a 1080p60fps twitch stream, use discord, have lots of chrome tabs open, and be playing LoL, or GTAV, or Just Cause 2 with no issues, but on both my machines with i7 6700HQ's they struggle to even keep 60fps at times in LoL if I also have a stream open? It seems like there shouldn't be THAT big of a difference. I know you can't really directly compare laptop CPU's to desktop CPU's, but I was just pretty surprised at the difference between the two.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

2 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

My question is why does it seem like when I actually compare machines, the Xeon absolutely blows the i7 out of the water? 

because the xeon is a proper desktop CPU that can run at 3.4 GHz base all day and the 6700HQ is a mobile CPU that only runs at 2.6 GHz and can EVENTUALLY boost up to 3.5GHz occasionally if the weak laptop cooling even allows it. 

the difference might not be that big on paper but in the real world, it IS that big

also - what GPU is in that laptop ? 

1 minute ago, KenjiUmino said:

what GPU is in that laptop ? 

OP's forum signature indicates either GTX 970M or GTX 960M

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, KenjiUmino said:

because the xeon is a proper desktop CPU that can run at 3.4 GHz base all day and the 6700HQ is a mobile CPU that only runs at 2.6 GHz and can EVENTUALLY boost up to 3.5GHz occasionally if the weak laptop cooling even allows it. 

the difference might not be that big on paper but in the real world, it IS that big

also - what GPU is in that laptop ? 

I have two different machines that both have the i7 6700HQ in them, the Blade 14 which has a 6GB 970m, and a Dell Inspiron with a 4GB 960m. I've checked temps and clocks on both, they all remained fine (under 75c for the blade, and under 65c for the Dell). They were running at 3.1 to 3.2 Ghz as well, I almost never see them clock down to 2.6ghz

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

They were running at 3.1 to 3.2 Ghz as well, I almost never see them clock down to 2.6ghz

3.2 is still nothing against that 3.4 base clock and slightly bigger cache of the xeon even with the HQ being improved architecture - the xeon can boost to 3.8 GHz.

laptop CPU < desktop CPU - ALWAYS. 

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

3.2 is still nothing against that 3.4 base clock and slightly bigger cache of the xeon even with the HQ being improved architecture - the xeon can boost to 3.8 GHz.

laptop CPU < desktop CPU - ALWAYS. 

Yeah, I get that desktop CPU's will generally always be more powerful but I'm a bit skeptical of the gap. And you should never say always, a 6700HQ would beat a E8300 any day of the week.

Just now, Theguywhobea said:

a 6700HQ would beat a E8300 any day of the week.

yeah ... obviously ... i knew something like this would come up. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

yeah ... obviously ... i knew something like this would come up. 

lol then why did you say "laptop CPU < desktop CPU - ALWAYS. " if you knew there would be cases where it wasn't true?

A bigger reason the desktop wins is the Gpu, a 970m is closer to the performance of a 760 or 770.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

A bigger reason the desktop wins is the Gpu, a 970m is closer to the performance of a 760 or 770.

Well in LoL it shouldn't matter that much right? Both the 970m and 960m get 100+ fps if that's the only thing I'm doing, it's just when I have other things open like a stream, I was guessing that it was becoming more CPU bound at that point.