GPU TWEAK II fan service crashing?

Go to solution Solved by FootLoops,
22 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

When you do uninstall it though, it's likely going to say that the asus gpu fan service is running. You need to go into task manager and kill the process. Then it'll work.

Note that you'll lose any overclocks you have in GPU Tweak so go in and write down what you did if you don't have it memorized like I do.

The solution to this problem is to update gpu tweak. Asus just released the new version and that fixed it for me.

This as well happened to me today to my Strix gtx 1050 ti, my windows 10 had a small update and this error shows up twice every time i start up. My fans do spin when I'm playing games though, so my guess is that it has something to do with the software not hardware. I also tried uninstalling Asus GPU Tweek || and then reinstalling but it kept coming up with the error. All across the internet this issue has been blowing up today and many people with asus strix 10 series cards have the same issue hopefully soon Asus will resolve the problem.

Screenshot (21).png

14 hours ago, Misdestos said:

Thanks for the help. Yep, with a Ryzen 1700x and GTX 1080 the problem was the Windows update (in my case KB4056890 from January 6) , I uninstalled it and blocked the updates and it seems to work fine. 

So, maybe wait for a month?

Huh weird nine is KB4056892 instead of KB4056890 even though I have ryzen as well.

Same issue here with a GTX 1070 and Ryzen 7 1700x. Uninstalling KB4056892 seems to solve the problem.

same here with a GTX 1070 TI and Intel 7700k. Also uninstalled KB4056892 and the problem is gone...

Waiting for an update, paused windows update so far.

Finished my new build in December that consists of a asus z370-i and strix 1080 A8G. All working well then got that asusgpufanex.exe error this morning. I’ve paused windows update and uninstalled the Microsoft security update that was posted earlier. My gpu fans started spinning and gpu tweak worked fineafter. However, after a while  my pc goes into a shutdown like state that I cannot power up from. I have to disconnect the mains for about a minute then power up. It’s definitely an over heating sign. When I power up again all my bios settings have gone back to default and the asus z370-I motherboard wants to resetup all devices again. This happens now consistently and even if I leave the bios settings stock, same thing happens, pc won’t power up and have to reset devices in the bios. Anyone think my issue is related to the other described issues in this post?

18 hours ago, Misdestos said:

Thanks for the help. Yep, with a Ryzen 1700x and GTX 1080 the problem was the Windows update (in my case KB4056890 from January 6) , I uninstalled it and blocked the updates and it seems to work fine. 

So, maybe wait for a month?

i dont know if unistall a win update for meltdown and spectre is a good idea mate

i removed last WINDOWS 10 update, all works perfectly now.

2 hours ago, arikun said:

i dont know if unistall a win update for meltdown and spectre is a good idea mate

Thanks arikun, but I unistalled the update and everything is working fine, as others, yesterday I had flickering from my GPU and CPU freezing, some "cole whine" I noticed, Also I wrote to Microsoft and they said that my problem is AlSuite for my processor and GPU Tweak (outdated they said), that I must contact Asus for the problem, when the issue is the Windows Update......

I think that uninstall the update is not the very best think to do, but if I didn't, my GPU would be fryied as chicken. Maybe wating for some days is the answer......

7 hours ago, FootLoops said:

Huh weird nine is KB4056892 instead of KB4056890 even though I have ryzen as well.

Yeah,  maybe the reason is that I am in Mexico? I don't know, but windows update reported the update as KB4056890 (Jan 6), deleting it solved my problem so far. And also disabling the updates from windows 10. Yesterday my GPU was flickering and the ryzen was getting warm, freezing games like AC Origins, I noticed that as my GPU RGB (on temp mode) was blinking red. 

20 minutes ago, Misdestos said:

Yeah,  maybe the reason is that I am in Mexico? I don't know, but windows update reported the update as KB4056890 (Jan 6), deleting it solved my problem so far. And also disabling the updates from windows 10. Yesterday my GPU was flickering and the ryzen was getting warm, freezing games like AC Origins, I noticed that as my GPU RGB (on temp mode) was blinking red. 

I haven't touched my gaming rig with this issue as im just gonna wait for a patch, but i should be fine since it's on idle.

15 minutes ago, FootLoops said:

I haven't touched my gaming rig with this issue as im just gonna wait for a patch, but i should be fine since it's on idle.

Hey!, I just found this:

And this:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98800-AI-Suite-3-Beta-Version-3-00-10-user-test-report-thread

There's an Al Suite III beta that seems to work with the KB4056892 released by Asus, I'll check it right now. 

22 minutes ago, Misdestos said:

Hey!, I just found this:

And this:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98800-AI-Suite-3-Beta-Version-3-00-10-user-test-report-thread

There's an Al Suite III beta that seems to work with the KB4056892 released by Asus, I'll check it right now. 

I don't use ai suite because of all the bugs the users report in. I only use gpu tweak and cam by nzxt

10 hours ago, zekebot said:

Finished my new build in December that consists of a asus z370-i and strix 1080 A8G. All working well then got that asusgpufanex.exe error this morning. I’ve paused windows update and uninstalled the Microsoft security update that was posted earlier. My gpu fans started spinning and gpu tweak worked fineafter. However, after a while  my pc goes into a shutdown like state that I cannot power up from. I have to disconnect the mains for about a minute then power up. It’s definitely an over heating sign. When I power up again all my bios settings have gone back to default and the asus z370-I motherboard wants to resetup all devices again. This happens now consistently and even if I leave the bios settings stock, same thing happens, pc won’t power up and have to reset devices in the bios. Anyone think my issue is related to the other described issues in this post?

If you can, get into windows and check event viewer. Then go into the system tab. This will tell you what caused it to shut down. 

i uninstalled the update but the gpu tweek is still giving me problems. every time i reboot my computer the resolution of my screen will change. am i doing something wrong? i also today reinstalled my drivers for my 1060 gtx stix can anyone help?

10 hours ago, JBJustBusiness said:

image.png.de40ed0fe1fbe4eb29bcc0067c842dfc.png

The resolution of your screen is the drivers of the gpu. Gpu tweak shouldn't be affecting your resolution. Did you make sure to install the right drivers for your gpu?

i'm selling my 1080TI STRIX OC, i have ordered EVGA 1080TI FTW with 3 display port, bye bye asus.

1 hour ago, FootLoops said:

The resolution of your screen is the drivers of the gpu. Gpu tweak shouldn't be affecting your resolution. Did you make sure to install the right drivers for your gpu?

yes i used the original disk

i have uninstalled all drivers again in including the windows update. every time i open gpu tweek 2 my resolution keeps changing. as soon as i close gpu tweek my resolution changes back to normal?

1 hour ago, JBJustBusiness said:

i have uninstalled all drivers again in including the windows update. every time i open gpu tweek 2 my resolution keeps changing. as soon as i close gpu tweek my resolution changes back to normal?

That's odd. Try MSI afterburner then.

The fan service is breaking because I assume it's causing chips to make branch target predictions into kernel space but never actually branches.

Also, I really don't suggest uninstalling the last hot fix for Intel/AMD chips because it patches a pretty big vulnerability. Just because it makes a part of the fan driver work correctly doesn't mean its a solution by any means as it comes with a terrible trade-off since now the information regarding Meltdown and Spectre have been publicly released. Setting a user-defined fan curve on a custom profile will allow the fans to spin without having to undo any security updates.

Fans are spinning despite the fan service crashing.

meme0005.PNG.7df20b8487d5263db12886906858a68e.PNG

39 minutes ago, pooptato said:

The fan service is breaking because I assume it's causing windows to make branch target predictions into kernel space but never actually branches.

Also, I really don't suggest uninstalling the last hot fix for Intel/AMD chips because it patches a pretty big vulnerability. Just because it makes a part of the fan driver work correctly doesn't mean its a solution by any means as it comes with a terrible trade-off since now the information regarding Meltdown and Spectre have been publicly released. Setting a user-defined fan curve on a custom profile will allow the fans to spin without having to undo any security updates.

Fans are spinning despite the fan service crashing.

meme0005.PNG.7df20b8487d5263db12886906858a68e.PNG

How do I set a fan curve? I haven't been able to play games for 3 days lol.

I had a bunch of issues with GPU tweak II after a recent windows update.

You probably need to just download the newest version, uninstall and reinstall it.

Worked for me.

3 hours ago, FootLoops said:

How do I set a fan curve? I haven't been able to play games for 3 days lol.

Go to professional mode, go to the profile you want to edit, apply it, scroll down to the fan section, click "user defined", click the little gear icon to the right of it, and then you can set your fan curve in the screen that opens.

1 hour ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Go to professional mode, go to the profile you want to edit, apply it, scroll down to the fan section, click "user defined", click the little gear icon to the right of it, and then you can set your fan curve in the screen that opens.

Thank you!