GPU TWEAK II fan service crashing?

Go to solution Solved by FootLoops,
22 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

When you do uninstall it though, it's likely going to say that the asus gpu fan service is running. You need to go into task manager and kill the process. Then it'll work.

Note that you'll lose any overclocks you have in GPU Tweak so go in and write down what you did if you don't have it memorized like I do.

The solution to this problem is to update gpu tweak. Asus just released the new version and that fixed it for me.

1 hour ago, stateofpsychosis said:

No problem ;) 

When I try to do that, it still says Asusfanservice thing crashed...

I reverted back to the previous version of Windows and everything worked as it should. I updated it back to the new version of Windows just to test it and see if the gpu was working properly and I got this 

46E8FCCE-B22F-4F9B-B281-F0D0DEA166AD.thumb.jpeg.db2659c17ec27e0079e1a8e8e2388381.jpeg

on cam software it shows my fans around 70% like my overclock profile says and my temps are at 64 which is also normal. So even though I’m showing that message that the fans aren’t working everything seems to be normal according to cam. 

6 hours ago, Nj54880 said:

I reverted back to the previous version of Windows and everything worked as it should. I updated it back to the new version of Windows just to test it and see if the gpu was working properly and I got this 

46E8FCCE-B22F-4F9B-B281-F0D0DEA166AD.thumb.jpeg.db2659c17ec27e0079e1a8e8e2388381.jpeg

on cam software it shows my fans around 70% like my overclock profile says and my temps are at 64 which is also normal. So even though I’m showing that message that the fans aren’t working everything seems to be normal according to cam. 

Couldn't I just uninstall gpu tweak and use MSI afterburner? What's the difference between them? Infact MSI afterburner can display temps in game and even cpu temps.

15 hours ago, FootLoops said:

When I try to do that, it still says Asusfanservice thing crashed...

Did you uninstall gpu tweak II and then install the latest version yet?

I had to do that.

10 hours ago, FootLoops said:

Couldn't I just uninstall gpu tweak and use MSI afterburner? What's the difference between them? Infact MSI afterburner can display temps in game and even cpu temps.

I think you can use msi afterburner on a Asus gpu but I’m not familiar with afterburner. All I’ve used is tweak II and it seems to be working fine even though it’s displaying the fan error message. 

The answer is kind of disconcerting to me.

I don't think it's a good time to turn off windows updates with the current Meltdown and Spectre bug going on.

It's probably the worst time ever to do that.

OP, I'd keep trying other things to solve this.

Maybe try some different versions of GPU tweek II.

Try the generic one that you can google and try the one on your Asus driver page for your card. 

I used the one from the driver page and my similar errors went away immediately.

You'd be better off just turning off any overclocks you have and uninstalling GPU Tweek II for now if it doesn't go away. I strongly suggest against turning off windows updates right now.

Read about Meltdown and Spectre.

This is not a good time to do that.

4 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Did you uninstall gpu tweak II and then install the latest version yet?

I had to do that.

Already tried that

1 minute ago, FootLoops said:

Already tried that

Read my last comment after that.

You can try the generic version and the version on your Asus driver page. They're different. Or you could even download older versions and try those.

Either way, you're better off turning off your overclock and uninstalling GPU Tweak II for now.

That'd be much safer than turning off windows updates right while we're waiting for updates to protect us from meltdown and spectre. It's the worst time ever to turn off windows updates.

I'm trying to solve this issue by deleting the old Windows update but every time I delete it it asks me to restart and if I restart it installs again...

I have already tried turning auto update off, setting my connection to methered and so on.

Do you know any way to solve this, so my gpu fans will stop running at 0%?

Thank you in advance :)

2 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Read my last comment after that.

You can try the generic version and the version on your Asus driver page. They're different. Or you could even download older versions and try those.

Either way, you're better off turning off your overclock and uninstalling GPU Tweak II for now.

That'd be much safer than turning off windows updates right while we're waiting for updates to protect us from meltdown and spectre. It's the worst time ever to turn off windows updates.

Already tried that too. And I never overclocked. And I kinda need gpu tweak for temps.

On 1/9/2018 at 9:43 AM, pooptato said:

The fan service is breaking because I assume it's causing chips to make branch target predictions into kernel space but never actually branches.

Also, I really don't suggest uninstalling the last hot fix for Intel/AMD chips because it patches a pretty big vulnerability. Just because it makes a part of the fan driver work correctly doesn't mean its a solution by any means as it comes with a terrible trade-off since now the information regarding Meltdown and Spectre have been publicly released. Setting a user-defined fan curve on a custom profile will allow the fans to spin without having to undo any security updates.

Fans are spinning despite the fan service crashing.

meme0005.PNG.7df20b8487d5263db12886906858a68e.PNG

Since i'm here, is it normal for my gpu base clock thing on the monitor to be around like 300ish in idle? And spike to like 1633mhz on chrome to say? Before it was a static 1633mhz on idle, and on load it was 2050mhz.

20 hours ago, Nj54880 said:

I think you can use msi afterburner on a Asus gpu but I’m not familiar with afterburner. All I’ve used is tweak II and it seems to be working fine even though it’s displaying the fan error message. 

This is exactly what I did. Installed MSI afterburner with Riva tuner.

The Asus tweak software (latest December issue) failed after the Microsoft windows update on my Windows 10 gaming machine.

My current card is an Asus  Strix GTX1060 (my Strix GTX970's warrant replacement, failed fans)

MSI afterburner with Riva is IMHO a better piece of software, it works with the Intel update etc.

I would recommend keeping the latest windows security updates.

My older versions of 3D mark (03 and 06) also failed, my latest steam version of 3D mark did not.

For an older benchmark and useful for checking temps after running a programme try Heaven benchmark 4, uses the Unreal engine used by many games today.

I use HardWare monitor to check my systems fans and temp etc. Whatever is your choice of monitoring software will work.

Already tried that too. And I never overclocked. And I kinda need gpu tweak for temps.

There are tons of programs you can use for temps. I like hwinfo64 myself since it's the most detailed I've found.

10 hours ago, FootLoops said:

Since i'm here, is it normal for my gpu base clock thing on the monitor to be around like 300ish in idle? And spike to like 1633mhz on chrome to say? Before it was a static 1633mhz on idle, and on load it was 2050mhz.

You want it to clock down, but you can set it so it doesn't clock down while gaming.

Go to Nvidia control panel - manage 3d settings - power management mode and change it to "prefer maximum performance".

It'll still clock down at idle, but if you even have a browser window open, it won't.

10 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

You want it to clock down, but you can set it so it doesn't clock down while gaming.

Go to Nvidia control panel - manage 3d settings - power management mode and change it to "prefer maximum performance".

It'll still clock down at idle, but if you even have a browser window open, it won't.

Asus just released the new update for gpu tweak which fixes this issue. Should I uninstall gpu tweak first, restart computer, and install the new version? Or will the new version automatically delete the old one?

40 minutes ago, FootLoops said:

Asus just released the new update for gpu tweak which fixes this issue. Should I uninstall gpu tweak first, restart computer, and install the new version? Or will the new version automatically delete the old one?

Uninstall it first. That's what I always do. I don't restart first, but now that you mention it, that's never a bad idea. 

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm updating mine now too.

It sure would be nice if live update ever worked and did this for you :P

14 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Uninstall it first. That's what I always do. I don't restart first, but now that you mention it, that's never a bad idea. 

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm updating mine now too.

It sure would be nice if live update ever worked and did this for you :P

Now I can't see the new version... It's showing me the old one..

32 minutes ago, FootLoops said:

Now I can't see the new version... It's showing me the old one..

Where are you looking? The generic gpu tweak II page or the asus support page for your card?   

If the latter, I really recommend using the exact model number for your card not just going by the name. Some of the names are very similar. 

I always go to my saved pcpartpicker list and get the exact model number.

If you don't have that, go to the page you ordered it from, look at the order history, and pull the model number off of the product's page.

That's what I'm guessing is happening.

Easy mistake to make since they're naming can be so confusing.

It doesn't make any sense that that would suddenly disappear.

When you do uninstall it though, it's likely going to say that the asus gpu fan service is running. You need to go into task manager and kill the process. Then it'll work.

Note that you'll lose any overclocks you have in GPU Tweak so go in and write down what you did if you don't have it memorized like I do.

2 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

After a while the new version showed up. And I already uninstalled it and installed the new version. And yay no crash!!

thanks for the info! tonight I'll try it

16 hours ago, FootLoops said:

After a while the new version showed up. And I already uninstalled it and installed the new version. And yay no crash!!

Update the solution to this if you can to say to update GPU Tweak II instead of turning off that windows update.

22 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

The solution to this problem is to update gpu tweak. Asus just released the new version and that fixed it for me.

On Tue Jan 09 2018 at 5:01 PM, Nj54880 said:

Hey sorry to revive this thread, but is cam good? I was thinking of using it to monitor my CPU temps.