DDR5 Ram

Anyone know when DDR5 RAM is going to release? 

"I don't know what your problem is, but it seems like you don't like me. Besides, I can't put you in any mood - you put yourself into a 'mood' when you take the little things personally."

A 2016 presentation by Intel suggested a JEDEC plan to release a 2016 DDR5 SDRAM specification with the memory being available for end user purchase in 2020.[1]

In March 2017, JEDEC announced its plan for the DDR5 specification release in 2018. JEDEC's Server Forum 2017[3][4] claims a date to offer a DDR5 SDRAM preview on June 19, 2017 accompanied by a DDR5 SDRAM Workshop on October 31 – November 1, 2017.[5]

This wikipedia article suggests that the standard will be published late this year, and will be implemented in consumer CPUs / motherboards by around 2020. 

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

the bigger question here is why would you need that kind of speed in a consumer PC?

i mean, yeah in professional workloads i can see why but you really won't benefit that greatly from it in any old gaming rig.

3 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

the bigger question here is why would you need that kind of speed in a consumer PC?

i mean, yeah in professional workloads i can see why but you really won't benefit that greatly from it in any old gaming rig.

I agree, you almost certainly wouldn't. I just assumed OP was curious about the release date, and its potential affects on RAM pricing. As it is DDR3 is still probably much more than enough for most people. 

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

8 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

For the business:

• People will buy it, and likely pay through the nose for it

For consumers:

• HWBot scores
  • Marginal FPS gains in scenarios where one isn't limited by GPU performance (e.g. 1080p gaming)
  • Something to help mitigate ePeen-rectile dysfunction

• 3 months later...
On 1/5/2018 at 10:58 AM, RollinLower said:

You seem to forget that programmers are super lazy and that the increase in computer speed is always countered by slower programs running on top of hundreds of libraries and counting