Beginner ram question / suggestions

So im planning on upgrading my ram in the next days but im completly new into that kind of stuff. Im currently using dual channel ddr4 each with with 4 gb and want to upgrade to 2 8gb sticks (or 1 16gb? if thats better) but have no idea what to look for when I buy them. Any suggestions what I could buy? Mainboard is a MSI B150 Gaming M3 (MS-7978) 2.0 if that helps. Using my computer only for gaming and I saw in taskmanager that its easily at 80-100% usage when I play some games. Price is not that inportant (like 200€ max? dunno where good ones start) Any suggestions?

Also sorry for not good english :/

Any ram with 3000mhz ~ 3200mhz and have cas 15/16 rating is a good start. You can never go wrong with it and there is no point in going any higher than that unless you are on a ryzen system or you are a high end enthusiastic.

Always go for dual channel, if you want 16 GB then go  2x8GB, if you want 32GB then go 2x16GB. Only buy a single stick if you plan on upgrading again in the future but i think 16GB is all a normal user need for now. No point in going any higher than that for just playing games.

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

Honestly, the only thing you should look for is speed, and on intel platforms, that's not very important anyway.

get the cheapest DDR4 16GB you can find at the speed you want. two sticks are better if possible.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I just went through your board details 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B150-GAMING-M3.html

This is the board you have right? 

If it is then there is no point in going with high speed ram cause your board only supports upto 2133mhz DDR4 Ram

"Supports DDR4-2133 Memory" 

Just make sure that whatever ram you buy with that Speed it have at least cas 16 rating. 

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

6 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

I just went through your board details 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B150-GAMING-M3.html

This is the board you have right? 

If it is then there is no point in going with high speed ram cause your board only supports upto 2133mhz DDR4 Ram

"Supports DDR4-2133 Memory" 

Just make sure that whatever ram you buy with that Speed it have at least cas 16 rating. 

Yea this is my board, thanks for pointing that out with the 2133mhz i wouldnt realized that myself.. :$

Browsing through the web looking for something i guess this is the best I found yet? Allthough it only has 15 cas rating ( its the CL in my language)

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/16GB-G-Skill-Value-DDR4-2133-DIMM-CL15-Dual-Kit_1013784.html

1 minute ago, Bonedog said:

Yea this is my board, thanks for pointing that out with the 2133mhz i wouldnt realized that myself.. :$

Browsing through the web looking for something i guess this is the best I found yet? Allthough it only has 15 cas rating ( its the CL in my language)

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/16GB-G-Skill-Value-DDR4-2133-DIMM-CL15-Dual-Kit_1013784.html

The cas rating is kinda reverse in that the lower the better

ex - a cas 15 is better than a cas 16 and a cas 16 is better than cas 17

just buy form any reputed manufactures that offer limited life time warranty and you are good to go.  

1 minute ago, DeadlyTitan said:

The cas rating is kinda reverse in that the lower the better

ex - a cas 15 is better than a cas 16 and a cas 16 is better than cas 17

just buy form any reputed manufactures that offer limited life time warranty and you are good to go.  

Alright thanks for the help:) One last question- on many sites where I can order the 2133mhz ones they are the least you can get. Is it a big difference in speed? Because im kinda  surprised that my board doesnt support higher ones since it wasnt a low end board when I ordered it atleast^^

3 minutes ago, Bonedog said:

Alright thanks for the help:) One last question- on many sites where I can order the 2133mhz ones they are the least you can get. Is it a big difference in speed? Because im kinda  surprised that my board doesnt support higher ones since it wasnt a low end board when I ordered it atleast^^

intel boards that aren't Z-series (CPU overclockable) don't support overclocking of anything, and any RAM over 2133 is technically overclocking.

doesn't make a huge difference, 3% maybe, but still annoying that intel does that.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

intel boards that aren't Z-series (CPU overclockable) don't support overclocking of anything, and any RAM over 2133 is technically overclocking.

doesn't make a huge difference, 3% maybe, but still annoying that intel does that.

alright thanks for the informations, guess im good to go

3 minutes ago, Bonedog said:

You can still put the higher speed ones on your board and they will work fine, but they will downclock to what your board supports. 

Example you bought a 3200Mhz ram and install it in your board then it downclocks to 2133Mhz which your board supports. most of the time (around 99% of the time) there are no problems with it.

The speed difference in rams is not even noticeable for average user. Its only noticeable when you are running memory intensive programs. its kinda different on ryzen systems in which the faster your ram the more FPS you gain in your games but in intel it counts to nothing, maybe you will see a max of 3 fps difference but not much. 

2 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

You can still put the higher speed ones on your board and they will work fine, but they will downclock to what your board supports. 

Example you bought a 3200Mhz ram and install it in your board then it downclocks to 2133Mhz which your board supports. most of the time (around 99% of the time) there are no problems with it.

The speed difference in rams is not even noticeable for average user. Its only noticeable when you are running memory intensive programs. its kinda different on ryzen systems in which the faster your ram the more FPS you gain in your games but in intel it counts to nothing, maybe you will see a max of 3 fps difference but not much. 

thanks alot:) oh and 1 more thing lol.. if i plug them in in the same  slots where the old ones were they should work fine right? because i heard they need to go in specific slots where the dual slot is active^^