Why do people hate alienware.

Why do people hate alienware. What's so bad about them,.  (There laptops not there desktops)

You pay an awfully high premium for their special logo. That's why.

5 minutes ago, Coldris said:

You pay an awfully high premium for their special logo. That's why.

Not really, their high end laptops are really good bang/buck when compared to equal calibre machines.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Not really, their high end laptops are really good bang/buck when compared to equal calibre machines.

Yeah my first alienware was a mid range alienware which got shit on by all my friends computers. Wasn't a fun time.

3 minutes ago, Coldris said:

Yeah my first alienware was a mid range alienware which got shit on by all my friends computers. Wasn't a fun time.

What gen? All gaming laptops (even ultra high end) have been relatively craptastic up until Pascal.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

What gen? All gaming laptops (even ultra high end) have been relatively craptastic up until Pascal.

Ah geez we're easily talking 4 years here. I just took a look at the newer alienwares and ill be honest I'm quite impressed with the pricing.

Its RAZER 2.0

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Hate was all in the past I think. Now their prices are not as bad as in the past. Maybe because more company are also offering same specs but cheaper price. So I guess that's why prices nowadays are not that bad.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

It used to be that Alienware machines were overpriced for what they offered as far as hardware goes. The hatred that still exists for them isn't really predicated on that anymore since Alienwares have become more normal as far as pricing goes. I would say that the current hatred for Alienware is based upon two main criteria:

1. Old knowledge of how Alienwares used to be configured and priced
  2. The general hatred that exists toward pre-built machines and some gaming laptops

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

The money goes more to marketing and RGB leds to lure in kids.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Juan benitez said:

Why do people hate alienware. What's so bad about them,.  (There laptops not there desktops)

Old alienwares (m15x, m17x, m18x) were really good laptops.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-M17x-R4-Notebook-Review.75292.0.html

boden3_174c37.jpg

There were good chassis, pga cpus, mxm gpus, igpu mode for battery life. you can easily upgrade a m17x r4 or a m18x r2 with a nowadays nvidia pascal msi gtx1060 or an eurocom gtx1070 without problems because it uses mxm gpus

-m17x r4 wit Eurocom Gtx1070 https://mobile.twitter.com/EurocomTech/status/930191435768500224

That's not possibile with nowadays alienwares :( 

17 r4

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-17-R4-7820HK-QHD-GTX-1080-Laptop-Review.214918.0.html

csm_MG_0454_2_62efa65b63.jpg

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17r4-15r3-disassembly-repaste-guide-results.797373/

GiPG6UJ.jpg

mANSHJo.jpg

Nowadays alienwares are totally soldered laptops (soldered cpu+soldered gpu) like Inspirons but with higher prices. That's because High End Users/Gamers like buying MSI GT or Clevo P7xx or P8xx. Clevo uses Desktop cpus and MXM gpus, MSI uses MXM gpus.

gt73vr

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT73VR-7RF-Titan-Pro-Notebook-Review.189710.0.html

csm_gt73_26_da7d2168de.jpg

msi_cards.png

p870tm1

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Eurocom-Sky-X9C-i7-8700K-GTX-1080-SLI-Clevo-P870TM1-G-Laptop-Review.274230.0.html

csm_MG_2046_d4dafa8c8d.jpgeurocom_sky_x9c_inside.jpg

clevo.png

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Dellboy56 said:

my friend that i go to school with got an alienware area 51 i dont know the price probably 2kish AUD waste of time paying for it because he said he woul do youtube and lied and just plays games on it Lul he thinks its the best i told him its Shit what you pay for

Well I am guessing that's not a greet school you're going to

As owner of 2 alienwares let me explain properly and cut through many bs or bias.

Firstly alienware was its own brand, while it was pricey it did offer quite a lot of benefits. Firstly was upgradeability. The CPU and dual mxm slots of the original alienware 17 with many sata slots, 4 ram slots and even the physx card in mobile form (removable).

Dell then bought alienware and designed them like they designed their XPS laptops on the inside. a CPU and GPU that you couldnt upgrade, fake 2nd fan port, mediocre hardware for the price, the list goes on. However alienware was still a quality product at this point despite the poor bios (remember the keplers throttling at 75C on these laptops?). So dell basically took away all the made alienware great on the inside but priced it like apple does. ( i own one of these laptops which i have a custom bios. Its sitting in pieces as i have to buy internal cables and resolder some connectors back on. With these laptops, regardless of size you only get 2 ram slots, and either 1 or 2 drive slots built in (excluding disc drive).

Now we have the new alienware that has pascal GPU. Pricing on these are much better but the hardware quality took a big dive. Not only can you not upgrade CPU or GPU, while the bios is better you still only get 2 ram slots. Ofcourse 3 m.2 slots is a nicer touch but i bought this new as it was the cheapest laptop that did what i want. Like every OEM, choices were terrible. I wanted the highest end alienware 15 with nvidia optimus so i could have a 10 hour battery life power house for portable software development, i had to deal with 6MB of cache and a locked CPU instead of 8MB of cache and an unlocked CPU with the gtx 1070. Other brands can do gsync and IGP switch yet alienware cant that its not on the cutting edge. You cant even have white LEDs  Coding requires a lot of CPU power for both compilations and the virtualisation of testing that is why i usually recommend coders get the best CPU they can get, this is actually where AMD beats intel in the desktop/server space. Dells pro support is good though and works internationally, however they still took many efforts just to fix a board failure and warranty is only 1 year (WD can give WD blacks a 5 year warranty even for a laptop WD black). Despite this, the price is lower than razor for the hardware and razor shares a lot of hardware/quality issues too.

The new alienware has plenty of faults. For one the board isnt great (older gens mention it too). At the time i bought it on offer (would never buy it at standard price). The Alienware AGA however is a huge problem because of an intentional bios feature that disables your onboard nvidia card when you use it hence making it useless if you use a non GPU (doesnt work with a NIC, i tested). For me i bought the alienware for this feature because it meant i could have 2 eGPUs attached but portability was important too. the AGA isnt portable  as you have to restart (thinkpads with the 2501 full dock could hot swap PCIe on the dock (if you had a GPU there) and the expresscard too. I used to run a 2 desktop GPU setup with it giving me a total of 3 nvidia GPUs to work with. 

Despite these issues, the new alienware isnt too bad. Its certainly got a better GPU for coding than the XPS line, good for those who game as well, it has AGA and thunderbolt, price isnt too bad for specs and you can have a 10 hour battery life if you need a portable powerhouse. To me size doesnt matter and the haters tend to overhate because they cant afford it. There is more quality to the current line of alienwares unlike the previous chassis and there are some things i hate about it feature wise however you should not buy an alienware for any brand loyalty. When picking a laptop, pick what best suits your needs. The alienware for me was the cheapest option for a portable powerhouse that having 2 eGPUs was actually helpful. I am able to diagnose a GPU, even modify its bios much easier 

Regardless all of my attempts at contacting dell regarding the stupid AGA bios of disabling the onboard GPU (no hotswap because of this) has gone unheard. As a software developer who will release software that makes use of multi GPU acceleration, this is basically a reason not to consider alienware and to go for other cheaper laptops with thunderbolt.

Threads of alienware hate pops out all the time. dell quality is still better than acer, the main reason is that people see alienware owners as arrogant while they cant afford one so they hate in order to justify their purchase of cheaper laptops. Many people dont even upgrade their laptops but the option to upgrade the CPU, GPU and have more internal slots and IO is still an important consideration. Its just like when you see a hyper/supercar parked infront of the building you go to (despite the area being a no parking zone and guards not caring), however while most people will hate, the best people will aspire to be better than the owners of those cars despite driving a poverty pack car at that time. Now we see many laptops that are better than alienware but their prices and battery life just dont match the alienware when on offer and with coupons especially with the config that i want.

• 3 years later...

Speaking for myself: Alienware is extremely overpriced and they put the theme of the brand into the value of their products. Admittedly that’s not wrong, but when they just use a theme for their brand and not give cutting-edge products it becomes a case of overpriced, underpowered and underwhelming. To follow Alienware logic: It’s akin to having a muscle car except in this instance you have the body/shell without any components to actually make it a functioning muscle car. Not that you couldn’t install a subpar drivetrain and powertrain.. it just wouldn’t be what it was meant to be. The theme of “Alienware” is representative of “alien level” advanced technology… they try to convey this in the aesthetics when coming up with product design, but inside of the their products it’s subpar. It doesn’t only adhere to their computer lineups, but all of their products are extremely overpriced.