I think something's wrong with my computer: High specs, doesn't perform as expected

rednano

Hi! First of all, this is my setup:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€377.81 @ Electronicamente) 

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (€43.00 @ Amazon Espana) 

Motherboard: MSI - Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (€105.15 @ Amazon Espana) 

Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Blue 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (€148.95 @ PC Componentes) 

Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€156.95 @ PC Componentes) 

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Video Card  (€524.25 @ PC Componentes) 

Case: Zalman - Z3 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€51.78 @ Amazon Espana) 

Optical Drive: LG - GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer  (€14.70 @ Amazon Espana) 

Monitor: LG - 29UM68-P 29.0" 2560x1080 60Hz Monitor  (€490.09 @ Amazon Espana) 

Total: €1912.68

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-04 15:28 CET+0100

Add to the list a SATA2 WD Black 1Tb HDD for storing stuff (Nothing installed on it, just documents and virtual machines) and th power supply: Tacens Mars 850

I have windows 10 64 installed 6 months ago, and two weeks ago, I did the change from my "old" GTX 970 to the 1070Ti. 

I play pretty few games, but the ones I play, I try to set them on ultra always.

The resolution I aim for is 2560x1080@60 fps - I play on ultrawide - and before, with the GTX 970, I was unable to keep 60 fps constantly on Battlefield 1. I had to tune a couple options down to get to 60 and in some scenarios, with very high load (i.e., a place where there were many players at the same time and buildings collapsing) the fps would go below 60, certainly not below 50 but still... I was expecting this to be even enough to hold a 144Hz framerate.

With the 1070Ti, I can crank everything to ultra and not notice anything but a very ocasional 1-2 fps drop while the map is zooming out

I use afterburner and riva server to monitor these stats and the thing that bugs me is that, the times I see a FPS drop, neither the GPU, nor the CPU are at full load, maybe 70-80%, one of them at the time, but certainly I don't see either going 100%.

The system was installed from scratch on my 500 GB SSD drive before this past summer IIRC and I work IT, so I know how to stay away from crapware and stuff that clogs the system.

Other games I see performance hit were Elite dangerous: With the 970, on a planet surface, if there were dust particles floating around when I was driving my SRV on a planet's surface, between building,s the FPS would go as low as 40 something: Which seems to have disappeared with the 1070Ti.

PUBG can't hold stable 60 at the moment. Even though it's maxed out, I see over at reddit people playing with lower specs than I do (maybe lower end cards or i5 processors) holding even 100 fps. For me, it's 50 something on the plane and inside buildings, the thing could get ugly.

I always play with vsync on, can't stand screen tearing.

Other game I tried was GTAV. If I max everything out and play the demo mode, I get stable 60 fps all over the board. Pretty stable. Start touching the advanced tab, max it out and I can go as low as 30 fps. I know it's very heavy stuff when I modify those special settings, but I still think I should get more.

I don't know, what do you recommend me? I will start by performing a reinstall from scratch of the whole system, but I don't know if either my setup is underperforming, or I am bitching too much and should tune my settings down a notch.

Other thing I tried was faster RAM, I know linus even made a video debunking the theories that say it speed things up, but I wanted to try, only to discover my setup didn't like 2400 Mhz RAM and had to end up returning them because of incompatibility issues.

Last week, I've been trying to overclock and got my system to hold stable 4.4 OC on the 4770k, which improved things a bit, but not still as much as I expected....

I really don't know what to do, but I am still not happy with the results.

Ideas? Thougts? Burn the thing down and get a new computer?

2 minutes ago, rednano said:

Hi! First of all, this is my setup:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€377.81 @ Electronicamente) 

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (€43.00 @ Amazon Espana) 

Motherboard: MSI - Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (€105.15 @ Amazon Espana) 

Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Blue 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (€148.95 @ PC Componentes) 

Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€156.95 @ PC Componentes) 

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Video Card  (€524.25 @ PC Componentes) 

Case: Zalman - Z3 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€51.78 @ Amazon Espana) 

Optical Drive: LG - GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer  (€14.70 @ Amazon Espana) 

Monitor: LG - 29UM68-P 29.0" 2560x1080 60Hz Monitor  (€490.09 @ Amazon Espana) 

Total: €1912.68

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-04 15:28 CET+0100

Add to the list a SATA2 WD Black 1Tb HDD for storing stuff (Nothing installed on it, just documents and virtual machines) and th power supply: Tacens Mars 850

I have windows 10 64 installed 6 months ago, and two weeks ago, I did the change from my "old" GTX 970 to the 1070Ti. 

I play pretty few games, but the ones I play, I try to set them on ultra always.

The resolution I aim for is 2560x1080@60 fps - I play on ultrawide - and before, with the GTX 970, I was unable to keep 60 fps constantly on Battlefield 1. I had to tune a couple options down to get to 60 and in some scenarios, with very high load (i.e., a place where there were many players at the same time and buildings collapsing) the fps would go below 60, certainly not below 50 but still... I was expecting this to be even enough to hold a 144Hz framerate.

With the 1070Ti, I can crank everything to ultra and not notice anything but a very ocasional 1-2 fps drop while the map is zooming out

I use afterburner and riva server to monitor these stats and the thing that bugs me is that, the times I see a FPS drop, neither the GPU, nor the CPU are at full load, maybe 70-80%, one of them at the time, but certainly I don't see either going 100%.

The system was installed from scratch on my 500 GB SSD drive before this past summer IIRC and I work IT, so I know how to stay away from crapware and stuff that clogs the system.

Other games I see performance hit were Elite dangerous: With the 970, on a planet surface, if there were dust particles floating around when I was driving my SRV on a planet's surface, between building,s the FPS would go as low as 40 something: Which seems to have disappeared with the 1070Ti.

PUBG can't hold stable 60 at the moment. Even though it's maxed out, I see over at reddit people playing with lower specs than I do (maybe lower end cards or i5 processors) holding even 100 fps. For me, it's 50 something on the plane and inside buildings, the thing could get ugly.

I always play with vsync on, can't stand screen tearing.

Other game I tried was GTAV. If I max everything out and play the demo mode, I get stable 60 fps all over the board. Pretty stable. Start touching the advanced tab, max it out and I can go as low as 30 fps. I know it's very heavy stuff when I modify those special settings, but I still think I should get more.

I don't know, what do you recommend me? I will start by performing a reinstall from scratch of the whole system, but I don't know if either my setup is underperforming, or I am bitching too much and should tune my settings down a notch.

Other thing I tried was faster RAM, I know linus even made a video debunking the theories that say it speed things up, but I wanted to try, only to discover my setup didn't like 2400 Mhz RAM and had to end up returning them because of incompatibility issues.

Last week, I've been trying to overclock and got my system to hold stable 4.4 OC on the 4770k, which improved things a bit, but not still as much as I expected....

I really don't know what to do, but I am still not happy with the results.

Ideas? Thougts? Burn the thing down and get a new computer?

Fixed text to be readable.
Use DDU to uninstall graphics drivers, and reinstall.

Sorry, maybe I included a lot of unnecessary information, but I'm quite desperate already about this. It's been weeks trying to figure out what's wrong with my setup.

Thanks.

EDIT: Saw what you meant and edited the OP so everyone is happy. :) (And changed to dark theme myself :P )

Please don't use gray text for us who use the dark theme on the forum (which is a LOT of people :P )

I agree with reinstalling the graphics driver first. Also take a look at this video published by Hardware Unboxed, as it gives a good general idea how your 4770 stacks up today:

Long story short is that your expectations of the 1070Ti are a bit too high. It's not enough for 144Hz 1080p in all of the latest AAA titles, not on Ultra presets.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

You have a 60hz monitor with V-Sync, so you will never go above 60fps. I usually top out at 59 in most readouts.

Primary: i5 4670K @ 4.5 / 2 x GTX 980 / 32 GB DDR3 / 2 x 850 EVO / 12 TB RAID 10 / Windows 10 + Mac OS

Secondary: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 / GTX 770 / 6 GB DDR2 / 1TB HDD / Windows 10 + Kubuntu

Laptop: Chromebook Pixel / i5 3427U / 4 GB DDR3 / 64GB SSD / Kubuntu

Try turning V-Sync off, both in the Nvidia control panel and in all of your games. I know you said that you can't stand screen tearing, but turn it off for troubleshooting purposes.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

You say the CPU is at 70-80% load... Have you checked load of each individual core? It's possible one of the cores is bottlenecking.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

30 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Please don't use gray text for us who use the dark theme on the forum (which is a LOT of people :P )

I agree with reinstalling the graphics driver first. Also take a look at this video published by Hardware Unboxed, as it gives a good general idea how your 4770 stacks up today:

Long story short is that your expectations of the 1070Ti are a bit too high. It's not enough for 144Hz 1080p in all of the latest AAA titles, not on Ultra presets.

Ok, not enough for 144Hz, fair enough but the video shows that the CPU is not that bad, right?

I mean, with all what's happening with intel and AMD, I wouldn't buy a CPU just now, but spending money on a new CPU wouldn't be that worth it, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

27 minutes ago, floatingtrem said:

You have a 60hz monitor with V-Sync, so you will never go above 60fps. I usually top out at 59 in most readouts.

My monitor is FreeSync, so compatible with AMD cards up to 75 fps, I know this and I have FreeSync disabled and aim just for 60 fps... and enable software VSync

28 minutes ago, Husky said:

Try turning V-Sync off, both in the Nvidia control panel and in all of your games. I know you said that you can't stand screen tearing, but turn it off for troubleshooting purposes.

Will do, then, check my FPS without VSYNC and see how high they go? It might be some issue with VSYNC?

18 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You say the CPU is at 70-80% load... Have you checked load of each individual core? It's possible one of the cores is bottlenecking.

Not really, I monitor every core separately and sometimes, there will be a core that spikes a bit more than others, but nothing past 75 something or 80, very ocasionally....

You have 3 options.

1) Get rid of V-sync and deal with the screen tearing

2) Accept the poor performance, V-sync is a mess if it's not a rock solid 60fps.

3) Get a G-sync monitor, solves basically both problems! And with such a system it's imo necessary.

Also freesync is useless for you, it's a bit weird you got that monitor knowing that it won't work as intended...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

You have 3 options.

1) Get rid of V-sync and deal with the screen tearing

2) Accept the poor performance, V-sync is a mess if it's not a rock solid 60fps.

3) Get a G-sync monitor, solves basically both problems! And with such a system it's imo necessary.

Also freesync is useless for you, it's a bit weird you got that monitor knowing that it won't work as intended...

Yes, it was a bit stupid, but I wanted ultrawide and this seemed like the way to go at the time.... price wise, mostly... gsync monitors were too expensive for my budget.

5 minutes ago, rednano said:

Yes, it was a bit stupid, but I wanted ultrawide and this seemed like the way to go at the time.... price wise, mostly... gsync monitors were too expensive for my budget.

If you'd sprung for a Vega 64, you'd have freesync lol

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

If you'd sprung for a Vega 64, you'd have freesync lol

I got the 1070Ti for 486 eur, like 50 less than normal price...

Just now, rednano said:

I got the 1070Ti for 486 eur, like 50 less than normal price...

It was just a suggestion :) that's a decent-ish price for sure.

Just now, NelizMastr said:

It was just a suggestion :) that's a decent-ish price for sure.

Seemed like the way to go, plus the monitor, it was what I could afford at the time: I'm just checking now and g-sync monitors cost double what mine costs..... my god.... so, other solution would be to get used to play without vsync? Do most people play with screen tearing?

3 minutes ago, rednano said:

Seemed like the way to go, plus the monitor, it was what I could afford at the time: I'm just checking now and g-sync monitors cost double what mine costs..... my god.... so, other solution would be to get used to play without vsync? Do most people play with screen tearing?

I've never run anything with vsync aside from some simulator games. Heck, I play PUBG without vsync on a 60Hz panel at roughly 90fps lol.

My gtx 1080 and 1070 ti won't hold max 144fps on 144hz 1080p in both battlefield 1 and PUBG (Ultra settings).  Even if all are overclocked.  Though they can keep the FPS at 70+.  What I am saying is, I got the 1080/70 ti for 1080p to play games and just max them and don't fine tune in-game settings.  Both Graphics Cards can max out all 2017 games and earlier I play with 60+ to 100+ fps.

Regards,

Edited by gabby131
updated 144fps 144hz 1080p

22 minutes ago, gabby131 said:

My gtx 1080 and 1070 ti won't hold max 144fps on 144hz 1080p in both battlefield 1 and PUBG (Ultra settings).  Even if all are overclocked.  Though they can keep the FPS at 70+.  What I am saying is, I got the 1080/70 ti for 1080p to play games and just max them and don't fine tune in-game settings.  Both Graphics Cards can max out all 2017 games and earlier I play with 60+ to 100+ fps.

Regards,

Vsync on or off?

1 minute ago, rednano said:

Vsync on or off?

Vsync Off - both in-game and NVIDIA control panel

5 minutes ago, gabby131 said:

Vsync Off - both in-game and NVIDIA control panel

Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and either:

1: Spend lots of money and get a gsync monitor

2: Turn vsync off and call it quits, get used to some screen tearing.....

Edited by rednano
I'm retarded and don't know how to type

7 minutes ago, rednano said:

Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and either:

1: Spend lots of money and get a gsync monitor

2: Turn vsync off and call it quits, get used to some screen tearing.....

I hear yah, a hefty investment for a screen, but for me, it's worth it.  forgot to mention that my monitor is also g-sync (on my 1070 ti).  I believe a 144hz should be good if your monitor is just 60hz.  the monitor on my gtx 1080 set-up is only a 144hz (no g-sync) and the tearing is absent or un-noticeable.

Or yeah, turn on v-sync to avoid tear.

If the game you're playing has a 'fram limiter' (like bf1) you can set it at you monitor's refresh rate as well and don't worry about v-sync.

2 minutes ago, gabby131 said:

I hear yah, a hefty investment for a screen, but for me, it's worth it.  forgot to mention that my monitor is also g-sync (on my 1070 ti).  I believe a 144hz should be good if your monitor is just 60hz.  the monitor on my gtx 1080 set-up is only a 144hz (no g-sync) and the tearing is absent or un-noticeable.

Or yeah, turn on v-sync to avoid tear.

Which model of monitor is your gsync one? Man, are they expensive... Specially since I like 24+ inch ones...

1 minute ago, rednano said:

Which model of monitor is your gsync one? Man, are they expensive... Specially since I like 24+ inch ones...

AOC G2460PG 24" for my g-sync monitor.  It's a TN panel though, not really sure on yours currently.

Yeah they are expensive....I cannot agree more.