My NAS & my gaming PC in one case - Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL

Hi everyone,

I'm getting bored by my Synology DS213J which is slow and has the drawback of only offering RAID 1 for redundancy so I'm wasting a lot of storage space compared to other solutions with more than 2 disks.

On the other hand, my gaming PC is currently built inside an In Win 707 I got on the cheap because the side panel window was slightly broken. I've made a custom watercooling loop in that one.

So here are my two current setups :

1. Gaming PC :
    • mATX Asus X79 RAMPAGE IV Gene
    • i7 3930K @4.8GHz watercooled
    • 16GB 2166MHz DDR3
    • GTX 1080 (MSI Gaming X) aircooled
    • 256GB SSD
    • 1TB HDD
    • LEPA G1000M PSU (I just love the build quality of that one, it's been working perfectly ever since I bought it)
  2. NAS :
    • Synology DS213J (nice but slow & limited to RAID 1)
    • 1x6TB HDD + 1x4TB HDD + 2x2TB HDD

I'd like to use the Phanteks Mini XL case to build my two systems in one single box, as follows :

1. Gaming PC :
    • Nothing new
  2. Second PC : to be used as a NAS (with xPenology) and possibly also as a virtualized Hackintosh someday. Goals : virtualization, power efficiency (running 24/7), low cost.
    • mini ITX Z170 mobo
    • G4560 (air/watercooled depending on if I can find a cheapo waterblock)
    • 32GB boot SSD if required (I just happen to have one on hand, or maybe I can use it as SSD cache for the RAID 5 volume?)
    • 4 HDDs for the NAS RAID 5 storage (capacity will depend on early 2018 sales in France/Europe)
    • 300W Be Quiet SFX PSU (or anything else reliable I can find cheaper during the forecoming sales)

What do you guys think? I first had set my mind on stacking two Thermaltake Core V21 on top one of another but I must say the following reasons make me want to do this instead :

1. I think it's really cool and I'd really like to do it :P 
  2. It's not excessively more expensive than the dual case config... well... 130€ more expensive actually given I'll have to factor in the price of the SFX PSU
  3. It would save space in my crammed bedroom in which I can barely walk due to all my stuff (3D printer etc.)

So what do you guys think about this?

The case review :

Spoiler

I really like the idea.
Only thing im wondering is how you're gonna "talk" to the raid since you'll need some sort of special solution im guessing

5 minutes ago, FSopDesigns said:

I really like the idea.
Only thing im wondering is how you're gonna "talk" to the raid since you'll need some sort of special solution im guessing

Thanks FSopDesigns! :D 

What do you mean? I'm really new to RAID. My understanding was Z170 supports SATA RAID 5 out of the box. Is that wrong? Should I buy a PCI-E RAID card?

It's a really good idea IMO. It cuts down on the clutter of the two computers and you get some bling factor.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

5 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

Thanks FSopDesigns! :D 

What do you mean? I'm really new to RAID. My understanding was Z170 supports SATA RAID 5 out of the box. Is that wrong? Should I buy a PCI-E RAID card?

Not what i meant but you brought up another interesting point.
Im not sure what Raid solutions z170 supports but if youre usig it then you will be using a software raid. Compared to a hardware raid that is using a seperate raid controller on an pcie-e card will be slightly faster.

What i meant was, a pre-built rad will be setup in a way so you can easily access all the data stored on it. if you are making your own raid you'll have to think about how to acess it since the native windows network connections might not be the fastest or the best idea, but then again i don't kniw much about networks and accessing so dont take that idea to seriously

2 minutes ago, FSopDesigns said:

Not what i meant but you brought up another interesting point.
Im not sure what Raid solutions z170 supports but if youre usig it then you will be using a software raid. Compared to a hardware raid that is using a seperate raid controller on an pcie-e card will be slightly faster.

What i meant was, a pre-built rad will be setup in a way so you can easily access all the data stored on it. if you are making your own raid you'll have to think about how to acess it since the native windows network connections might not be the fastest or the best idea, but then again i don't kniw much about networks and accessing so dont take that idea to seriously

Thanks for bringing both of those ideas up!

I have indeed already heard (Linus say) hardware RAID is better/faster than software RAID. Yet... even though one event does not necessarily reflect a general truth, it put me a bit off hardware RAID when I saw Linus' RAID card fail in one of his videos... What also makes me like the software RAID is its... hardware free ^_^ so... kind of cheaper too, and cleaner in the case.

Plus, I might be able to use an MNPC Stage 2 vertical GPU bracket to mount my GTX 1080 vertically far enough from the windowed side panel to let it breath (unlike on the Fractal Design R6 for instance).

I'll admit it's more a matter of looks than budget, since the vertical GPU bracket alone costs twice the price of a used RAID card off eBay... :D

7 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

Thanks for bringing both of those ideas up!

I have indeed already heard (Linus say) hardware RAID is better/faster than software RAID. Yet... even though one event does not necessarily reflect a general truth, it put me a bit off hardware RAID when I saw Linus' RAID card fail in one of his videos... What also makes me like the software RAID is its... hardware free ^_^ so... kind of cheaper too, and cleaner in the case.

Plus, I might be able to use an MNPC Stage 2 vertical GPU bracket to mount my GTX 1080 vertically far enough from the windowed side panel to let it breath (unlike on the Fractal Design R6 for instance).

I'll admit it's more a matter of looks than budget, since the vertical GPU bracket alone costs twice the price of a used RAID card off eBay... :D

if you dont need every bit of speed then go for the software raid. it also eliminates one point of hardware failure

• 2 weeks later...

Little update to this project.

I've ordered everything for the case. And I've also decided to give Phanteks' power splitter a go, since my ATX PSU is by far powerful enough to power both motherboards.

I'm a bit concerned about the fact the 12V circuit going through the power splitter is limited to 14amps since my 3930K is able to pull over 180 watts (glad I sold my previous 3970X which pulled 220 watts +). But I'm unsure as whether the CPU pulls only on the 12V rail or also on the 5V and 3.3V rails.

By chance, the case and the accessories happen to be on sale right now, which made it cost just below 150€ for the case + the power splitter + the mini ITX mounting kit (instead of 230€ usually)

So, I've just received my Phanteks Mini XL and the mini ITX kit! :)

I've decided to give up on the power splitter and to use a dedicated Corsair SF450 SFX PSU for the mini ITX system, since it will be backed up by my quite small UPS which is not powerful enough to cover the power draw of both systems.

Also, I've just measured and there is enough space for me to fit the SFX PSU behind the 5.25" bays, so as not to have it in the way of a 360mm rad at the bottom of the case (which I am still unsure whether I will buy and install or not).

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent the two past evenings filing a hole to fit a pass-trough C13 to C14 extension plug (bought used and from a Dell server).

I'm using this because I don't want any live wires running inside my computer. Everything must be safe.

Spoiler

nzM4xRz.jpg

hl7w7Bw.jpg

Now I'm going to 3D-print the mounting bracket for the SFX PSU which will use the drop-and-lock interface behind the optical drive bays.

My printer finished the prototype bracket to mount the SFX PSU. It fits very nicely imo! :) Yet I'll probably print it again with some black filament (I only had some green one on hand at the moment).

Spoiler

DD4RbET.jpg

bOQfoy1.jpg

But the fit is tight!

Spoiler

HFTagEm.jpg

So i'll have to cut a hole in the rear side panel so as to fit a dust filter like this on it. This way the PSU will have some air to breathe in :)

915NT7MDCbL._SL1500_.jpg

And if you were wondering, I've oriented the air exhaust of the PSU towards the front of the case which is made of mesh so as to let the hot air exit the case :) 

I'm still waiting for the angled C13 re-wireable plug I've ordered, and which will replace the one at the end of the orange power cord, to fit in the small space on the side of the SFX PSU. :) 

Yesterday night I transfered my micro ATX system from my In Win 707 to my new Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL.

I am very please with the looks of the build, even with the watercooling loop still to be transfered as well! :)

FLRmV8S.jpg

The cable management is very tight though, given how many extension PSU cables I'm using (they are far cheaper off AliExpress than custom sleeved cables suited to a particular PSU brand/model). The 24 pin cables were the hardest to deal with because of their limited flexibility! Yet I managed to make it so as to be able to close the rear panel with no issue :) 

TM1r7ZE.jpg

I just received the angled rewireable plug which made it possible to power the SFX PSU (very tight fit once again but hey, it does fit! ^_^

jsdgBQK.jpg

I've been working on this build yesterday.

I've changed my mind and decided I'd put more radiators than needed in this case.

It'll be as follows :

• 360mm at the top
  • 120mm at the front
  • 240mm at the bottom
  • 120mm at the back

I'll admit this is overkill for a single CPU waterblock xD but I thought it would be cool to go the extra mile :)

I've also done my very very first rigid tubing bend on some PETG I had lying around, between the back radiator and the waterblock.

It looks kinda cool, and kinda wrong at the same time since most of the rest will definitely be flexible tubing due to my concerns about ease of maintenance. Especially given how tight and packed the place where I have mounted the pump is.

The only other tubing I imagine I will be doing in rigid PETG is the link between the bottom radiator and the back radiator because none of those will move over time.

gqDUhOe.jpg

pBz9sTW.jpg

A view of how crammed the area of the pump is :

XbmsC8K.jpg

Oh and I thought I'd show you something I'm probably one of the only ones idiot enough to do :P 

I'm using the rear M.2 port of the top mini ITX motherboard to connect a SATA cable using an adapter from AliExpress (which does not  seem to be of very good quality xD but you never know it might show to be very reliable after all!)

RBLzEfH.jpg

BYNHjla.jpg

I've worked on this project today :) 

And I'm very please with how this is turning out! :D 

FXyw8jd.jpg

The crossflow 240 rad at the bottom of the case is awesome to take advantage of the rear 120mm fan shroud on which I mounted a radiator :) 

So I've filled the loop and there are no apparent leaks.

But there are a LOT of air bubbles since the reservoir's inlet is at the top. I have already ordered this Barrow tube from AliExpress to fix this issue.

The fillport I installed next to the top radiator was a blessing to fill the loop correctly. It would've been impossible without it.

I am also very happy as to how well I've hidden the flexible tubing. Because yes there is some flexible tubing in this case, in some critical places so as to make my life easier, for example it makes it possible to move the reservoir and the top radiator, which makes it possible to take the top motherboard off if I need to :)

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would Send some new pictures :) 

I've just put an 80mm fan on top of the tube to blow air on the VRMs of the bottom motherboard if you were wondering what that is. I'm designing a 3D-printed mount to have it mounted on the waterblock's screws. ;) 

j8KhG0m.jpg

qH0zWKx.jpg

Oh and here's what cable management hell looks like :P 

Spoiler

Are you 18?

Spoiler

Are you willing to see this?! It can be shocking for some people.

Spoiler

jRTRj6D.jpg