24mbps down but only 3mbps down actual.

Fibeus

So my area only supports up to 24mbps download speed. While that's quite bad all by itself...well you know I only have 3mbps of actual download speed. That's probably due to the distance between me and my ISP. What I don't know is If there is anything that I could possibly do to bring that 3 closer to the advertised speed. I'm not talking 24... But 10-15 would be ok-ish until I move out. I'm using the stock free router and I'm always plugged in via ethernet, no wifi. Any suggestions? 3mbps.. I don't know how to put it. Its unusable. Up speeds are.. well 0.4-0.6mbps. Not gonna even talk about that.

Are you sure you aren't getting 3MBps down? If you are paying for 24 megabit download speeds, that means that downloading a file or something should run at 3 megabytes per second.

Main Rig: i7-4790 | GTX 1080 | 32GB RAM

Laptop: 2016 Macbook Pro 15" w/ i7-6820HQ, RX 455, 16GB RAM

Others: Apple iPhone XS, ATH-M50X, Airpods, SE215

17 minutes ago, Fibeus said:

So my area only supports up to 24mbps download speed. While that's quite bad all by itself...well you know I only have 3mbps of actual download speed. That's probably due to the distance between me and my ISP. What I don't know is If there is anything that I could possibly do to bring that 3 closer to the advertised speed. I'm not talking 24... But 10-15 would be ok-ish until I move out. I'm using the stock free router and I'm always plugged in via ethernet, no wifi. Any suggestions? 3mbps.. I don't know how to put it. Its unusable. Up speeds are.. well 0.4-0.6mbps. Not gonna even talk about that.

If your internet provider is using DSL to get the internet to you, then distance is the issue. Phone companies can only push service so far on phone lines. In my area they advertise 6 Mbps DSL but it actually doesnt work in our area because we are too far from the phone company. Lucky for me we got a cable provider and we get 100/10 service from them. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

are you testing this doing the following

1 wifi or ethernet

2. when speed testing only 1 device connected to the modem over Ethernet only. Must disable/disconnect everything

5 minutes ago, intertan said:

are you testing this doing the following

1 wifi or ethernet

2. when speed testing only 1 device connected to the modem over Ethernet only. Must disable/disconnect everything

1. Ethernet

2. It was the only device

2 minutes ago, Fibeus said:

1. Ethernet

2. It was the only device

of time to contact your isp. They should be able to see the modem stats and see if there is an issue. I know vdsl will work on 1 of the 2 conductors of the phone line.

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

If your internet provider is using DSL to get the internet to you, then distance is the issue. Phone companies can only push service so far on phone lines. In my area they advertise 6 Mbps DSL but it actually doesnt work in our area because we are too far from the phone company. Lucky for me we got a cable provider and we get 100/10 service from them. 

also depends on what technology they are using

adsl is slower but can travel farther

vdsl is faster but shorter distance

g.fast is even faster but even shorter, though at this point might want to consider fiber

7 hours ago, intertan said:

also depends on what technology they are using

adsl is slower but can travel farther

vdsl is faster but shorter distance

g.fast is even faster but even shorter, though at this point might want to consider fiber

Only adsl is available here. Same wiring since the 80s or something. I will move out in less than a year or so to an area that supports fiber for 100megabit.. Thanks for the help, I'll also try to contact my ISP today, although its New year's eve. I don't know if they'll be available! Have a happy new year!

I know some guys from Greece who have 3G or 4G connection to a modem or dongle with use of a external antena towards the tower,

dont know much more but maybe you can search for providers who can deliver that.

Greece is far from a modern infrastruture so prob that 3Mbit is best you can get.

For fibre to find in Greece you must be lucky guy.

12 hours ago, Fibeus said:

If you are using a website such as speedtest.com, it does measure in Megabits. Every 8 Megabits = 1 Megabyte

In the UK your not even allowed to advertise the 24 Mbits adsl2+ service as 24 mbits, you have to advertise it as what 70% of your customers actually get. Which is usually 17 Mbits. Anyway, what does your provider say your property is actually capable of getting? They should be able to tell you. If you're a few miles from your telephone exchange then 3 Mbits is probably about right.

If your speed is below your expected speed (forget about this advertised 24 Mbits, it's criminal they can even say that tbh) then you should be able to log a slow throughput fault. There are some-things which could be causing a slower speed, a period of bad weather for example can slow a DSL line down (while it adjust settings such as the signal to noise ratio to compensate for instability), which your service provider can adjust to increase your speed. They may even have put a hard cap on the speed if they throught any higher was causing to many disconnections. Furthermore, how does your land line actually sound, like when you make a call? Is there noise or a crackle? There could be an issue with the physical line (they should be able to run a remote line test to detect that, we do that for our customers for free when ever they ask), which could result in instability and thus your speeds reduce to provide a more stable service.

16 minutes ago, Gdog said:

In the UK your not even allowed to advertise the 24 Mbits adsl2+ service as 24 mbits, you have to advertise it as what 70% of your customers actually get. Which is usually 17 Mbits. Anyway, what does your provider say your property is actually capable of getting? You're not getting 24 Mbits that's for sure and if you're a few miles from your telephone exchange then 3 Mbits is probably about right.

Thats very fair!  years ago when i had vdsl they also advertised speeds what only could be real if you were the isp neighbour lol

i got max 13Mbit and one day the isp contacted me telling they coulnt bring me much more speed so i was paying too much and we agree to take a new abo for lower speed, so less to pay for practical no difference in speed.

3 hours ago, Gdog said:

In the UK your not even allowed to advertise the 24 Mbits adsl2+ service as 24 mbits, you have to advertise it as what 70% of your customers actually get. Which is usually 17 Mbits. Anyway, what does your provider say your property is actually capable of getting? They should be able to tell you. If you're a few miles from your telephone exchange then 3 Mbits is probably about right.

That is fair. There are many complaints here about that, as it is not clear to anyone. You don't know what to expect apart from that being from experiencing the speeds yourself. Despite what was said above, fiber is available in Greece, but while in Europe it's present everywhere, here it is in it infancy, for factors probably widely known by know. :D

Anyhow, my 3mbit connection sucks. That's probably not going to change, although, I will give my ISP a call because I've seen it run stably for days on 7-8mbits, so maybe there is something to be checked on their end. VDSL is becoming the new standard slowly here, so I expect it to be available to me in the next 2 years, much more likely than a fiber connection. But I suspect I will have moved out by then seeking a home with 100-200mbit support. I think it should be a priority when you don't live in USA or Germany and the such, to modernize yourself in every technological aspect, even though everyone else doesn't even know what is available.

Cheers from Greece <3

Ah so it seems possible to 8Mbit, thats at least better than 3

Have you tryed to disconnect the modem and reconnect after a while?

it did helped me sometimes to get a higher rate.

Whats maybe possible is that the isp going to switch your line on a different pair wires,

what ive heard it could help when use wire pairs on the innerside of the cable = shorter distance.

All depending on the isp if they want to take care.

42 minutes ago, Fibeus said:

think it should be a priority when you don't live in USA or Germany

There are areas in the US that dont have any internet connections besides 4G LTE, or only have access to 3 Mbps DSL that barely works. The only time you get get a good internet connection is if you live in the city or suburbs. Some people are also in situation where the internet is only a matter of a few hundred feet from their house, but the cable company wants $25k to $50k to install service. So the grass is not always greener in the US. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.