Cherry MX Blue for gaming?

MekaStrix

Hi,

I have used Cherry MX Browns for ages but I was having a look at a keyboard that comes in both MX Blue RGB and MX Brown RGB keys I was tempted to go with MX Blues but came across something stating that MX Blues are really hard to double tap in game is this true it was something to do with the reset point being further? Also i've not seen any other manufacturers use MX blue RGB switches is it just a supply shortage or does the blues have some sort of issue so manufacturers avoid using it?

I used MX Blue for several years and I can't say that I experienced the issues you're describing. Blue switches are somewhat niche since you're getting a rather loud feed back but the travel length of the key is the same as on MX Red. There is however a bump before actuation, which naturally adds more resistance.  

It's not something I'd describe as negative.

EDIT: SteelSeries has a good comparison here.

1 minute ago, xaeleep said:

I used MX Blue for several years and I can't say that I experienced the issues you're describing. Blue switches are somewhat niche since you're getting a rather loud feed back but the travel length of the key is the same as on MX Red. There is however a bump before actuation, which naturally adds more resistance.  

It's not something I'd describe as negative.

So they will probably feel a lot like browns just louder and heavier?

3 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

Exactly. For a (very) specific comparison, you can visit Cherry's product page.

8 hours ago, MekaStrix said:

They are heavier than Brown around 50Grams of force to actuate 60G peak.

Louder because it has Clicky noise.

The easiest keys to double tap is Linear keys such as red or black while its not good for typin because there's no feedback i have use them and had no issues for gaming.

I dont really need a feedback as the keys is light enough to press and registered while gaming.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

15 hours ago, Hiya! said:

They are heavier than Brown around 50Grams of force to actuate 60G peak.

Louder because it has Clicky noise.

The easiest keys to double tap is Linear keys such as red or black while its not good for typin because there's no feedback i have use them and had no issues for gaming.

I dont really need a feedback as the keys is light enough to press and registered while gaming.

I'm pretty much deciding between the Republic of Gamers Claymore with MX Browns or the Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 with Greentech/razer Green switches

4 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

I'm pretty much deciding between the Republic of Gamers Claymore with MX Browns or the Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 with Greentech/razer Green switches

Heard a lot of bad things and a few good things about razer new greetech switches. so i am not really sure about the quality.

But it share the same characteristic as MX BLUE.

I like blue switch for basically anything.

Its a matter of personal preferences so just go to the store and try them.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 11:50 PM, Hiya! said:

Heard a lot of bad things and a few good things about razer new greetech switches. so i am not really sure about the quality.

But it share the same characteristic as MX BLUE.

I like blue switch for basically anything.

Its a matter of personal preferences so just go to the store and try them.

the new 2017 / 2018 Razer blackwidow Chroma V2 uses the new Greetech razer green switches .

I have both the older 2014 Blackwidow Chroma and the new V2 and I can honestly say the new switches are MUCH better than the older razer greens -

I Love the new Greetech Razer Greens and highly recommend them 

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

FWIW, blue intefers with your eye sight and sarcadium rythm, never go with blue anything unless you want to be wide awake.

On 12/30/2017 at 2:53 PM, MekaStrix said:

No. Not to me they don't. Blues, and most  clicky switches for that matter, have a 2 piece stem. It has the main stem part and a click jacket. They can move independently. The stroke feels less clean than a tactile switch like a brown. The 2 part design also causes the activation and release points to be different which I absolutely can't stand. 

9 hours ago, geo3 said:

No. Not to me they don't. Blues, and most  clicky switches for that matter, have a 2 piece stem. It has the main stem part and a click jacket. They can move independently. The stroke feels less clean than a tactile switch like a brown. The 2 part design also causes the activation and release points to be different which I absolutely can't stand. 

I bought an Asus Claymore with MX Browns in the end but I was having some issue with it disconnecting but it seems to be fine since I updated my bios so all good now :D I have had reds and Browns in the past and honestly Browns just feel like slightly heavier reds to me unless you really look for that bump I can't notice it. Reds feel a bit too light but it's been a while since I had reds they were in my first mechanical keyboard Corsair K95 :) 

45 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

I bought an Asus Claymore with MX Browns in the end but I was having some issue with it disconnecting but it seems to be fine since I updated my bios so all good now :D I have had reds and Browns in the past and honestly Browns just feel like slightly heavier reds to me unless you really look for that bump I can't notice it. Reds feel a bit too light but it's been a while since I had reds they were in my first mechanical keyboard Corsair K95 :) 

Yeah, MX Browns are like the least tactile tactile switch there is. You want MX Clears or Tactile Greys if your into Cherry only, or Zealios, MOD Switch or Tactile Kailhs.

I have been gaming on my MX Blue keyboard for a few weeks and I haven't had any real problems. I also found a Brown version of the same keyboard for basically nothing, so I'm going to A/B compare them and decide which one I like best and sell the other, but in general, I'd say it doesn't take much to adapt to either, and I do like the feel of the click (but the noise is a bit much at times, particularly if I'm typing fast.

On 1/22/2018 at 9:16 PM, donalgodon said:

I have been gaming on my MX Blue keyboard for a few weeks and I haven't had any real problems. I also found a Brown version of the same keyboard for basically nothing, so I'm going to A/B compare them and decide which one I like best and sell the other, but in general, I'd say it doesn't take much to adapt to either, and I do like the feel of the click (but the noise is a bit much at times, particularly if I'm typing fast.

Funny enough I bought 2 mx brown boards and they both felt different one from corsair and one from Asus and I must say I prefer the Asus one the Caps can make a huge difference as well in my opinion also the stabilizer corsair uses are awful the spar bar rattles whereas on my Asus Claymore keyboard it's more of a solid noise.

2 hours ago, MekaStrix said:

Funny enough I bought 2 mx brown boards and they both felt different one from corsair and one from Asus and I must say I prefer the Asus one the Caps can make a huge difference as well in my opinion also the stabilizer corsair uses are awful the spar bar rattles whereas on my Asus Claymore keyboard it's more of a solid noise.

100% agree. I don't know why companies still use stock Cherry stabilizers in their keyboards, they're much more prone to feeling flimsy and rattling. At the very least they should come with clipped Cherry stabilizers.

ASUS uses Costar stabilizers on their Claymore keyboard which feel great, although annoying to remove but the improved feel/noise is worth it. It's a shame I could never get a Claymore with MX Blues in the USA.

As for the topic, I use MX Blues for gaming all the time and I prefer them to Reds and Browns. Browns would be my second choice though, not really a fan of linear switches.

my personal favorite is black. 

:/

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

My personal favorite switch is the new  Razer Green ( 2017-2018 ) - ( Greetech ) - the earlier Khail greens used on the first versions of the Blackwidow Chroma were inconsistent and prone to failure - 

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU