[EDITED] Under 1000EUR Workstation Build

Long Story Short

Hello there!

I need a machine that can handle some intense coding sessions with two monitors and various open programs at all times. There will be minimal to no gaming on this machine, at least until I add a graphics card at a later date. I would also like to be able to run two VMs, so two people can code at the same time on separate monitors from the same machine.

I live in Cyprus and I shop across the EU in euros. My budget is 1000 euros and it's for the tower only. The build must support at least two monitors.

Current parts

I took the liberty of selecting a few parts for starters. You can improve on this list or completely ignore it and suggest something else. All links are from a Greek site that delivers to Cyprus.

CPU: Intel i5 8600K @ 279e

MB: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P @ 164,99e

PSU: Corsair SF450 @ 94,90e

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHZ @ 205e

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB @ 93,90e

CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R @ 53,50e

TOTAL: 891,29e plus around 27e shipping.

Concerns

• Will this power supply be enough if I add a 1060/70/80 after a few months?
  • Will said card fit in this case?
  • Should I go with a Ryzen build instead? What about graphics in that case?

Original, much more detailed post

Spoiler

Prologue

Hello there!

I am a Web Developer with a day job at an office but the dream of slowly setting up my own business from home. To this end, I regularly spend my evenings coding on my MacBook researching and writing code. I have a wife that also works on the same field and also spends her evenings coding from time to time.

Lately, while running a few services and a local development server, with a few other programs open on my poor machine, it starts lagging behind. The time has come to put our laptops to the side, and invest in a proper workstation that can fit our needs, and also be decent for the occasional recreational use.

I believe it's worth to mention I have built numerous systems in the past, both for myself as well as friends and family, but I have been disconnected from the scene for the last 2-3 years.

The idea

I need a system that can handle running multiple things at the same time without any serious lag or hiccups. As a programmer I feel a huge need for multiple screens so I can simultaneously look at code, result, designs, database and FTP clients, server status, etc. I have no desire for 4K however, as we consume our content on a 4K HDR 55" TV, and the gaming on this machine will be minimal to non-existent.

To maximize the utilization of the system, I'm really liking the Linus-inspired idea of running VMs, splitting the screens and peripherals so both I and the wife can work on separate things at the same time. To that end, I have come to the conclusion that the best course of action is to invest on a strong CPU with on-board graphics and a decent amount of RAM, and leave out a dedicated graphics card and extensive storage for a later purchase.

The budget I set in the next section covers the main parts only. Monitors and peripherals will be decided upon when the build is finalized and we resolve the finances. However, any and all suggestions for these welcome. For example, I'm pretty obsessed with multiple 1080p monitors, but I'm also intrigued considering ultra-wide single monitors. I am not sure which has the edge for my use case.

Recommendations Thread Q&A:

1. Budget & Location

The budget for the tower is maxed at 1000 euros, with a "the-lower-the-better" attitude because whatever leftovers will be used for better monitors and peripherals. My current location is Cyprus but I can shop from all over Europe theoretically.

2. Aim

First and foremost, this build is a workstation. It will be used for coding, running local servers, working with Photoshop and Illustrator, occasionally all at the same time, with some Spotify and browsing for good measure. The second aspect is virtualization - i.e. running two virtual machines with separate monitors and peripherals, so two people can work on code simultaneously. Last but not least, the occasional game - mainly Dota 2, with a random session of this game or the other whenever there is time. My only concern at this time is being able to play Dota at halfway decent settings at a solid 60fps. Later on I plan on adding a dedicated graphics card so I can expand to the occasional CoD or Sims for the wife.

3. Monitors

The goal is ideally 3 monitors, all 1080p. However I will start with two at best, and later on when I add a proper graphics card I will consider adding a third. I am open to suggestions though, suitable to my aim.

4. Peripherals

Peripherals, monitors, and OS will not be included in this budget, however any solid value-for-money suggestions that fit the aim are more than welcome. Also consider the virtualization aspect of the build, there might be a need for two keyboards - two mice. One premium (mechanical keyboard + multi-button mouse) combo and one "basic".

5. Why are you upgrading?

Currently working out of a MacBookPro that can no longer cover my needs and/or is no longer comfortable.

Current parts

I took the liberty of selecting a few parts for starters. You can improve on this list or completely ignore it and suggest something else. All links are from a Greek site that delivers to Cyprus.

CPU: Intel i5 8600K @ 279e

MB: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P @ 164,99e

PSU: Corsair SF450 @ 94,90e

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHZ @ 205e

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB @ 93,90e

CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R @ 53,50e

TOTAL: 891,29e plus around 27e shipping.

Concerns

• Will this power supply be enough if I add a 1060/70/80 after a few months?
  • Will said card fit in this case?
  • Should I go with a Ryzen build instead? What about graphics in that case?

A huge thank you to whoever took the time to read through this monstrosity.

Edited by GregKos
Huge slim down

Whoa

At first I wanted to recommend you Ryzen 1700. It costs 289€, as well as the i5, but it has more cores and more threads than the i5 so it would be much better for productivity, but then I realised that Ryzen chips don't have any integrated GPU, so it would work only if you bought some other GPU, but then there's the budget. Even with some budget GPU like 1050Ti, you would still end up somewhere near 1020€.

The system you have chosen is pretty good, but I would throw in some HDD for data storage. 250GB SSD isn't enough in my opinion.

About the PSU, 450W is enough for 1050Ti and it might be good for 1060 too. However for better GPU 600W PSU would be great.

12 hours ago, MaktimS said:

Whoa

At first I wanted to recommend you Ryzen 1700. It costs 289€, as well as the i5, but it has more cores and more threads than the i5 so it would be much better for productivity, but then I realised that Ryzen chips don't have any integrated GPU, so it would work only if you bought some other GPU, but then there's the budget. Even with some budget GPU like 1050Ti, you would still end up somewhere near 1020€.

That's what I thought really. From what I understand, a 1700 would be far better for multiple open programs and virtualization, but the lack of onboard graphics is a deal-breaker.

The system you have chosen is pretty good, but I would throw in some HDD for data storage. 250GB SSD isn't enough in my opinion.

It really isn't, yes. Depending on what we end up with, I might upgrade to a 500GB one. Some time after the initial purchase I'll be sure to add a 2-3TB HDD in the mix.

About the PSU, 450W is enough for 1050Ti and it might be good for 1060 too. However for better GPU 600W PSU would be great.

I would love some more input for this. I want to save as much as possible on things like the PSU and the case, but it would be a huge bummer to have to upgrade when I finally get around to buying a good card.

It's good to have some wattage headroom when choosing PSU because a PSU is the most efficient when its load is just under 50 %.

This site should help you with selecting the right one for you. It tells you what your approx power consumption will be and how powerful PSU you should buy

On 29/12/2017 at 1:03 PM, MaktimS said:

It's good to have some wattage headroom when choosing PSU because a PSU is the most efficient when its load is just under 50 %.

This site should help you with selecting the right one for you. It tells you what your approx power consumption will be and how powerful PSU you should buy

I looked into that site, and it says a 430W PSU is enough if I add a 1080(!)

If the plan is to concurrently run multiple VM, you might consider an i7-8700. 

The build list does not include a cpu cooler. One is required with the i5-8600K as it does not include a stock cooler.

More memory would help running multiple VM.

The case has a single fan. A second one would really help with airflow.

While the system as listed but with a GTX 1080 can be powered by a 450W psu, there is little room for any additional components or overclocking. Nor is there much room left to account for capacitor aging.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, brob said:

If the plan is to concurrently run multiple VM, you might consider an i7-8700. 

The build list does not include a cpu cooler. One is required with the i5-8600K as it does not include a stock cooler.

More memory would help running multiple VM.

The case has a single fan. A second one would really help with airflow.

While the system as listed but with a GTX 1080 can be powered by a 450W psu, there is little room for any additional components or overclocking. Nor is there much room left to account for capacitor aging.

The VMs would at most be two at any given time.

One thing I've always struggled with is figuring out what coolers are needed for the CPU and/or the case, as well as properly researching a case that fits my needs and other parts. Any insight?

Also, keeping in mind I know absolutely nothing about Ryzen and compatibility, consider the attached image:

Screenshot 2017-12-31 02.12.21.png

Use the pcpartpicker.com site for parts, just add your own prices. The site can estimate psu requirements and do basic compatibility checking.

Check that there are no issues using your VM software on Ryzen 5 cpu.

For coding, Intel offers better cpu as the activity is lightly threaded.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.