Automated Backup Software for Windows 10?

Ariolander
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,
1 hour ago, Ariolander said:

Does the file backups work outside of the Windows 10 ecosystem?

I am not interested in keeping a history of my files but a mirror of all my local files as a scheduled task.

Like could if my main system took a dump and I plugged my USB HDD into my laptop would my laptop be able to browse all the files in the backup?

I was under the impression that File History was only really useful for the host OS and wasn't a real backup solution.

File History keeps the last version of files following the same drive/folder structure, and the bits that differ between versions of each file and folder, so that you can go back in time for each file and folder using Windows 10 File History tool.

The files are NTFS compressed. So, if you have an OS that can access that, than you can access the last version of each files backup following the same folder structure as you have them on your PC originally. The backup drive can be external or on a network, Windows 10 File History supports both.

I recently bought a 5 tb USB external HDD and I want to use it for backups. 

The thing is I know I won't remember to back up all my important data regularly if I have to do it manually.

Does anyone know of good backup software that can make local, automated, differential backups, for select folders, to an external drive, that works with Windows?

I am not interested in cloud solutions, I already use cloud services for my most important files. This is mostly for everything else, game saves, rich media, etc.

You can use in integrated File History feature. EaseUS Todo is also nice for the price.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I am not interested in keeping a history of my files but a mirror of all my local files as a scheduled task.

Like could if my main system took a dump and I plugged my USB HDD into my laptop would my laptop be able to browse all the files in the backup?

I was under the impression that File History was only really useful for the host OS and wasn't a real backup solution.

5 minutes ago, Ariolander said:

Does the file backups work outside of the Windows 10 ecosystem? I am not interested in keeping a history of my files but a mirror of all my local files as a scheduled task.

Like could if my main system took a dump and I plugged my USB HDD into my laptop would my laptop be able to browse all the files in the backup? I was under the impression that File History was only really useful for the host OS and wasn't a real backup solution.

Not sure how it stores the backed up data, all I know is that you can pick what to back up and where.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Ariolander said:

File History keeps the last version of files following the same drive/folder structure, and the bits that differ between versions of each file and folder, so that you can go back in time for each file and folder using Windows 10 File History tool.

The files are NTFS compressed. So, if you have an OS that can access that, than you can access the last version of each files backup following the same folder structure as you have them on your PC originally. The backup drive can be external or on a network, Windows 10 File History supports both.