Does readyboost work?

Reem1k

I have a g4560 and GTX 1050, but 4gb ram so gta 5 stutters while loading (high - very high settings 1920x1080) so I'm looking for a temporary solution/lag fix until I buy another 4 or 8gb stick or when ddr4 goes cheap again.

18 minutes ago, HZapperz said:

Are you sure its not your graphics card holding you back?

Quite. I tried on very high and it was exactly the same thing.

I had an old Lenovo laptop with a small 16gb M.2 for caching, I ditched the included software which was buggy as hell and set up readyboost to use it. So I can say yes readyboost does work but it really depends on the the cache hardware your using, a standard USB stick wont give you much of a boost so you really have to go for either a highspeed USB3 stick, or other similar fast memory card to really get the benefit.

Plus the only other caveat is you dont get to choose which files get cached,if you play GTA5 enough and it can see the same file being accessed a lot you may get some good results, otherwise it'll just be used to cache OS objects. 

Readyboost won't make enough of a difference. You'll need a USB drive with SSD performance in both IOPS and throughput, which are more expensive than another 4GB DDR4 DIMM.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, Swaffy said:

I had an old Lenovo laptop with a small 16gb M.2 for caching, I ditched the included software which was buggy as hell and set up readyboost to use it. So I can say yes readyboost does work but it really depends on the the cache hardware your using, a standard USB stick wont give you much of a boost so you really have to go for either a highspeed USB3 stick, or other similar fast memory card to really get the benefit.

Plus the only other caveat is you dont get to choose which files get cached,if you play GTA5 enough and it can see the same file being accessed a lot you may get some good results, otherwise it'll just be used to cache OS objects. 

Do external 7200rpm hdds work well? I've got 2tb of those laying around and they are us 3.0 too.

9 hours ago, Reem1k said:

Do external 7200rpm hdds work well? I've got 2tb of those laying around and they are us 3.0 too.

Unless you can setup some form of super raid array I would doubt it, same transfer speed as your internal drive (unless your rocking a 5400rpm)