Possible dead parts after psu blew.

aqw409

So my PSU blew a few months ago and I haven't gotten around the fixing it because I just got a new pc as well as having no time. The PSU blew overnight while the PC was on the lockscreen. In the morning I tried turning it back on thinking it just crashed and the psu cracked and popped and smelled like burning electronics, Oh course I ripped it out in like 20 seconds but no smoke and it didn't look off (Couldn't see any blown pieces through the grills). I was just wondering if I got a new PSU I expect the MB and CPU to be dead I'm just hoping the GPU is alive. And since the MB is dead the PSU won't do anything (Haven't gotten it yet but that basically 100% guaranteed) But if the GPU is dead and I connect it to my current PC that works fine could that hurt my current PC by damaging hardware? I would disconnect everything to just get to the bios so the drives won't be damaged, 

TLDR Could a blown PSU maybe blow a GPU that could then damage a perfectly fine PC? 

Thanks guys! 

Its pretty much luck. I've seen PSUs catch fire in a shower of sparks and not damage a single component, and I've seen them silently kill every part in the machine.

Usually if anything survives, its the CPU actually...

What was your old PSU, and what are you replacing it with?

the PSU is over 4 years old and its too late for the warranty. I'm planning on using a corsair 650W but I'm really just looking to see if the GPU could have survived and if I could test it on my working main PC before I get the PSU in the mail which if the MB is dead won't even post. 

9 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Its pretty much luck. I've seen PSUs catch fire in a shower of sparks and not damage a single component, and I've seen them silently kill every part in the machine.

Second that from experience.

One of my first PCs was a pre-built. They used a cheap PSU which started throwing smoke and sparks during a session of gaming. Not a single component was broken.

If you're looking for PSUs, I'd check this ranking of 'em.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

*Generally* PSU's have protection to prevent their letting the smoke out from damaging any external components.

You *should* be good to go.  If you plan to keep the machine happy, invest in a Tier 1, 2, or 3 supply from this thread:

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

So Even though my HDD got stuck heads (Don't care already got the data off of them and they are even older) The other hardware might be perfectly fine. So wait for a PSU then see if it posts and check everything in the bios if it does. And if it doesn't check the GPU on my currently PC because it shouldn't damage it even if its dead. Correct? 

Also since as zombienerd said. The PC did have a Enermax Platimax in it so the fail safes in that could have saved the pc. I'll grab a PSU in a week or so and see if it posts. I'll update this thread if it does/doesn't. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, aqw409 said:

Also since as zombienerd said. The PC did have a Enermax Platimax in it so the fail safes in that could have saved the pc. I'll grab a PSU in a week or so and see if it posts. I'll update this thread if it does/doesn't. Thanks!

Good luck, hope everything survived!

Also, welcome to the forums! I've got a guide on how they work in my signature below, its worth taking a look at :)

Oh quick question. If the MB is dead and I just want to test the GPU. If its damaged or dead could it damage new hardware its testing with? (The GPU that is)

3 minutes ago, aqw409 said:

Oh quick question. If the MB is dead and I just want to test the GPU. If its damaged or dead could it damage new hardware its testing with? (The GPU that is)

Its very rare to kill a motherboard with a dead GPU. My testbench motherboard has literally seen hundreds of dead cards, and if they don't work, they don't work. I can't say that I've actually had a GPU kill a board.

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Its very rare to kill a motherboard with a dead GPU. My testbench motherboard has literally seen hundreds of dead cards, and if they don't work, they don't work. I can't say that I've actually had a GPU kill a board.

Okay Thanks! And even if it does everything on the new hardware PC is in warranty so some clever wording and ya. Thanks man. Merry Christmas and have a happy new years as well! 

• 1 month later...

Just over a month later. Every else is paid for so I ordered a PSU. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B010HWDPKW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I got it last night and finished installing it 30 minutes ago. I was so damn nervous plugging it into the wall. Triple check EVERYTHING. I turned on the PSU and withdrew my hand faster then light. Nothing. Good I didn't have lights on this pc anyways. Hits power button, hears water flow through CPU cooler, hype raises, system powers down. NOOOOO System turns back on boot beep (I put in a speaker for some reason a while ago) Looks at screen. Stuck on the No boot drive found hit button. (I didn't install any drives) Restarts PC so I can get into the bios to make sure everything is working as intended. Hit all the buttons it says I can, Nothing. Think Think Think. I never used this keyboard on that PC so thats probably whats stopping it from working. Goes and grabs an old keyboard I keep forgetting to put up for sale. Works fine! Bios reads everything. All is good! All I need now is an SSD and HDD. Still having adrenaline pumping through my body. God was that nerve racking. But in the end, the fail safes on the last PSU worked as intended. Thanks for the help guys I probably wouldn't have tried a new PSU! Thanks!