Computer turns on for 1 second, then shuts down

Desultore
Go to solution Solved by Desultore,

Solved my problem - changed my PSU cable and now everything works - apparently the cable died.

Hello!

So my computer apparently just died, whilst I was playing FIFA 18. The computer just froze completely, then I turn it off holding the power button.

Now when I tried to turn the computer on, the motherboard made one beep and turned off again.

I checked my PC out, reseated everything and then tried again. Now it behaves differently - it starts, then switches off without a motherboard sound. I also noticed that the CPU fan isn't turning on startup, when other fans are.

Mind you, that all this turning on is happening for about a second - then it does the same thing on repeat (like it's restarting each time)

Could the problem be my PSU? It's a Corsair CX500M. None of my parts were overclocked.

Specifications:

Intel Core i5 4690K w/ Stock Intel cooler

MSI Z97 PC Mate

MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G

Kingston HyperX Blu 8 GB (Single stick)

120 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Corsair CX500M

Thank you!

Generally, you should consult the boot failure flowchart on google images. If that is unhelpful, or suggests a hardware replacement, make sure that your pc is completely free from dust by using air or packing tape to remove it. 

I have had this issue on an old PC but I got it for free so I didnt care enough to fix it. That PC was covered in dust, however, so that is what I assume was wrong. De-dusting is generally successful with my other PCs when they fail too. If not dust, then it will probably be the PSU given that the fan doesnt work.

Are your fans plugged into the mobo or the psu directly? There's a chance that the motherboard is dead. If you have a spare one, I'd try it out. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

29 minutes ago, PJemus said:

I have had this issue on an old PC but I got it for free so I didnt care enough to fix it. That PC was covered in dust, however, so that is what I assume was wrong. De-dusting is generally successful with my other PCs when they fail too. If not dust, then it will probably be the PSU given that the fan doesnt work.

I am keeping my computer dust clean - cleaning about every two months and now I just cleaned as well. I'm thinking that the PSU is broken as well.

21 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

Are your fans plugged into the mobo or the psu directly? There's a chance that the motherboard is dead. If you have a spare one, I'd try it out. 

All are on the motherboard - only the CPU fan isn't spinning and I'm thinking it's because it just doesn't have time to spin up just like GPU fans because the power cuts out before they're able to start spinning. I'll try replacing the PSU when I'll be able to get a hold of one.

Solved my problem - changed my PSU cable and now everything works - apparently the cable died.