Video Streaming PC Build??

Chris Geo

Hi Everyone,

I need to upgrade my video streaming workstation and I wanted to ask your opinions. I am currently working with 32 gigs of DDR3 RAM and an I7-4790K processor. I have a GTX 980TI but it's not currently in use. I keep getting blue screens. I sent it in for warranty repair and they sent me a new one. More blue screens. Which leads me to believe it's either a motherboard or a cooling problem. Thoughts?

Money isn't an issue but I don't have thousands to spend. I am using Open Broadcaster Software. CPU on the computer runs great but OBS is always showing as 70-90% CPU ( even though Windows shows it only going to 50% Max. Maybe there is a setting in OBS to use more cores?) . I find that if I'm running a youtube video and 2 web cams I get more glitching and lag than I'd like but it's workable and sparatic. Ideally I would like to use a video loop for the background with the webcams added in to give it a better feel. So I would be running up to two videos + Skype or Zoom Video + 2 Webcams. Each webcam is on its own USB bus so that really isn't an issue. It would be nice to program some lower thirds and other types of videos too. Is this CPU or GPU driven?

I'm wondering if I should buy a graphics card like a 1070TI or try to make the 980TI work. Also, are there any solutions for cooling the GPU?

I am not recording to disk as we broadcast. Youtube has been pretty consistent (fingers crossed). 

I can spend a couple of thousand bucks if needed but obviously if I can use some of the components I already have it would be great! 

What do you think is the best set up for this? Would DDR4 RAM make a difference or is that simply for gaming performance?

Thank you in advance :)

that workload should not be bogging down a 4790k and a 980ti. which makes me think there's some other kind of issue.

As for the BSODs just get a replacement motherboard for now and see if it fixes it, the 4790K is still a hell of a processor

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒