Hard Drive Dying

MastuhWaffles

So my hard drive has started it's road to death. Conveniently I had planned to get a new one since I'm out of space on my 2TB HDD. Anyways, what is the best way of copying the data to a new hard drive? Can I literally just right click and copy and paste onto the new drive once it's partitioned? Or do I need some special software? My SSD is running windows and all my pictures and stuff, so the HDD is just my steam and stuff mostly.

Hello,

I know the feeling when a HDD is about to die :/

About your question.

For _ME_ the easiest way is to determine what files i actually do want to keep.

From your question, we as readers do not get to know if you have more then one? Do you run your operating system on the same drive as you store all your other data/files?
IF so, then yes, the "easiest" way is to copy the data over to the new drive once your new OS is installed and everything is up and running. I would recommend have a separate hdd for your OS tough.

From own experience, a old drive usually tend to contain alot of junk files thats not needed when you install a new system, so if you do know what you want to keep (passwords, pictures, gamesaves, application configurations etc) i would just copy over them and then re-install everything onto the new disk.

On 12/26/2017 at 8:27 PM, skoalcherry said:

Hello,

I know the feeling when a HDD is about to die :/

About your question.

For _ME_ the easiest way is to determine what files i actually do want to keep.

From your question, we as readers do not get to know if you have more then one? Do you run your operating system on the same drive as you store all your other data/files?
IF so, then yes, the "easiest" way is to copy the data over to the new drive once your new OS is installed and everything is up and running. I would recommend have a separate hdd for your OS tough.

From own experience, a old drive usually tend to contain alot of junk files thats not needed when you install a new system, so if you do know what you want to keep (passwords, pictures, gamesaves, application configurations etc) i would just copy over them and then re-install everything onto the new disk.

So, my SSD has all my windows operating stuff on it, and my HDD which needs to be replaced is simply a dump folder for all my steam games. I'd like to just copy it over because it would probably take 30 years to install 2TB worth of games.

Well, if its just games, i guess your fine as long as the hdd survies the copy process :o

Even if you do have 2TB worth of games, it wont take 30 years. 

What speed is your connection?

If you're just backing up files such as images, movies and music you can simply drag and drop. If you were to do this with a program however, you would be having a difficult time since now registry entries are copied.

If you want to copy over programs as well, you could clone the old drive with software such as True Image, but since that doesn't always go smoothly I'd recommend just simply reinstalling any programs that you had before.

3 hours ago, skoalcherry said:

Well, if its just games, i guess your fine as long as the hdd survies the copy process :o

Even if you do have 2TB worth of games, it wont take 30 years. 

What speed is your connection?

Like I get 3MBs download through Steam.

Well, then i do understand.

So on your separate game harddrive you have the SteamLibrary folder?

Then i would suggest just copying it to the new drive indeed!