How is the HP Pavilion Power Gaming Laptop?

Well, it's an HP, so...

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Well, it's an HP, so...

so.. it's not dell, and is otherwise a well made laptop?

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

so.. it's not dell, and is otherwise a well made laptop?

I've had more bad luck, both personally at at the office, with HP laptops in the last two years than I care to recount. It's not a brand prejudice thing, it's a "their laptops are cheaply built and overpriced on name" thing.

Just now, aisle9 said:

I've had more bad luck, both personally at at the office, with HP laptops in the last two years than I care to recount. It's not a brand prejudice thing, it's a "their laptops are cheaply built and overpriced on name" thing.

well.. from a pile of 50-ish HP pro- and elitebooks.. we have only one "problem child" at the office. and that "problem child" turned out to be a flaky driver, easy fix.

and the few pavilions we have going about.. they have their issues, slow hard drives are a thing you learn to live with, but seeing what kind of crap some other brands pull. off.. satisfied customer here.

maybe its just as you say.. bad luck?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

well.. from a pile of 50-ish HP pro- and elitebooks.. we have only one "problem child" at the office. and that "problem child" turned out to be a flaky driver, easy fix.

and the few pavilions we have going about.. they have their issues, slow hard drives are a thing you learn to live with, but seeing what kind of crap some other brands pull. off.. satisfied customer here.

maybe its just as you say.. bad luck?

Your luck is better than mine, sir. I've attempted to flip three HP laptops this year.All have had irreparable problems and ended up as Goodwill tax writeoffs.

At work? Well, let's just leave it at this: we're retiring all of the remaining HP laptops and replacing them with ThinkPads, due entirely to the amount of problems we're having with them.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Your luck is better than mine, sir. I've attempted to flip three HP laptops this year.All have had irreparable problems and ended up as Goodwill tax writeoffs.

At work? Well, let's just leave it at this: we're retiring all of the remaining HP laptops and replacing them with ThinkPads, due entirely to the amount of problems we're having with them.

out of curiousity, what kind of irrepairable problems and what kind of HP laptops?

54 minutes ago, TheNeonWhiteOne said:

I am looking for a thin and light laptop for college and games. I like the thickness and look of the HP Pavilion Power Gaming Laptop. How is it?

Bad exhaust design, OKish build quality, dim IPS display with low sRGB, OKish cooling system, good battery life and fairly portable

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

out of curiousity, what kind of irrepairable problems and what kind of HP laptops?

All ProBooks, two were 440s and I can't remember what the other one was. All bad motherboards.

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

Bad exhaust design, OKish build quality, dim IPS display with low sRGB, OKish cooling system, good battery life and fairly portable

So overall would you recommend or suggest something else? 

I might try to undervolt the gpu a little to help with heat.

1 hour ago, TheNeonWhiteOne said:

I am looking for a thin and light laptop for college and games. I like the thickness and look of the HP Pavilion Power Gaming Laptop. How is it?

9 minutes ago, TheNeonWhiteOne said:

So overall would you recommend or suggest something else? 

I might try to undervolt the gpu a little to help with heat.

I have no experience with newer HP laptops, aside from their ProBook series, so I can't speak for them, however, I can fully recommend Dell's XPS 15 9560 laptop even though it's a little more pricey. It's got a bigger 97WHr battery compared the the HP you're looking at, and IMO is the best 15" thin and light laptop for business or school use that's also capable of gaming and creative usage, such as photo editing or light video editing.

I'm a little biased of course, owning an XPS 15 myself, but I chose it after carefully researching the market between Lenovo's business laptops and HP's ProBook series available last summer, and have been uber happy with the support I've received from Dell in getting my SSD replaced in it with a Samsung 951 NVMe drive. 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

6 minutes ago, kirashi said:

I have no experience with newer HP laptops, aside from their ProBook series, so I can't speak for them, however, I can fully recommend Dell's XPS 15 9560 laptop even though it's a little more pricey. It's got a bigger 97WHr battery compared the the HP you're looking at, and IMO is the best 15" thin and light laptop for business or school use that's also capable of gaming and creative usage, such as photo editing or light video editing.

I'm a little biased of course, owning an XPS 15 myself, but I chose it after carefully researching the market between Lenovo's business laptops and HP's ProBook series available last summer, and have been uber happy with the support I've received from Dell in getting my SSD replaced in it with a Samsung 951 NVMe drive. 

Thats a bit too extensive for me.

3 minutes ago, TheNeonWhiteOne said:

Thats a bit too extensive for me.

Then go for something a little more in your budget that still has a GTX1050 and an i5 CPU if you're not needing the i7 for content creation.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)