ECPA. Help make the Internet better.

Missioncode

At midnight on Thursday, the "We the People" petition demanding that the government update the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) will close. 

In order to ensure a response, we need to cross the threshold of 100,000 signatures. 

That goal is within reach, but we're not there yet. As I write this, we still have 23,274 signatures to go. 

Take two minutes to sign the petition and tell the government that the stuff you store online deserves the same legal protections as the stuff you keep in your home. 

Congress passed ECPA in the 1980s. 

The way we use the Internet has changed immensely in the nearly 30 years since the passage of this law -- but the law has not kept pace with this change. 

If the "We the People" petition gets more than 100,000 signatures by midnight tomorrow night, the White House will be obligated to respond. Add your name now: 

http://takeaction.withgoogle.com/white-house-petition 

To sign the petition, you'll create an account, click a link in the confirmation email, and then click once more to sign that petition. It's just a few clicks to help protect the Fourth Amendment, but they're clicks that will demand a response from the White House. 

Thank you, 

Derek Slater

Google Inc.

I know some of you must care and some of those who care haven't seen this and some of those actually live in the USA so here it is. I figured if Google is doing it, it must be better than what it currently is. 

What it says 

Americans are deeply concerned about NSA surveillance.

But the NSA’s not the only problem. An outdated law says the IRS and hundreds of other agencies can read our communications without a warrant.

That law, known as the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA), was written over 25 years ago, before the services we use today even existed.

Right now, several bills in Congress would fix this by updating ECPA to require a warrant, but regulatory bodies are blocking reform in order to gain new powers of warrantless access.

We call on the Obama Administration to support ECPA reform and to reject any special rules that would force online service providers to disclose our email without a warrant.

I assume this is on reddit and Imgur already?

15k sigs in 3 hours and can only sign after making an account? lolnope

Error: 410

Against a NSA-like act? Sure. Just hope no one is held for tresoan as that is what NSA was threating and holding.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

idk I got an email about it. Thought I would post it. 

How much time do we have left? Anyone know?

Not sure what time is considered midnight. I'm assuming it's relative to the time at the White House?

idk I got an email about it. Thought I would post it. 

Who sent it to you? a bit late to be campaigning now.

Who sent it to you? a bit late to be campaigning now.

Google it looks like but we sill have 24hs 

How much time do we have left? Anyone know?

Not sure what time is considered midnight. I'm assuming it's relative to the time at the White House?

Thursday at midnight so tomorrow at 12 EST

Seriously? It takes like two minutes to make an account and they need to know they have a real person behind a signature anyway.

Signed.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

signed

Fractal R4- 4670k @ 3.4 Ghz- Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb- 2TB Wd Black- 256 GB Samsung SSD- Cosair 760w PSU- Corsair h80i- ASUS CU II GTX 780- ASUS VI Hero LGA 1150

Seriously? It takes like two minutes to make an account and they need to know they have a real person behind a signature anyway.

Signed.

To be honest I didn't even check after I saw the date and the signatures required. 

I'll be deeply moved if it succeeds at this point.

Google it looks like but we sill have 24hs 

Thursday at midnight so tomorrow at 12 EST

I think midnight Thursday would be tonight at 12 AM, since that's technically Dec, 12th, but it is a bit ambiguous.

If it is going until tomorrow 12AM then it has a shot.

Well its at less than 10K now

I will be monitoring this.

I think midnight Thursday would be tonight at 12 AM, since that's technically Dec, 12th, but it is a bit ambiguous.

If it is going until tomorrow 12AM then it has a shot.

Well its at less than *9K now

Signed.

Intel Core i7 4770k | MSI Z87 | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz  Kingston HyperX | GeForce GTX 780 | Fractal Design Define R4 | 1TB WD Blue | CX600 | Corsair H100i

And also almost under 3k.

Intel Core i7 4770k | MSI Z87 | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz  Kingston HyperX | GeForce GTX 780 | Fractal Design Define R4 | 1TB WD Blue | CX600 | Corsair H100i

Will do jack shit for us australians, but signed anyway.

WE DID IT. 

We did it!

At 3am this morning, the White House petition on ECPA reform hit 100,000 signatures. 

The administration now has to respond. We won this round.

This is about restoring sanity to U.S. privacy law, which affects *everyone* in the world. There is no reason that our generations’ emails and texts don’t deserve the same privacy protection as the handwritten letters sent by our grandparents.

No government anywhere should be able to read our messages without probable cause and a warrant approved by a judge. And that’s just a *starting* point.

Thanks so much to all of you who signed. This one was close. I can say with confidence that we wouldn’t have hit 100k without the FFTF team hustling around the clock and our supporters (you!) sharing and spreading the word.

Of course, this is just the beginning. Next comes the White House response. Then movement in Congress. And oh yeah, there’s still that NSA thing. But one thing's for sure -- we're closer than ever before to some deep and meaningful changes to U.S. privacy laws. As we head into a new year, we’ll need your support to tackle all of this and more.

Things are picking up for the holidays. Gifts. Toys for kids. Food and parties with old friends. We think FFTF is worth putting on your list. :-) Fight for the Future is a tiny organization with a knack for pulling off huge wins at critical moments in the history of Internet freedom. We need your support, and we’d be honored to have it. Anything you can do makes a difference.

Thanks,
Holmes Wilson, Julia Graber