G-Sync Monitor Confusion

Go to solution Solved by MacAaroni,
14 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

I have the 24" version of that monitor; it works great. Have you enabled G-sync? Make sure v-sync is off too. What game are you playing? Is it full screen or windowed?

Yeah i had G-Sync enabled and V-Sync off globally, but i think i just fixed my issue for good! Took a look at the Nvidia Control Panel Settings again and went under Display > Change Resolution > Refresh Rate and saw that it was at 60Hz instead of 144Hz...  Wouldn't have guessed this was the issue cause I've played at higher than 60 FPS and didn't seem to have any screen tearing. I'll test this out on more games, but hopefully this was the fix i needed.

Recently i had upgraded my 1080P 60Hz monitor to a 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor (Dell S2716DG) and noticed in some games i was getting a lot of screen tearing when i was between 60-144 frames. A little confused on why this is happening.

I've been able to fix the issue using out of game settings in Nvidia Control Panel with V-Sync, but as far as im aware, using V-Sync introduces a bit of input lag? Would like to avoid as much input lag as possible. I thought the whole point of G-Sync was to avoid having to use anything that would cause more input lag and have the Monitor do all the work to keep things smooth.  Shouldn't G-Sync pretty much work out of the box? What am i missing? 

PS: Already tried searching the web & these forums for a clear answer, but no luck. Thanks for the help in advance.

For the S2716DG, you have to enable GSync through the NVIDIA Control Panel if I remember right

edit: and turn off VSync, it’s dumb :D

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

I have the 24" version of that monitor; it works great. Have you enabled G-sync? Make sure v-sync is off too. What game are you playing? Is it full screen or windowed?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

14 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Yeah i had G-Sync enabled and V-Sync off globally, but i think i just fixed my issue for good! Took a look at the Nvidia Control Panel Settings again and went under Display > Change Resolution > Refresh Rate and saw that it was at 60Hz instead of 144Hz...  Wouldn't have guessed this was the issue cause I've played at higher than 60 FPS and didn't seem to have any screen tearing. I'll test this out on more games, but hopefully this was the fix i needed.