what is that for

Marcelo Valerio

Hi!

Im almost finished to assembly my set up and Im not so sure if I have to connect something here 

or if I should leave it without anything connected to it

if I have to connect something which cable would or connection should I place there

ill upload a picture to help identify the problem

thanks in advance

20171216_180447[1].jpg

20171216_180514[1].jpg

It used to be part of really old jumper style when you had to tell the drive the master, slave setup. There are rare use cases for the jumper still but 99% of the time you don't need it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I don't think you are supposed to put anything there.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

That's for jumpers, and completely unneeded for most builds. Don't worry about connecting anything there.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

I don't think you are supposed to put anything there.

Depends on the system. They're there for a reason, just very few systems actually require them anymore. 

They're jumper pins for Reduced Power Spinup (two left pins) and Spread Spectrum Clocking (two right pins). 

You don't see them on SSDs because RPS and SSC aren't related to solid state storage. 

zgHrl.jpg

1 minute ago, Marcelo Valerio said:

by any chance would you know what is this?

and where should i connect it?

Molex connector (with only two pins, for providing power to something, possibly a fan controller if it's from your case, or lighting). 

You'd connect it to a molex connector from your PSU. They'll look similar to SATA power cables in that they'll have multiple connectors in a series on a single cable. 

EDIT: Also, thanks for using in-focus and in frame pictures. So many times it's a matter of "What's this?", followed by a blurry picture of something black, half cut off in the corner of the picture. 

@Oshino Shinobu man you spoke alien to me right know no idea what you sad about the stuff, but it sounds really cool

it made me wish to do some research on what you sad so i can grasp a little bit better what you have just sad up there

and about the second picture

by any chance it would connect into somethi5a355e4671280_20171216_1851411.thumb.jpg.6efe429bde8cdf0c91dd00676f8cdb95.jpg5a355e4ce3f2e_20171216_1851131.thumb.jpg.231419051529d83f1aebed7bbea31136.jpg5a355e5250714_20171216_1850401.thumb.jpg.c3d8bc5732b0b187d31eec80b534b6d4.jpgng like this?

2 minutes ago, Marcelo Valerio said:

@Oshino Shinobu man you spoke alien to me right know no idea what you sad about the stuff, but it sounds really cool

it made me wish to do some research on what you sad so i can grasp a little bit better what you have just sad up there

by any chance it would connect into something like this?

Molex connectors can be connected to your power supply and usually can be adapted to something else (sata power, pcie 6 pin, etc.). Most likely you won't need to worry about it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, Marcelo Valerio said:

by any chance it would connect into something like this?

If it's about the RPS and SSC jumpers, you really don't need to know about it. Anything half recent isn't going to need them. Honestly, I'm surprised they're still included on modern drives, I don't think drive manufacturers even include the jumpers for them. 

Yep. By the looks of things it's for the fan controller built into the case. 

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Molex connectors can be connected to your power supply and usually can be adapted to something else (sata power, pcie 6 pin, etc.). Most likely you won't need to worry about it.

But the thing he's plugging in is also a molex connector, no adapting going on, just molex to molex. From the looks of it, it's for a fan controller built into the case, given that the wires run up to the front panel. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

But the thing he's plugging in is also a molex connector, no adapting going on just molex to molex. 

Oops, got confused. In that case just plug the thing into the other thing :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

i think it is for the fun stuff

ill connect the thing into the thing

and then into the power supply 

4 minutes ago, Marcelo Valerio said:

ll connect the thing into the thing

and then into the power supply 

PC building in a nutshell really. Connect thing A to thing B. 

the other thing that i would like to know is

in my motherboard there is a 3.1 2nd gen usb connector

what do i have to do to take advantage of it

because with the case and motherboad cables i´m not sure that i saw anythig that i could connected to that and replace the ports 2.0 for this one

any suggestion on adapter that i should buy

or maybe any cable that maybe came along with my motherboard or case

that i should be searching for

the case is a corsair 780t and the motherboard is asus z370e

20171216_190226[1].jpg

9 minutes ago, Marcelo Valerio said:

the other thing that i would like to know is

in my motherboard there is a 3.1 2nd gen usb connector

what do i have to do to take advantage of it

because with the case and motherboad cables i´m not sure that i saw anythig that i could connected to that and replace the ports 2.0 for this one

any suggestion on adapter that i should buy

or maybe any cable that maybe came along with my motherboard or case

that i should be searching for

the case is a corsair 780t and the motherboard is asus z370e

If you're case has 5.25" bays at the front, you could buy a 5.25" front bay panel that has USB 3.1 Gen 2 (most of the time they'll be USB Type C). If not, you should be able to find an add in card that sits in a PCI bracket and connects to the header. 

There's still very little that uses the new header, so you haven't really got many options. I can only seem to find PCI brackets that connect to the header, so it's going to be at the back of the case. There's already 2 3.1 Gen 2 ports at the back of the case (One Type A and one Type C) so unless you really need 3 3.1 Gen 2 ports, I wouldn't bother with it. You can try looking around for 3.1 Gen 2 5.25" panels, but I can't seem to find any. 

Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Front-Header-Type-C-Female-Extension/dp/B074XQRY1N/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513448235&sr=1-5&keywords=USB+3.1+Front+Panel+Header

@Oshino Shinobu thanks a lot man!

and thank you very much everybody that assisted me in the process of build my very first pc

now I only have left is to install my gpu and the blueray reader and see if my pc will start without exploding ;D