Crucial m500 240GB or Samsung 840 Pro 128GB

guitarwiz23
Go to solution Solved by atrash,

^This. Who cares about endurance if you are just going to use it for your games. Any ssd will outlast its warranty period with years to spare even under the worst usage condition. So don't worry and just grab that M500.

I currently own 2 samsung 830 128GB, one in my main desktop and one in my macbook pro, and have had no problems with them. In my other desktop I ONLY have a 120GB original ocz vertex, but need more room for games and have decided that an ssd would be a better choice than adding an hdd for storage. I am somewhat concerned about the endurance of the m500, but speed is not a big issue for me, they will both be plenty fast. The 240gb m500 is 140 right now and the 128gb 840 pro is 130. Besides the obvious fact that the m500 has more storage, will there be any noticeable difference in the degradation of the drives? (The consideration of the mechanical hard drive was only because even if the ocz original vertex fails I would have had plenty, but slow storage). Again the drive would be strictly used to put more steam games on (unless the vertex fails then it would be my os and games). 

Thanks for any input!

I currently own 2 samsung 830 128GB, one in my main desktop and one in my macbook pro, and have had no problems with them. In my other desktop I ONLY have a 120GB original ocz vertex, but need more room for games and have decided that an ssd would be a better choice than adding an hdd for storage. I am somewhat concerned about the endurance of the m500, but speed is not a big issue for me, they will both be plenty fast. The 240gb m500 is 140 right now and the 128gb 840 pro is 130. Besides the obvious fact that the m500 has more storage, will there be any noticeable difference in the degradation of the drives? (The consideration of the mechanical hard drive was only because even if the ocz original vertex fails I would have had plenty, but slow storage). Again the drive would be strictly used to put more steam games on (unless the vertex fails then it would be my os and games). 

Thanks for any input!

You just answered your own question. 10 more dollars for nearly double the capacity? You'd be mental not to! :P

^This. Who cares about endurance if you are just going to use it for your games. Any ssd will outlast its warranty period with years to spare even under the worst usage condition. So don't worry and just grab that M500.

I figured that is the repsonse I would get, although I love my samsung drives, it looks like I will branch out and try a crucial (almost got an m4 instead of an 830 for my macbook though). I also see what has been said about not really having anything to worry about since it will only be storing games really. The ocz drive that is my os drive on my second desktop I got for free from a friend and honestly have no clue how much has been written to it or how much longer it could or will potentially last. Thanks for the responses to my question!