2 differnet cards in 1 PC?

Hai all, I've been trying to get a GTX 1070 and a FX 5800 to work in my PC simultaneously, but wither its windows 10 or windows 7, it seems one has issues when both are in. Images are after reinstalling the opposing GPU's Driver

CM FX 5800.PNG

CM GTX1070.PNG

FX5800P.PNG

GTX1070P.PNG

| Case: Custom       | Graphics Card: PNGTX 770

| Processor: Intel Xeon X5675 x2        

| Ram: 30GB      | PSU: 800W Redundant PSU

30 minutes ago, Wolf T Willful said:

Hai all, I've been trying to get a GTX 1070 and a FX 5800 to work in my PC simultaneously, but wither its windows 10 or windows 7, it seems one has issues when both are in. Images are after reinstalling the opposing GPU's Driver

What do you intend to do with the cards?

Apparently the Pascal drivers are iffy with the FX5800. I'd drop the FX5800 completely.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I was planning on ETH mining with both, but having the FX 5800 to continue mining while gaming on the GTX 1070

then when I'm working in Photoshop, Mining with the GTX 1070 and working on the FX 5800

or just keeping the FX 5800 on full time mining duty and everything else on the GTX 1070. i haven't Done any Tests to decide yet

4 minutes ago, Wolf T Willful said:

I was planning on ETH mining with both, but having the FX 5800 to continue mining while gaming on the GTX 1070

then when I'm working in Photoshop, Mining with the GTX 1070 and working on the FX 5800

or just keeping the FX 5800 on full time mining duty and everything else on the GTX 1070. i haven't Done any Tests to decide yet

Grab some cheap hardware that won't bottleneck your FX5800 and set up a dedicated mining rig.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Grab some cheap hardware that won't bottleneck your FX5800 and set up a dedicated mining rig.

that was my first thought but i was trying to save space and use what i have readily available

Just now, Wolf T Willful said:

The FX 5800 is so incredibly old (and there are no driver sets NVidia offers which work with both cards at once) that I can't imagine this being in any way profitable for you.

However, my suggestion if you really must try to get this setup working:

1. Install the latest driver to get your 1070 working properly.

2. Download and extract the latest (and last) desktop FX 5800 driver (Quadro/Tesla Desktop Driver Release 304, dated 24 Feb. 2015).

3. Instead of installing the Quadro driver by running the setup, manually install the driver for the card through Device Manager, pointing it to the extracted directory you just made.

This *should* enable both drivers to run concurrently, but I have absolutely zero guarantees it will actually work - these drivers are built on different WDDM versions, for one thing. It's not guaranteed to be stable in any way.

7 minutes ago, Tabs said:

The FX 5800 is so incredibly old (and there are no driver sets NVidia offers which work with both cards at once) that I can't imagine this being in any way profitable for you.

However, my suggestion if you really must try to get this setup working:

1. Install the latest driver to get your 1070 working properly.

2. Download and extract the latest (and last) desktop FX 5800 driver (Quadro/Tesla Desktop Driver Release 304, dated 24 Feb. 2015).

3. Instead of installing the Quadro driver by running the setup, manually install the driver for the card through Device Manager, pointing it to the extracted directory you just made.

This *should* enable both drivers to run concurrently, but I have absolutely zero guarantees it will actually work - these drivers are built on different WDDM versions, for one thing. It's not guaranteed to be stable in any way.

i actually have installed the driver directly from the extracted files and the issue transfers to the opposite card.

Just now, Wolf T Willful said:

i actually have installed the driver directly from the extracted files and the issue transfers to the opposite card.

In which case, the drivers simply aren't compatible with running concurrently. Sorry, you won't be able to use both at the same time in the same machine since NVidia has no driver that runs both cards, and if they refuse to play nice and run together then you'd always have to pick one to work at a time.

That is... unless you go completely crazy and start looking into things like Unraid, like what LTT did with the 7/8/10 Gamers 1 CPU build. 

But... that has a lot of SERIOUS downsides as well, like sharing of resources between multiple physical operating systems running concurrently. Definitely not a recommended option.

Does anyone think that maybe running Linux to mine would allow both the cards to be used? i feel that the OS would ignore that they are 2 different cards and use them both. 

another thought after that is using Freenas to run 2 VMs