Microsoft releases free preview of its Quantum Development Kit

88eyeguy

The kit includes the Q# programming language and compiler and a local quantum computing simulator, and is fully integrated with Visual Studio. There's also an Azure-based simulator that allows developers to simulate more than 40 logical qubits of computing power, plus documentation, libraries, and sample programs, officials said in their December 11 announcement.

Microsoft officials have said applications that developers create for use with the quantum simulator ultimately will work on a quantum computer, which Microsoft is in the process of developing. Microsoft's goal is to build out a full quantum computing system, including both the quantum computing hardware and the related full software stack.

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-free-preview-of-its-quantum-development-kit/

Full MS announcement: https://blogs.microsoft.com/ai/?p=73792

To my knowledge, this is the first development language/documentation that has been made widely available for potential quantum computing applications.  I'm curious to see what the adoption will be-if anything at all, beyond the purely curious.

19 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

D-Wave and IBM did that first.

I stand corrected.  Original post edited to reflect.

I've heard that RAM requirements over 30 qbits are insane.

16GB RAM for 30 Qbits, 16 Terabytes of RAM for 40 Qbits

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

46 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

I've heard that RAM requirements over 30 qbits are insane.

16GB RAM for 30 Qbits, 16 Terabytes of RAM for 40 Qbits

talk about non liniar scaleing O.o

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

20 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

talk about non liniar scaleing O.o

That has to be one wicked exponential curve to jump from 16GB to 16TB

So who wants to learn Q# ;)