Wich motherbord is better,Dual channel or quad channel?

Go to solution Solved by porina,

The number of memory channels is part of how much total ram bandwidth is available. It scales simply, dual channel is double single channel. Quad channel is double dual, or 4x single. The other factor is the rated speed. Generally it is easier to have more channels than fewer faster ones.

The limitation is quad channel is only really available on higher end hardware. Do you really need it? Most things only have a weak to moderate impact. I have some compute scenarios where it has a high impact, but they're not every day things.

7 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but dual channel and quad channel don't make much of a difference in performance, except for AMD Ryzen CPUs.

Ryzen CPUs can be helped by faster speed ram, as its infinity fabric is matched to the ram clock. The number of channels doesn't impact that directly.

Just now, R JEY RIFATH said:

I want to insart 4 stick of ddr4 ram on dual channel motherbord.. thouse ram can communicate eachothers on dual channel motherboard?

You can use 4 modules on dual channel no problem. Unless you need high total capacity, consider getting two modules and keep the slots spare.

i i am confused about motherbord..now a days wich is better ..does a dual channel motherbord is fast then quad channel ... how a dual channel motherboard work...?

Depends how much ram you want. 

Dual channel has 2 separate buses used for information delivery to the CPU. Meaning that if you have 2 DIMM sticks there would be no contest between them as long as they are inserted into the proper slots. 

Quad Channel is the same concept but on a larger scale. If you use 8 DIMM sticks on a quad channel motherboard, rather than a dual channel motherboard, only 2 sticks would have to compete with eachother in terms of information delivery to the CPU compared to 4 sticks competing on one bus to deliver information.

My personal PC:

CPU: Intel - Core i5 8600k  Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo  Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz DDR4 Storage: San Disk SSD Plus 240 GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB  Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC 8GB Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered Glass ATX  PSU: Corsair CX550M 80+ Bronze Certified Semi Modular PSU.

Peripherals:

Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse Keyboard: Rii - RK100 Wired Standard Keyboard Monitor: Asus - VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor Headset: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel Headset Speakers: Logitech - Z150 0W 2ch Speakers

Laptop: 

Medion  E6239 MD99452

PCPartpicker Link: 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VVwvHN

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but dual channel and quad channel don't make much of a difference in performance, except for AMD Ryzen CPUs.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

4 minutes ago, TheNight said:

I want to insart 4 stick of ddr4 ram on dual channel motherbord.. thouse ram can communicate eachothers on dual channel motherboard?

The number of memory channels is part of how much total ram bandwidth is available. It scales simply, dual channel is double single channel. Quad channel is double dual, or 4x single. The other factor is the rated speed. Generally it is easier to have more channels than fewer faster ones.

The limitation is quad channel is only really available on higher end hardware. Do you really need it? Most things only have a weak to moderate impact. I have some compute scenarios where it has a high impact, but they're not every day things.

7 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Ryzen CPUs can be helped by faster speed ram, as its infinity fabric is matched to the ram clock. The number of channels doesn't impact that directly.

Just now, R JEY RIFATH said:

You can use 4 modules on dual channel no problem. Unless you need high total capacity, consider getting two modules and keep the slots spare.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

40 minutes ago, TheNight said:

Depends how much ram you want. 

Dual channel has 2 separate buses used for information delivery to the CPU. Meaning that if you have 2 DIMM sticks there would be no contest between them as long as they are inserted into the proper slots. 

Quad Channel is the same concept but on a larger scale. If you use 8 DIMM sticks on a quad channel motherboard, rather than a dual channel motherboard, only 2 sticks would have to compete with eachother in terms of information delivery to the CPU compared to 4 sticks competing on one bus to deliver information.

With that being said, dual channel seems to be the sweet spot for the regular consumer. I can see the value in quad channel for HEDT prosumer machines because of the types of workloads they need to do.

BTW, why is nobody mentioning triple channel?! REMEMBER THAT?!

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Just now, Jon Jon said:

With that being said, dual channel seems to be the sweet spot for the regular consumer. I can see the value in quad channel for HEDT prosumer machines because of the types of workloads they need to do.

BTWE, why is nobody mentioning triple channel?! REMEMBER THAT?!

Yep, dual channel would be the sweet spot for the regular consumers such as gamers. 

Quad Channel would be helpful for power users, using more RAM sticks. 

Triple channel memory is a relic of the past. Gone and sadly forgotten. 

Rest In Peace Triple Channel Memory. 

My personal PC:

CPU: Intel - Core i5 8600k  Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo  Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz DDR4 Storage: San Disk SSD Plus 240 GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB  Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC 8GB Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered Glass ATX  PSU: Corsair CX550M 80+ Bronze Certified Semi Modular PSU.

Peripherals:

Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse Keyboard: Rii - RK100 Wired Standard Keyboard Monitor: Asus - VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor Headset: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel Headset Speakers: Logitech - Z150 0W 2ch Speakers

Laptop: 

Medion  E6239 MD99452

PCPartpicker Link: 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VVwvHN

11 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

BTWE, why is nobody mentioning triple channel?! REMEMBER THAT?!

I think they should consider bringing it back as an option, at least for high end consumer below HEDT. Now that we're entering into many more cores, the increases in ram speed aren't keeping up with the CPU potential.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I think dual and quad are available ..most motherbord has made for dual and quad channel .becouse of this people forgot about 3 channel.