Which card is better?

ResonantAce

Right now, I'm trying to upgrade my PC and I'm having trouble deciding between the two graphics cards.  I'm looking mainly for medium/high quality at 144fps for competitive games (Overwatch) and high/ultra quality at 60fps for AAA games (Metro, Witcher, Tomb Raider, Doom, Prey,PUBG, etc).  The cheapest GTX 1060 6Gb right now is EVGA Gaming at $260 and the cheapest RX 580 right now is the Asus Dual at $270.  Is it better to buy now while I can, or wait to see if the prices go back to MSRP of $250 and $230, respectively, within the first few months of 2018?  I know RX 580 has better DX12 and Vulcan support, Freesync (monitors seem cheaper) and overall average FPS, but does NVidia Gameworks, lower power consumption and better DX11 (in most older games) tip the scales?

2 minutes ago, ResonantAce said:

Right now, I'm trying to upgrade my PC and I'm having trouble deciding between the two graphics cards.  I'm looking mainly for medium/high quality at 144fps for competitive games (Overwatch) and high/ultra quality at 60fps for AAA games (Metro, Witcher, Tomb Raider, Doom, Prey,PUBG, etc).  The cheapest GTX 1060 6Gb right now is EVGA Gaming at $260 and the cheapest RX 580 right now is the Asus Dual at $270.  Is it better to buy now while I can, or wait to see if the prices go back to MSRP of $250 and $230, respectively, within the first few months of 2018?  I know RX 580 has better DX12 and Vulcan support, Freesync (monitors seem cheaper) and overall average FPS, but does NVidia Gameworks, lower power consumption and better DX11 (in most older games) tip the scales?

I would look at the competitive games you want to play and see what type of performance you can get with each gpu because both should be quite capable of 1080p 60 fps with good settings. Pushing 144 fps is kinda hard though so I would make sure you look into that. 

1060 > 580. (not sure if it can hit 144hz though)

Doubt prices will go down early next year for AMD because bitcoin. 

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

From what i have seen both cards preform very similarly but the 1060 also preformed a little bit better than expected in games that are specifically made in Favour of AMD. Freesync monitors from what i have seen is more common and cheaper than gsync monitors. With vulcan the rx580 does get more fps than the 1060 but i forgot by how much. Crossfire is also more common and easier than SLI if you want to do it. But at the end of the day i think it’s really up to your preference. Take my advice with a grain of salt as i am new to this tech business but i hope this helps. If you need more info check out hardware unboxed videos, he does a ton of comparisons with the two cards

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

I would look at the competitive games you want to play and see what type of performance you can get with each gpu because both should be quite capable of 1080p 60 fps with good settings. Pushing 144 fps is kinda hard though so I would make sure you look into that. 

Looked at both Overwatch and CSGO and both should be able to do 144fps at 1080p with around high-epic settings and low AA, so I might be good.

1 hour ago, bob51zhang said:

1060 > 580. (not sure if it can hit 144hz though)

Doubt prices will go down early next year for AMD because bitcoin. 

Yeah, I heard that Ethereum and Bitcoin are going down, but it seems they might be going back up.  I'm hoping that after the holidays there will be some deals or used cards.

56 minutes ago, GrandMushroom5 said:

From what i have seen both cards preform very similarly but the 1060 also preformed a little bit better than expected in games that are specifically made in Favour of AMD. Freesync monitors from what i have seen is more common and cheaper than gsync monitors. With vulcan the rx580 does get more fps than the 1060 but i forgot by how much. Crossfire is also more common and easier than SLI if you want to do it. But at the end of the day i think it’s really up to your preference. Take my advice with a grain of salt as i am new to this tech business but i hope this helps. If you need more info check out hardware unboxed videos, he does a ton of comparisons with the two cards

Thanks!  I looked at a few comparisons and it looks like, out of the games I played, besides things like Shadow of Mordor and Witcher 3, and sometimes Overwatch, the RX 580 does better for the most part.  It just might be the games used for the benchmarking, but depending on pricing I might do the RX 580, but I'll check a few more benchmarks.