Strange issue i don't understand

General Winter

when i try using my laptop, the HDD sounds almost like its scratching or grinding but when i put the fans on (high) turbo speed, the sound from the HDD immediatly stops, but now the fans are spinning quite loudly instead of the laptop sounding like its dying

what is the solution to this issue? i tried some HDD test and the HDD is as good as new acording to those, i can't say i saw any issues either when i opened it but i didn't remove the HDD

Are you sure it isn't just drowning out the HDD noise?

if it's scratching, then you have a problem -- drive might be dying.

but HDDs in normal use make noise, so if you hear normal HDD noises (squeaking, sound of the head stopping/starting, etc.) then you're fine.

also verify that it's coming from the HDD. sometimes for some reason trackpads make noise when you touch them.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

35 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Are you sure it isn't just drowning out the HDD noise?

if it's scratching, then you have a problem -- drive might be dying.

but HDDs in normal use make noise, so if you hear normal HDD noises (squeaking, sound of the head stopping/starting, etc.) then you're fine.

also verify that it's coming from the HDD. sometimes for some reason trackpads make noise when you touch them.

it doesn't drown it, the sound itself seemingly vanishes, like if it were drowned the sound would still have a trace

and i know its from the HDD compartment since i opened the back, i know where everything is and the scratching is coming directly from there, but at the same time the sound from there goes silent when i start up the fans into turbo

the trackpad is definitely not the issue