Acer Aspire E15 E5 575G - No Bootable Device

DarkSwordsman

So my girlfriend's Acer Aspire E15 E5 575G comes to a screen that says, "No Bootable Device". This is Windows Boot Manager, which I have encountered before, but the keyboard worked then.

No matter what we do, the keyboard doesn't work. I also want to mention that I am remote at the moment and she only has her friend's Macs to use.

It uses a 128GB M.2 SSD for the OS, and a 1TB HDD for storage. 

Before this, the computer had randomly shut off and didn't turn back or show that it was charging for a few hours. She eventually picked it up randomly and it started to work.

Following that, she said the screen went black with some white boxes on it. She restarted and it went back to normal.

I also gave her files for the Installation Media which work perfectly, but the keyboard doesn't work, so we can't use it. I'll explain more below:

She has tried all the following solutions:

We have not tried removing the battery yet. I did that with a friend who had the same laptop and it's a fairly cumbersome and delicate task that I don't want her trying unless we've exhausted all our options. I know how sensitive it can be for the I/O ports, and I don't want her breaking it and possibly causing more damage than just to the ports.

The Recovery error we get with the Installation Media is 0xc000000f, but as mentioned, the keyboard doesn't work, so we can't "Enter to Continue", "F8 for Startup Options", or "Esc for firmware [something something]".

Anyone have any ideas? I've exhausted multiple pages of multiple Google searches with plenty of other models.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Have you tried booting with a USB keyboard?

She and none of her housemates have one. She doesn't want to order one and there are no stores around her with keyboards available. I won't see her for another two weeks.

You should probably try to remove the battery or take it to the store to see if they can do anything.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Just now, thegreengamers said:

You should probably try to remove the battery or take it to the store to see if they can do anything.

Yeah, don't want to waste money for a store to do the same thing we're doing. I also already mentioned that we are going to do that battery if there are really no other options.

I'm willing to give this post at least a day to garner results.

It is possible that the keyboard ribbon has just become dislodged or something. Your best option is to wait until you can try a USB keyboard. As for the boot device issue, It is normally due to boot priority order being wrong, as i assume you know, but given that the keyboard isn't working, I'd say it is possible that the device has been hit or dropped at somepoint and the hard drive is either dead or also has its ribbons disconnected.

7 hours ago, PJemus said:

It is possible that the keyboard ribbon has just become dislodged or something. Your best option is to wait until you can try a USB keyboard. As for the boot device issue, It is normally due to boot priority order being wrong, as i assume you know, but given that the keyboard isn't working, I'd say it is possible that the device has been hit or dropped at somepoint and the hard drive is either dead or also has its ribbons disconnected.

She was able to bring it to me. The USB keyboard worked, however, I couldn't boot into the SSD which is where I originally installed the OS. 

Legacy mode was able to let me try, but it then said no bootable device. Doing UEFI nothing works.

In legacy mode I was able to boot into the HDD, oddly enough. It went to the log in screen like normal, but said there was an error when we put the password in.

I ended up checking her HDD and all her pictures and documents are there like expected and some hidden OS files (I guess what Windows normally does).

We ended up creating a proper Installation Media and re-installed Windows to the SSD. So it works now... But we have no keyboard, touchpad, or wifi. I have ensured that the ribbons for the keyboard and touch are secured and the PCI Wi-Fi card is definitely plugged in.

Should I just try to see if there are maybe some drivers? Really strange how they all just turned off. Seems like the BIOS or whatever disabled all external devices besides the screen.

Edit: The USB ports do work as noted with the keyboard working. 

I found some drivers on Acer's site for at least the Wi-Fi and Touchpad, so I'll try those out.