Upgrading confusion. PLEASE HELP

Mahbub

My current PC has a Gigabyte 78 lmt usb3, fx 6300 proccy and an r9380 gpu. Dad said either he is going to gift me an i5 8600k + mobo or a GTX1060. Which is better among these two options?

Take the 8700K and motherboard, pick up some RAM yourself and get a GPU down the line.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Take the 8700K and motherboard, pick up some RAM yourself and get a GPU down the line.

2 minutes ago, HZapperz said:

i5 8700k?

Sorry 8600k.  Suggest me

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Sorry 8600k will it run for next 4 years?

The i5 8600k + mobo is worth more so that  would be better :p, youll need some ddr4 memory though (quite expensive atm). Imo your current build is quite balanced for 1080p 60 hz gaming though. A much more powerfull GPU would be wasted with a fx 6300 unless you are trying to run at 4k 30-40 fps and a new CPU will only push your GPU a little bit further in some games.

Id probably  get the 8700k + mobo, buy some ram with the money I get from flipping the 6300+ mobo+ ram and upgrade the GPU later. Maybe a used 980 ti.

3 minutes ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

The i5 8600k + mobo is worth more so that  would be better :p, youll need some ddr4 memory though (quite expensive atm). Imo your current build is quite balanced for 1080p 60 hz gaming though. A much more powerfull GPU would be wasted with a fx 6300 unless you are trying to run at 4k 30-40 fps and a new CPU will only push your GPU a little bit further in some games.

Id probably  get the 8700k + mobo, buy some ram with the money I get from flipping the 6300+ mobo+ ram and upgrade the GPU later. Maybe a used 980 ti.

Ohh shit i am on tight budget. I have 16gb ddr3 vengance. Wont that run with i5 8600k atall??

Yeah, the CPU + mobo upgrade would be more beneficial to you for now. As others stated, you likely aren't able to use the RAM you currently have, so you'll need to get 1x8gb or so of DDR4 and you can always add 1 more 8gb stick in the future.

I strongly advise going with the locked i7 8700 on a cheap Z370 board, it will give you much more performance for pretty much the same pricing as you get to cheap up on mobo and cooler even if you managed to overclock the i5 8600k to 5ghz.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

Ohh shit i am on tight budget. I have 16gb ddr3 vengance. Wont that run with i5 8600k atall??

Nope, only ddr4. Skylake introduced DDR4 to the mainstream 2 years ago and there were only a few mobos that accepted ddr3l. Used ddr3 prices have also gone up though, so it might not be too bad. Look for auctions on DDR4 to save some money, they often go for less. I managed to buy 16gb corsair LED DDR4 for 85 euros because the auction was timed badly and sold my boring 16gb hyperx kit for 130 euros with ''buy it now'' recently :P

3 minutes ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

Nope, only ddr4. Skylake introduced DDR4 to the mainstream 2 years ago and there were only a few mobos that accepted ddr3l. Used ddr3 prices have also gone up though, so it might not be too bad. Look for auctions on DDR4 to save some money, they often go for less. I managed to buy 16gb corsair LED DDR4 for 85 euros because the auction was timed badly and sold my boring 16gb hyperx kit for 130 euros with ''buy it now'' recently :P

Haha okk. Lemme see then. And how good is the getting 1060 option? Also will i5 8600k run me for 4 years

yeah I would go coffee lake and Mobo because FX series is pretty much dead and buried at this point, and new cpu and mobo is a better value then a GTX 1060

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Just now, Mahbub said:

Haha okk. Lemme see then. And how good is the getting 1060 option? Also will i5 8600k run me for 4 years

I pretty sure you can run 4 years because some people are stilling using thing like 2600K's I personally would get Cpu and Mobo and buy ram.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

10 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

With an fx 6300 everything should be playable, but youll struggle to reach 60 fps in some games no matter the GPU and that is just going to get worse. If you are playing at 1080p and want a higher framerate the fx 6300 might hold you back alot, if you just want playable 40ish fps an a lot of eyecandy getting a better GPU might make some sense.

I cant see the future, but I expect the i5 8600k to give solid gaming performance for the next 5-10 years. Single core performance has been stagnating for years and with 6 cores it still has plenty of CPU horsepower in store.

Gamersnexus has some gaming Benchmarks with newer CPUs and the fx 8370 (wich has a higher clock and 2 more cores) you could look at. 

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2875-amd-r5-1600x-1500x-review-fading-i5-argument/page-4

13 minutes ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

With an fx 6300 everything should be playable, but youll struggle to reach 60 fps in some games no matter the GPU and that is just going to get worse. If you are playing at 1080p and want a higher framerate the fx 6300 might hold you back alot, if you just want playable 40ish fps an a lot of eyecandy getting a better GPU might make some sense.

I cant see the future, but I expect the i5 8600k to give solid gaming performance for the next 5-10 years. Single core performance has been stagnating for years and with 6 cores it still has plenty of CPU horsepower in store.

Gamersnexus has some gaming Benchmarks with newer CPUs and the fx 8370 (wich has a higher clock and 2 more cores) you could look at. 

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2875-amd-r5-1600x-1500x-review-fading-i5-argument/page-4

Well the new proccy should run me at least 3 years. Ac origins runs horrible on my pc. Too much framerste drops