Programmer/Student/Typist Looking For Keyboard

Undertaker225
Go to solution Solved by Guest lilbman,
Just now, Undertaker225 said:

lilbman, in your opinion/experience, do you think that having a mechanical keyboard would improve typing speed? Even if it's very minimal.

Thanks for your feedback.

For me it did..I could type pretty fast on an HP Pavilion laptop keyboard which is a really low profile keyboard, and I feel that I can type a bit faster on this keyboard.  When I first got it, it took me a while to get able to type quickly because I got into a habit of bottoming out the keys, but once I broke that habit, I can type at around 130 WPM.

Hello Everyone!

I currently use low-profile keyboards such as the one on the surface book or the Razer DeathStalker. I was considering using a mechanical keyboard because everyone seems convinced that it will improve the speed at which someone will be able to type. I spend a lot of time in my day typing. Between school and programming I can type thousands of words a day.

So, the question that I have for the LTT community: What is the best mechanical keyboard for programmers/typist that will improve speed, preferably something that doesn't take a large distance that would lead to fatigue, that is why I have stuck with low-profile keyboards until now.

Thank you in advance,

Friendly LTT member

1 minute ago, Undertaker225 said:

Hello Everyone!

I currently use low-profile keyboards such as the one on the surface book or the Razer DeathStalker. I was considering using a mechanical keyboard because everyone seems convinced that it will improve the speed at which someone will be able to type. I spend a lot of time in my day typing. Between school and programming I can type thousands of words a day.

So, the question that I have for the LTT community: What is the best mechanical keyboard for programmers/typist that will improve speed, preferably something that doesn't take a large distance that would lead to fatigue, that is why I have stuck with low-profile keyboards until now.

Thank you in advance,

Friendly LTT member

MX Browns are known to be very good for typing.  I use the Logitech G610 Orion Brown.  It looks professional enough to where I bought for one for use at work.  You don't need to press down very far for it to actuate, which leads to less fatigue.

1 minute ago, lilbman said:

MX Browns are known to be very good for typing.  I use the Logitech G610 Orion Brown.  It looks professional enough to where I bought for one for use at work.  You don't need to press down very far for it to actuate, which leads to less fatigue.

lilbman, in your opinion/experience, do you think that having a mechanical keyboard would improve typing speed? Even if it's very minimal.

Just now, Undertaker225 said:

For me it did..I could type pretty fast on an HP Pavilion laptop keyboard which is a really low profile keyboard, and I feel that I can type a bit faster on this keyboard.  When I first got it, it took me a while to get able to type quickly because I got into a habit of bottoming out the keys, but once I broke that habit, I can type at around 130 WPM.

Just now, lilbman said:

For me it did..I could type pretty fast on an HP Pavilion laptop keyboard which is a really low profile keyboard, and I feel that I can type a bit faster on this keyboard.  When I first got it, it took me a while to get able to type quickly because I got into a habit of bottoming out the keys, but once I broke that habit, I am able to type at around 130 WPM.

I type considerably faster on a mechanical keyboard after having gotten used to mine over the past few years. I switched from MX Browns, which were honestly one of my favorites, to a membrane keyboard and I would say it feels pretty similar but I do miss it. (My roommate couldn't stand the clicks being that loud). BUT I will say that its about a 20WPM increase for me personally typing on a mechanical as opposed to my laptop keyboard while sitting at the same desk.

Daily Driver:

CPU - Dual X5670 | GPU - GTX 750 Ti | CASE - HP DL380 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 8 x 146GB 15K RPM HDD

Work Horse:

CPU - Quad E7-4870 | GPU - Quad Tesla M2090 | CASE - HPDL580 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 2 x 256GB Samsung 950 EVO SSD

Just now, owluitar said:

I type considerably faster on a mechanical keyboard after having gotten used to mine over the past few years. I switched from MX Browns, which were honestly one of my favorites, to a membrane keyboard and I would say it feels pretty similar but I do miss it. (My roommate couldn't stand the clicks being that loud). BUT I will say that its about a 20WPM increase for me personally typing on a mechanical as opposed to my laptop keyboard while sitting at the same desk.

How long would you say that it takes to adjust? And I really liked the keyboard that lilbman recommended, but if you have a keyboard that you could recommend so that I have a greater frame of reference then I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for the response.

1 minute ago, Undertaker225 said:

How long would you say that it takes to adjust? And I really liked the keyboard that lilbman recommended, but if you have a keyboard that you could recommend so that I have a greater frame of reference then I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for the response.

Honestly, that's a great keyboard recommendation. Also, it took me almost a week before I reduced my mistakes on the keyboard to a bare minimum, but the speed increase was definitely noticeable quicker than that. It got really good about a month in of solid typing every day though. I use 10 rounds of the typing test that first pops up in Google search to test it.

If you can go to a store where they have one plugged in, see if you can test a typing test online with one.

Daily Driver:

CPU - Dual X5670 | GPU - GTX 750 Ti | CASE - HP DL380 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 8 x 146GB 15K RPM HDD

Work Horse:

CPU - Quad E7-4870 | GPU - Quad Tesla M2090 | CASE - HPDL580 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 2 x 256GB Samsung 950 EVO SSD

Personally I have a MX brown Leopold FC660M which I use at the office (programming, typing, etc) and at home for gaming.

I enjoy typing on it a lot, but I'm not sure I actually type any faster than I would on a membrane keyboard, though your mileage may vary. It certainly feels better to type on than a low profile keyboard, and that's probably the more important factor for me personally.

If you're working a job or are a student where you're typing most of the day, I think it's worth the investment. As far as key switches, I think browns are a good all around and are quiet enough to not drive everyone around you crazy. Do you have an electronics store near you where you could try a few keyboards out? 

4 minutes ago, bluestorm21 said:

Personally I have a MX brown Leopold FC660M which I use at the office (programming, typing, etc) and at home for gaming.

I enjoy typing on it a lot, but I'm not sure I actually type any faster than I would on a membrane keyboard, though your mileage may vary. It certainly feels better to type on than a low profile keyboard, and that's probably the more important factor for me personally.

If you're working a job or are a student where you're typing most of the day, I think it's worth the investment. As far as key switches, I think browns are a good all around and are quiet enough to not drive everyone around you crazy. Do you have an electronics store near you where you could try a few keyboards out? 

I appreciate the suggestion, I do, however, need the extra numpad on the side for the work that I do. I have an electronics shop near where I live if you count Best Buy. That's a very good Idea, I will probably do that. Thanks for the info. :)

20 hours ago, Undertaker225 said:

I appreciate the suggestion, I do, however, need the extra numpad on the side for the work that I do. I have an electronics shop near where I live if you count Best Buy. That's a very good Idea, I will probably do that. Thanks for the info. :)

Ah, fair enough. 60% boards aren't for everyone. Good luck!