GPU / Sata Issue

HazzaBean

Brought a 1060 and it arrived today, plugged it in however when i set to boot from on board it shows all four of my sata connections as disabled, using CX600M PSU going from a 280x to 1060 6GB on a z77 pro4-m Motherboard. 

When booting without a GPU or with my hold one it is just fine and recognises all SATA connections. 

Any ideas what could cause this? 

my first thought was PSU not powering it sufficiently however would the power draw of my old card not be significantly more? 

I had a look at the manual for the board, and it mentions nothing about the sata ports and pcie having compatibility issues. Is the new card putting pressure on the connectors perhaps? I know some boards have really awkwardly placed sata ports behind the gpu.

I don't think a power issue would cause that - usually, even if a disk doesn't have power, the port it's connected to would still show as being enabled, it just wouldn't detect the disk.

I'd be looking at the number of PCI-e lanes - it might be an issue with that. do you have a x16 length slot with x8 lanes you could try the card in? it might just be your cpu is running out of pcie lanes, and choosing to turn stuff off

New card is small form factor so can't be clamping down on the sata ports. it isn't disabling the sata ports per say just showing them as all disconnected. The board only has 1 pci-e 3.0 slot.

7 minutes ago, LateLesley said:

I'd be looking at the number of PCI-e lanes - it might be an issue with that. do you have a x16 length slot with x8 lanes you could try the card in? it might just be your cpu is running out of pcie lanes, and choosing to turn stuff off

I doubt that's the issue. The motherboard specifications don't show anything of that nature. And why wouldn't the issue creep up with the 280? They both use PCIe 3.0 x16 if it's allowed.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

33 minutes ago, HazzaBean said:

my first thought was PSU not powering it sufficiently however would the power draw of my old card not be significantly more? 

The 1060 consumes less power than the 280X.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Is there any chance the new gpu is a broken one? I don't have anything on hand to test this however I could run down a local store to check it some time during the week.

Going to try updating BIOS tomorrow any other suggestions let me know 

So I managed to gett this working on the 2.0 slot however it is extremely slow and not usable, proves the gpu is not the issue. It will register that the 1060 is on the machine however it will not let me update the driver or use gee force experience at all with it. And in games its worse performance than my 280. This is with pci enabled over on board again.

15 minutes ago, HazzaBean said:

So I managed to gett this working on the 2.0 slot however it is extremely slow and not usable, proves the gpu is not the issue. It will register that the 1060 is on the machine however it will not let me update the driver or use gee force experience at all with it. And in games its worse performance than my 280. This is with pci enabled over on board again.

Try running Display Driver Uninstaller (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) in safe mode. Then install Geforce Drivers (https://www.geforce.com/drivers).

There's a chance you don't have enough PCIe lanes. I've seen a few boards that disable the chipset SATA lanes when an M.2 Drive is installed

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

21 hours ago, DnFx91 said:

There's a chance you don't have enough PCIe lanes. I've seen a few boards that disable the chipset SATA lanes when an M.2 Drive installed

Is this still possible even when I have another 3.0 enabled card in the slot working fine?