How to test a cpu cooler?

Nemoh88

I have two questions really but my main one is...

How can I properly test my cpu fan? I'm having an odd npise noise coming fron around my gpu/cpu and have almost ruled every single thing out. However, I am yet to see if it could somehow be my cpu fan. Is the best way to up the speed in Bios? Or run a Cpu stress test? Thanks for any help.

My other quick question is related because basically the noise usually happens under load but when my friend was trying to rule out coil whine for me he ran both Furmark and Unigine under similar settings. Unigine still made the sound same as it would in a game but Furmark made not a single noise. Why could that be? I'm a bit of a noob so was wondering how those programmes differ and how one could still cause the issue but the other not (I tried Googling the answer but got confused) Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Nemoh88 said:

I have two questions really but my main one is...

How can I properly test my cpu fan? I'm having an odd npise noise coming fron around my gpu/cpu and have almost ruled every single thing out. However, I am yet to see if it could somehow be my cpu fan. Is the best way to up the speed in Bios? Or run a Cpu stress test? Thanks for any help.

My other quick question is related because basically the noise usually happens under load but when my friend was trying to rule out coil whine for me he ran both Furmark and Unigine under similar settings. Unigine still made the sound same as it would in a game but Furmark made not a single noise. Why could that be? I'm a bit of a noob so was wondering how those programmes differ and how one could still cause the issue but the other not (I tried Googling the answer but got confused) Thank you.

Try installing speedfan and checking the fans. On PWM fans you can control the fan speeds and therefore diagnose the noise issues. 

If you wish to stress test the CPU, give AIDA64 a go as it will give a more definitive answer than the GPU stress tests. 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

2 hours ago, another random person said:

Try installing speedfan and checking the fans. On PWM fans you can control the fan speeds and therefore diagnose the noise issues. 

If you wish to stress test the CPU, give AIDA64 a go as it will give a more definitive answer than the GPU stress tests. 

I will try those thanks. I did once try cpu-z and the noise wasn't there. I was just curious with the gpu tests as one caused the noise to be very present and the other was completely silent. The whole noise is a mystery. Tryed almost everything and it is still there and even experienced people have look at it and have no idea lol

2 hours ago, Nemoh88 said:

I will try those thanks. I did once try cpu-z and the noise wasn't there. I was just curious with the gpu tests as one caused the noise to be very present and the other was completely silent. The whole noise is a mystery. Tryed almost everything and it is still there and even experienced people have look at it and have no idea lol

Sorry just another quick one, does Speedfan work on Ryzen?

Yes it does. Should work just fine on any computer.

I will look into differences within the test parameters of the tests. 

Alright so basically the Furmark load is basically there to heat up the Card whereas the Unigine loads are actual GPU max utilisation tests. So there may be a link between the usage of the GPU and the whining noise. 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Just now, another random person said:

Alright so basically the Furmark load is basically there to heat up the Card whereas the Unigine loads are actual GPU max utilisation tests. So there may be a link between the usage of the GPU and the whining noise. 

Yeah it does seem to be. It's like a severe case of coil whine (gtx 1070 at only 60fps on most games) however, this is my 3rd card...so...seems very unlikely. I've also changed my psu twice.

21 minutes ago, Nemoh88 said:

Furmark more or less only uses the GPU, where as Unigine is a benchmark for the entire system. They test different things. Both stress the GPU but only Unigine stresses the CPU much

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

43 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Furmark more or less only uses the GPU, where as Unigine is a benchmark for the entire system. They test different things. Both stress the GPU but only Unigine stresses the CPU much

So maybe that is pointing to the noise/issue being caused by the cpu? But then again, I assume a cpu only stress test would show me if I'm having cpu problems? Unless it's some sort of issue with how the cpu is communicating with the gpu? I dunno. Very close to selling the thing for parts and moving on.

45 minutes ago, Nemoh88 said:

So maybe that is pointing to the noise/issue being caused by the cpu? But then again, I assume a cpu only stress test would show me if I'm having cpu problems? Unless it's some sort of issue with how the cpu is communicating with the gpu? I dunno. Very close to selling the thing for parts and moving on.

its not imposible that the CPU VRM is makeing the noise so run a CPU stresstest like IBT, IXT, P95 or AIDA 64 and see if you hear anything. could also be the CPU fan bearing going bad

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its not imposible that the CPU VRM is makeing the noise so run a CPU stresstest like IBT, IXT, P95 or AIDA 64 and see if you hear anything. could also be the CPU fan bearing going bad

As in on the mobo? I've swapped mobos and had no improvement. I did also run cpu-z and didn't get the noise.

23 minutes ago, Nemoh88 said:

As in on the mobo? I've swapped mobos and had no improvement. I did also run cpu-z and didn't get the noise.

hmm well the CPU itself shouldnt be the problem, seeing as it has no way of makeing a noise so id say its the cooler

Builds:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

hmm well the CPU itself shouldnt be the problem, seeing as it has no way of makeing a noise so id say its the cooler

Wouldn't the cooler make the noise during a cpu stress test though?

16 minutes ago, Nemoh88 said:

Wouldn't the cooler make the noise during a cpu stress test though?

true, it should have. could be the PSU as well, that can also have coilwhine and that would explain why only Unigine has given the problem seeing as thats when its under the most load here

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

true, it should have. could be the PSU as well, that can also have coilwhine and that would explain why only Unigine has given the problem seeing as thats when its under the most load here

I did swap the psu once and it made it a bit better but maybe I was just listening out for it so I'll try one more psu. Do you think more wattage is likely to help the problem or should I keep the same? My system says it only needa like 380w or something and I have 650w but I'm thinking if I try a higher wattage it might help?

4 minutes ago, Nemoh88 said:

I did swap the psu once and it made it a bit better but maybe I was just listening out for it so I'll try one more psu. Do you think more wattage is likely to help the problem or should I keep the same? My system says it only needa like 380w or something and I have 650w but I'm thinking if I try a higher wattage it might help?

650W or 750W are both good choices

Builds:

Spoiler

8 hours ago, another random person said:

Yes it does. Should work just fine on any computer.

This isn't true. It depends which fan controller chip mobo uses. Some don't have specs available online so dev can't update support for them. Last update was made in 2015, so any new controller since then isn't supported. Meaning most of Kaby and Coffee Lake mobos. I don't know about Ryzen.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You could stop the fan with your hand to see if the noise goes with it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.