Suggestion on covering big house with Wifi

Hi LTT community,

I need an advice on what/how to cover pretty big house (approx 600 sqm) with Wifi signal.

This is how current coverage looks like and how everything is installed.

- 600sqm house has pretty thick walls, even inner walls

- ground floor side room (office room) has ISP cable modem installed, bound to ASUS AC router,

- there are basically no disturbances coming from the ISP side or router side.

- there are at least 20 devices connected to the wifi in every moment (if nearby)

- wifi should also be available in the 1st floor on the complete opposite side of the location of modem/router

Problems and good to knows

- there are no ethernet cables going through the house and this isn't an option or something I could do 

- any IT accessories should be hidden as much as possible (no extra routers lying around on the tables should be visible)

- router + modem lies in the office cabinet

- being in another room (which is connected to the office), the signal drops to 20%. the internet on 20% is unusable (too much of package drops)

- 1st floor doesn't find the router AP at all.

- last year, AP extender was installed in 1st floor exactly above the office- it was used as WIFI extender (the one you put in power wall slot)- it was horrible. not only it dropped packages but it also stopped working after few minutes being connected on it.

- also keep in mind that the people living in the house aren't born IT professionals so the solution should be really reliable and if one of the parts dies, it should be replacable with and ease.

What are the possibilities?

- buying more wifi extenders? (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wifi+extender), but, where to put them?

- buying ethernet-over-power adapters? (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lan+over+power&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alan+over+power), but, will it handle the ground to first floor difference?

- buying Wifi mesh system (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wifi+mesh&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awifi+mesh), but, is it really worth the price?

- something else? should I use different adapters and bind them together? 

Please give me suggestions on what should be the best choice to buy and cover all the rooms of house. 

I will respond to any question coming from your side.

Regards :)

Gregor

Looks like you are A bit stuck. I would normally suggest a Wi-Fi mesh with each access point connected back to the router with Ethernet (like the unifi access points)

Do you have a crawl space on the roof? If so you could get a data line  between the roof and the router (ether Ethernet or Ethernet over power) then daisy chain a few access points together with Ethernet just running across the crawl space. You could do the same under the house if you did not get enough signal in the ground floor assuming that you had a crawl space there as well.

The only problem with this is that the access points in the roof can get very hot in summer.

6 hours ago, lordgreg said:

Hi LTT community,

I need an advice on what/how to cover pretty big house (approx 600 sqm) with Wifi signal.

- ground floor side room (office room) has ISP cable modem installed, bound to ASUS AC router,

- there are at least 20 devices connected to the wifi in every moment (if nearby)

- wifi should also be available in the 1st floor on the complete opposite side of the location of modem/router

- there are no ethernet cables going through the house and this isn't an option or something I could do 

- any IT accessories should be hidden as much as possible (no extra routers lying around on the tables should be visible)

- being in another room (which is connected to the office), the signal drops to 20%. the internet on 20% is unusable (too much of package drops)

- last year, AP extender was installed in 1st floor exactly above the office- it was used as WIFI extender (the one you put in power wall slot)- it was horrible. not only it dropped packages but it also stopped working after few minutes being connected on it.

- also keep in mind that the people living in the house aren't born IT professionals so the solution should be really reliable and if one of the parts dies, it should be replacable with and ease.

- buying more wifi extenders? (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wifi+extender), but, where to put them?

- buying ethernet-over-power adapters? (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lan+over+power&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alan+over+power), but, will it handle the ground to first floor difference?

- buying Wifi mesh system (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wifi+mesh&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awifi+mesh), but, is it really worth the price?

Please give me suggestions on what should be the best choice to buy and cover all the rooms of house. 

Gregor

Well WiFI extenders are shit. Mesh systems are just glorified WiFi extenders, again which are shit. The proper way to do this is run Ethernet to all your AP's. But you cant do that. So your kinda boned. You said something about thick walls, but what really matters is what they are made out of. If for instance they are concrete then you really boned, because WiFi and concrete dont mix.  You can try powerline adapters, but they can be hit or miss depending on the distance the signal has to go and how good your electrical wiring in the walls is. OR you can try Moca adapters, but they are expensive, but you didnt indicate if you have coax in the walls. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

do you have an attic and or basement? or at least crawl space

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

On 12/1/2017 at 2:18 PM, lordgreg said:

Hi LTT community,

Gregor

i would buy UBNT wireless either the AP's or there mesh network stuff , i have the AP-AC-PRO AP and its got nice range and i have a house with exterior brick walls . when trying to get signal from outside the house .

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS