Grainy Image and Text

My new asus vp247ha monitor just arrived, and so for I have only linked it to my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 15 5558 (I can't find the correct model anymore, but it has a GeForce 920M) from 2015, via an AmazonBasics HDMI cable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GELBKYS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a 24", 60Hz 1080p  VA monitor, and I am planning to hook it up to a custom PC (planning for a gtx 1060 and intel 8400) some time in 2018.

It has a noticeable grainy image and text quality, and I was wondering if this had something to do with it being connected to a laptop rather than a console or PC.

The other concern I had was that it does not have a displayport input, so I'm not sure if it will be okay with the PC.

Sorry if some of these seem obvious, but I'm new to monitors and most computer things so I'm not confident of the ins and outs.

Thanks!

Try adjusting the settings using "calibrate display" in windows. There's also "adjust cleartype text". Give that a run and see if it helps at all. Check what resolution you are using. If your laptop is a low resolution but the monitor is trying to run at 1920x1080 or something higher, it will look worse.

Just now, NinJake said:

Try adjusting the settings using "calibrate display" in windows. There's also "adjust cleartype text". Give that a run and see if it helps at all. Check what resolution you are using. If your laptop is a low resolution but the monitor is trying to run at 1920x1080 or something higher, it will look worse.

I'll try the calibrate display and perhaps adjust cleartype text.

The Laptop has a much crisper image, although it does have only a 15.6" screen, but it is running at 1920x1080 at 60Hz as well.

15 minutes ago, Oscar RA said:

It has a noticeable grainy image and text quality, and I was wondering if this had something to do with it being connected to a laptop rather than a console or PC.

Definitely not, a laptop and desktop PC are functionally the same thing, just in different form factors.  If anything, you'd notice a difference on console... not that I would expect it there either, but if we're gonna group things...

What exactly do you mean by "grainy" image?  Would it be possible to take a picture of it to show the issue?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Definitely not, a laptop and desktop PC are functionally the same thing, just in different form factors.  If anything, you'd notice a difference on console... not that I would expect it there either, but if we're gonna group things...

What exactly do you mean by "grainy" image?  Would it be possible to take a picture of it to show the issue?

I always thought that that didn't make sense, but It's happened to me when I plugged it into a TV as well.

I just feel as if the image or text isn't as crisp, side by side.

Here is a photo comparing the two:

IMG_20171201_164735.jpg

8 minutes ago, Oscar RA said:

I always thought that that didn't make sense, but It's happened to me when I plugged it into a TV as well.

Did you try looking at that picture at full size? 

Capture.PNG.943d09379de5cd4da2c46b4516723ecb.PNG

It looks like this... I can't tell anything from that.  Whatever is going on here is a subtle thing that you'll need to see pixels to notice

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

would it be possible to get a picture of just what's on the monitor? no need to see the laptop at the moment.

On 01/12/2017 at 5:12 PM, NinJake said:

would it be possible to get a picture of just what's on the monitor? no need to see the laptop at the moment.

IMG_20171204_170700.jpg

IMG_20171204_170706.jpg

IMG_20171204_170728.jpg

Thanks for the pic. From a distance you can't really notice the grainy-ness however... have you had the chance to plug that monitor into a different system yet? (xbox/playstation/PC)

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, Oscar RA said:

IMG_20171201_164735.jpg

go into displays menu and turn gamma down to match the laptops gamma(6800k 9300k etc)

7 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

go into displays menu and turn gamma down to match the laptops gamma(6800k 9300k etc)

Those are colour temperatures not gamma, but I think you might be right about (at least one) solution anyway

19 minutes ago, Oscar RA said:
Spoiler

IMG_20171204_170706.jpg

Frankly this looks normal to me.  The stepping effect is pixel sized, so your resolution seems to be set correctly, and I can see that, while mild, it is anti-aliasing them so I'm not sure what else to try except maybe the gamma thing.