Network in Win7 will work 50% of time after reboot

Mr. Chicken Sandwich

Hi,

I have an older Win7 desktop where recently when I login to Windows, the Network icon next to the clock will have a blue circle on it (like the circle Windows makes when it's thinking) and it just wont connect... seems to be frozen as I cannot open Network and Internet Connections, etc...

To get it working, I have to either reboot a bunch of times, or even reboot into SafeMode w/Networking.  Then maybe it will work on next normal boot.

I've deleted the NIC in Device Manager, used the Windows Drivers for it, and even updated to the latest drivers.  (The motherboard is a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L 1.0).  It will work for a week or so, then not on the next boot.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thank-you!

2 minutes ago, Mr. Chicken Sandwich said:

do you mean the physical network card?

Yeah

That's a 10 year old motherboard. Get a usb to ethernet adapter for 10 bucks and call it a day. Otherwise reinstall windows to see if it's a software problem.

when it loads properly, it works no problem, it's just when it reboots there's a 50% chance it will hang.  lights on the NIC are on.

yesterday I ran msconfig, did selective startup, and disabled everything non Microsoft, then just enabled AV/MW.  So far so good, but time will tell :)