PSU Doesn't have 8 pin connector

szilyke

I wanted to buy myself an MSI 760GA-P43 mobo but I noticed my PSU only has 4 and 6 pin connectors and the mobo has an 8 pin . Is there anything I could do ,besides getting a new psu ? 

PS: I've checked other forums aswell some people said that I could get a 4 to 8 pin connector . Would this be good? http://www.pcgarage.ro/conectica/cooltek/cablu-atx12v-8-pini-2x4-pini-30-cm/

That motherboard seems to be a mid to high power orientated overclocking board and would require a proper 8 pin connector for adequate power. Sounds like you are just going to have to get a new power supply. There are decent ones that would suit you're needs for approx $100.

Accidentally pooped my pants in the elevator.

I'm taking this shit to a whole new level.

What PSU do you actually have?

If it truly does´t have a 8-Pin connector you will simply just have to buy a new PSU since that one can´t be supported by a 4-Pin :(

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

It will work with a 4 pin connector, but I wouldn't count on it for long. Looks like it's new power supply time. :/

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

It will work if you just plug in the 4pin. I had it that way for a while, while i was waiting for a new psu. Didn't have any problems. 

Stil, it is probably a good idea to buy a nice high quality psu.

What I want to know is if the psu would work properly if I would use a 4 to 8 pin adapter.

What I want to know is if the psu would work properly if I would use a 4 to 8 pin adapter.

Yes, it will work. It will also work without one.

I can't see why an adapter would be a problem. Electricity is electricity, as long as there is enough there won't be problems. Unless somehow whatever wires were before that adapter couldn't handle the current. Just make sure that you have enough power coming out of the rail that your running off of. If you do decide to get a new power supply you don't need to bother with a $100 model unless you really need efficiency or really need power. Which if your just gaming on one graphics card you probably don't need either.

So yes the adapter would work. But the one you linked looks like it wants an 8 pin pci-e power, so you'll want to make sure you have a spare one of those.

And the worst that can happen if one 4 pin doesn't work is it doesn't boot.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

you don`t need that. it will work just fine with the 4 pin only

So yes the adapter would work. But the one you linked looks like it wants an 8 pin pci-e power, so you'll want to make sure you have a spare one of those.

I think it's just 8pin to 4+4pin. 

I think it's just 8pin to 4+4pin. 

Yes it's a 8 to 4+4. 

According to other forums if I don't use a 4 to 8 pin adapter my CPU won't perform that well...

According to other forums if I don't use a 4 to 8 pin adapter my CPU won't perform that well...

The adapter that you linked won't have any effect, since it requires the 8pin in the first place. Your cpu will perform the same with just the 4pin, it just might not be as stable, especially for overcocking. If you want better reliability you should get a new psu.

The adapter that you linked won't have any effect, since it requires the 8pin in the first place. Your cpu will perform the same, it just might not be as stable, especially for overcocking. If you want better reliability you should get a new psu.

Oh I'm not planing to OC , I'm with with stock speed xD .

That motherboard seems to be a mid to high power orientated overclocking board and would require a proper 8 pin connector for adequate power. Sounds like you are just going to have to get a new power supply. There are decent ones that would suit you're needs for approx $100.

It is most definitely not an overclocking board, it has no vrm cooling and would overheat so quickly if you tried to.

You will be fine plugging the 4 pin straight in.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

What are your specs?

Umm AMD 6570 1gb , CPU is AMD FX-6300 , 6gb DDR 3 1600mhz RAM , and the psu is 450W.

You should be fine with just the 4pin for now, but if you upgrade your gpu you will need a new psu anyways.