What Kind Of Entertainment Experiences Would Get You Out Of The House and Into An Entertainment Lounge?

Favalava

I won't lie guys. This is a business I've been thinking about starting for years and honestly, it's still 4-5 years off since I'm 23. For now, my best work towards this goal is perfecting the future of entertainment experiences. 
What does any of this mean? Well, it means I've been getting into some dope ass tech yo. 

I imagine that this place will be the perfect permanent LAN but could also have much versatility similar to how public property works.
I want this place to be made for and inspired by gamers and tech enthusiasts because that's my friend group.

So. 
This building would have to be a multiroom place with a central communal area.
I plan to use the communal area for ambient or priority media consumption.

- This would mean that most of the time this projector / giant tv setting up will be streaming entertainment. 
- Priority media consumptions are things like internet tournaments, new videos from partners, LAN tournaments, in-house tournaments

- Priority media will also be mass media events like bowl games, championships, the oscars for lulz, and even elections. 
- Of course, you could play on whatever display this is. 

Other rooms would be designed for a traditional LAN experience where you're given some form of privacy or group setting. 
I want every desk to have wheels and the computers to function wirelessly so that they can be rolled around and need only 1 plug for the entire desktop to function. 
Desks don't have to have a purpose and can be rolled around for pop up events like a DND campaign or a bring your own desktop, laptop LAN. 

Of course, the peak of entertainment will need a food source or some kind of staff ready to feed you.
This place isn't designed to be a restaurant but I think it'd be cool to go somewhere and know you'll be guaranteed a meal or free delivery of a 3rd party meal. 

I love virtual reality and think this place would awesome for showing it off and inspiring others to pursue applications in it or simply purchase. 

I see this place as a media and education resource.
You can come here to learn about game strategy, esports, technology, programming, and how to build a computer.
Or you can come and just be entertained.

I feel like this matters, I live in Southern California which is heavily populated and has a mature esports scene. 

I think I've described plenty of experiences and services offered here and a majority of these would get me out of the house, often with friends and possibility on an individual basis.

If none of these experiences sound cool to you, let me know! If you have some that you can think of, let me know! If you think something should be changed, let me know! 

This post is about the experiences and not the financials.
Please share your thoughts on the entertainment options and if enough people are interested I will describe pricing structure and operating costs. 

This doesn't appeal to me, but that's mainly because I'm an anti-social git and being around other people annoys me.

If I could have it to myself or just a handful of friends, that would be cool. I could see it being good for parties and such if you can rent out rooms. 

I wouldn't personally go to this, i'm very shy. But this seems like a really cool idea, though how will it be free..?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

This doesn't appeal to me, but that's mainly because I'm an anti-social git and being around other people annoys me.

If I could have it to myself or just a handful of friends, that would be cool. I could see it being good for parties and such if you can rent out rooms. 

There will definitely be rooms for small groups and introverted users! I would like to go someday and be fed and ignored as well.

Shared VR weirds me out  because having lice/flees faking sucks and the best way to share it around is communal hats

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, QuantumBit said:

I wouldn't personally go to this, i'm very shy. But this seems like a really cool idea, though how will it be free..?

I mentioned free only for the sake of the post. However, there have been plenty of discussion about pricing and if this post gets enough traction I might share my ideas later.
If you're shy there will be a private place for you to game in a comfortable independent setting. That's one of my goals since I'm also introverted. 

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Shared VR weirds me out  because having lice/fles faking sucks and the best way to share it around is communal hats

VR wouldn't really shared but you'd be able to watch their experiences on the big screen and see them in real life. The sharing of VR to me means just letting someone who hasn't seen or played it, have a try. Sharing in their first time VR experiences is really fun in my opinion. 

Just now, Favalava said:

I mentioned free only for the sake of the post. However, there have been plenty of discussion about pricing and if this post gets enough traction I might share my ideas later.
If you're shy there will be a private place for you to game in a comfortable independent setting. That's one of my goals since I'm also introverted. 

Seems like a cool idea then, so would the solo rooms be for like people without computers or would they still be able to join the LAN party but skipping the small talk?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

1 minute ago, QuantumBit said:

Seems like a cool idea then, so would the solo rooms be for like people without computers or would they still be able to join the LAN party but skipping the small talk?

You will always have the option of using one of our desktops if you do not have one. With any desktop, you can then enter a private room and skip small talk but still participate in any LAN events if you want. 

12 minutes ago, Favalava said:

I won't lie guys. This is a business I've been thinking about starting for years and honestly, it's still 4-5 years off since I'm 23. For now, my best work towards this goal is perfecting the future of entertainment experiences. 
What does any of this mean? Well, it means I've been getting into some dope ass tech yo. 

I imagine that this place will be the perfect permanent LAN but could also have much versatility similar to how public property works.
I want this place to be made for and inspired by gamers and tech enthusiasts because that's my friend group.

So. 
This building would have to be a multiroom place with a central communal area.
I plan to use the communal area for ambient or priority media consumption.

- This would mean that most of the time this projector / giant tv setting up will be streaming entertainment. 
- Priority media consumptions are things like internet tournaments, new videos from partners, LAN tournaments, in-house tournaments

- Priority media will also be mass media events like bowl games, championships, the oscars for lulz, and even elections. 
- Of course, you could play on whatever display this is. 

Other rooms would be designed for a traditional LAN experience where you're given some form of privacy or group setting. 
I want every desk to have wheels and the computers to function wirelessly so that they can be rolled around and need only 1 plug for the entire desktop to function. 
Desks don't have to have a purpose and can be rolled around for pop up events like a DND campaign or a bring your own desktop, laptop LAN. 

Of course, the peak of entertainment will need a food source or some kind of staff ready to feed you.
This place isn't designed to be a restaurant but I think it'd be cool to go somewhere and know you'll be guaranteed a meal or free delivery of a 3rd party meal. 

I love virtual reality and think this place would awesome for showing it off and inspiring others to pursue applications in it or simply purchase. 

You can come here to learn about game strategy, esports, technology, programming, and how to build a computer.

I feel like this matters, I live in Southern California which is heavily populated and has a mature esports scene. 

I think I've described plenty of experiences and services offered here and a majority of these would get me out of the house, often with friends and possibility on an individual basis.

If none of these experiences sound cool to you, let me know! If you have some that you can think of, let me know! If you think something should be changed, let me know! 
To make this easier, everything will be free. 

wait dude.... let me know.. Im in Cerritos, right next to the library and sherrifs station

I miss the old Lan centres, I'd be keen to go to these just for the social aspect. There is an awesome underground one in the next city over and almost every visit I go there to game.  

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

You have to ask yourself, “what can I offer that’s more than just going to a friend’s house?”, I mean, if you expect people to pay and make reservations, you better offer something extraordinary. Pretty much all you’ve said so far is like an internet lounge, which only really work well in asia.

1 minute ago, Favalava said:

There will definitely be rooms for small groups and introverted users! I would like to go someday and be fed and ignored as well.

You could consider little gaming booths that one or a couple of people can rent out for however long, with a gaming PC, maybe some consoles and such. 

If you look into the manga cafe type places that are fairly common in Japan, that's what I mean. You basically get a booth and can go get drinks and food and stay in the booth reading (playing games in this case). Some of them have beds so you can sleep if you want. While that may not be popular in the west for books, I could see it being popular for games, especially if there's a new game out that people want to play or they can't afford to buy a high end PC. They could pay $15 an hour or something for one of those booths and try out multiple new games to see which one they want to buy themselves. 

You'd need to work out if it would be cost effective and obviously deal with the threat of theft (I'd imagine you wouldn't have the actual PC in the booth, but behind it or something so it can't be messed with or have liquid spilled on. 

2 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

wait dude.... let me know.. Im in Cerritos, right next to the library and sherrifs station

oh hell yea dude, I'm like 10 minutes away YEEEEEE

This is sort of where I am at on this.  Majority of these things I would much rather do at my house (or a friends house) than go somewhere to do it.

I much prefer watching specific events with said event in focus instead of having multiple things all going on at once.  If I want more than one, my phone sends updates for 90% of it.

Would some desks have computers and some not?  Either way DND is a game I very much care to enjoy privately with my group (we get silly and we don't always play by the official rules we play what's fun).  As for LAN events I pretty much refuse to use any computer that isn't mine or doesn't have my settings etc.  If I want to LAN it will be with my computer and would much rather not have that in public.

I do the same thing on the internet via forums, reddit etc, and it gives a much broader view.

I speak for no one other than myself.  I don't label myself as anti-social, but I very much prefer when doing events described here to be in the comfort of my own home, or at a friends and not have strangers potentially breathing down my neck.

1 minute ago, Anjelllo said:

You have to ask yourself, “what can I offer that’s more than just going to a friend’s house, I mean, if you expect people to pay and make reservations, you better offer something extraordinary. Pretty much all you’ve said so far is like an internet lounge, which only really work well in asia.

This is really how I feel.  It offers me nothing that I can't do at home or at a friends.  Especially because I have a lot of gaming friends that we don't live close to each other.

You could consider little gaming booths that one or a couple of people can rent out for however long, with a gaming PC, maybe some consoles and such. 

If you look into the manga cafe type places that are fairly common in Japan, that's what I mean. You basically get a booth and can go get drinks and food and stay in the booth reading (playing games in this case). Some of them have beds so you can sleep if you want. While that may not be popular in the west for books, I could see it being popular for games, especially if there's a new game out that people want to play or they can't afford to buy a high end PC. They could pay $15 an hour or something for one of those booths and try out multiple new games to see which one they want to buy themselves. 

You'd need to work out if it would be cost effective and obviously deal with the threat of theft (I'd imagine you wouldn't have the actual PC in the booth, but behind it or something so it can't be messed with or have liquid spilled on. 

That's exactly what I'd like to do! A small private booth would be the perfect way to accommodate the users. Thanks for the input, by the way, I think I'm gonna find some pictures of these manga cafes to help share the ideas with others. 

You also have to take into account that people are morons and there's a lot of dirty people, so things breaking and hygiene (especially for VR headsets) is going to be a major concern. 

2 minutes ago, Ganz said:

This is sort of where I am at on this.  Majority of these things I would much rather do at my house (or a friends house) than go somewhere to do it.

I much prefer watching specific events with said event in focus instead of having multiple things all going on at once.  If I want more than one, my phone sends updates for 90% of it.

Would some desks have computers and some not?  Either way DND is a game I very much care to enjoy privately with my group (we get silly and we don't always play by the official rules we play what's fun).  As for LAN events I pretty much refuse to use any computer that isn't mine or doesn't have my settings etc.  If I want to LAN it will be with my computer and would much rather not have that in public.

I do the same thing on the internet via forums, reddit etc, and it gives a much broader view.

I speak for no one other than myself.  I don't label myself as anti-social, but I very much prefer when doing events described here to be in the comfort of my own home, or at a friends and not have strangers potentially breathing down my neck.

This is really how I feel.  It offers me nothing that I can't do at home or at a friends.  Especially because I have a lot of gaming friends that we don't live close to each other.

I don't think I properly explained some stuff and these are good points. Honestly, people you like are probably not going to be convinced or brought unless a friend sets up the plans. 1. On a given day, the events being watched will likely stay on all day and be scheduled. 2. Some desk would have computers and others wouldn't. If you enjoy a group setting, then the private rooms with empty desks could be used for your DND. Events like, hangouts like that are exactly how me and my friends play and I want private to accommodate. I'm not sure if you read everything I wrote, but I mentioned private rooms which have plenty of uses, Obviously including small group DND. 3. You are not the user we're trying to reach out to when it comes to education resources, but some people learn better through hands-on experiences and classroom environments. Plus build days are a fun hobby which a lot of people will probably enjoy. 4. You could always go to a friends house but this option makes it possible for friends without beast rigs to enjoy things at a better level, it guarantees stable internet for some. It guarantees free delivery of food or food made in house, great for raiding imo. 

In my region of the world, it is super dense and I'm sure there are many friend group that live close enough to each other to make meeting up at places like this possible.
This business could kill in Santa Monica or Irvine California. 

1 minute ago, Favalava said:

Still learning how to use forums and made a copy of an edit lol.. deleted it because it's ugly

Me, I have Assburger's, and I do really poorly in any sort of social situation; the more people and background din there is, the more uneasy and distracted I get and the faster I'll want to leave. For me to want to go to this kinda thing, there'd have to be more cordoned-off spaces with not a lot of people and noise, and something to draw me in there -- what that could be, I don't really know, however. I have no friends, so I'd have no one other than my bf to bring along, either.

That said, I'm not sure if designing something with my needs in mind would be cost-effective in the first place. It's not like Assburger's is a common thing or anything.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You also have to take into account that people are morons and there's a lot of dirty people, so things breaking and hygiene (especially for VR headsets) is going to be a major concern. 

Yes, There are disposable vr mask and also washable ones. I'll invest. As far as theft and broken stuff goes, I'll explain more about that if people were interested but so far I don't really want to focus on financials because this post is about experiences.

16 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

You have to ask yourself, “what can I offer that’s more than just going to a friend’s house, I mean, if you expect people to pay and make reservations, you better offer something extraordinary. Pretty much all you’ve said so far is like an internet lounge, which only really work well in asia.

I believe theres a market for them in LA county.

16 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

I miss the old Lan centres, I'd be keen to go to these just for the social aspect. There is an awesome underground one in the next city over and almost every visit I go there to game.  

that's awesome, can you share the name and location?

Also, how do you cover operating costs?  You said everything would be free, but if that's case it wouldn't really be a business?