Why do you cool your PC ?

✪ Kavinsky
Go to solution Solved by Theguywhobea,
7 minutes ago, ✪ Kavinsky said:

ye but what would happen if i woudlnt cool my pc well.. will it explode or will it just crash??

It will explode

hey 

i get why you cool your GPU or CPU because of overheating , but why should i cool my case when i dont care if my room gets wormer ?

I mean, having worms in your room might not be a great idea.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

There are a lot of components such as motherboard VRMs that are passively cooled by the case airflow. No airflow means they don't get cooled. You also need fans to pull the hot air out of the case as well.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, ✪ Kavinsky said:

hey 

i get why you cool your GPU or CPU because of overheating , but why should i cool my case when i dont care if my room gets wormer ?

What do you mean cool your case? There's no one out there mounting heatsinks to the outside of their cases. I assume you're asking why do people have case fans? They bring in fresh air and exhaust warm air which aids in cooling the CPU and GPU.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Because your XPU's and PSU need to get the old hot air out and the new cool air in.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

How hot do the parts actually get?

Just adding fans usually lowers temps

:)

Keeping your ambient temps down don't have anything to do with keeping room temps down. In fact , the lower you can get your ambient temps, the higher your room temp will most likely get, as your computer will be expelling more heat. You should care about ambient temps because they play a big factor in your CPU/GPU temps, as wll as all other hardware inside your case.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

2 minutes ago, arbellason55 said:

I mean, having worms in your room might not be a great idea.

hahahahahahhahahahahahaha shit im dying hahah

ye but what would happen if i woudlnt cool my pc well.. will it explode or will it just crash??

2 minutes ago, ✪ Kavinsky said:

No, it is not going to explode. If you don't cool it well, depending on how hot it gets, you will run into thermal throttling and eventually it will crash, not to mention shortening the lifespan of your components.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

3 minutes ago, ✪ Kavinsky said:

On modern hardware with safeguards in place, it'll run poorly due to thermal throttling and then shut down after reaching a certain temperature.

On older hardware, it will probably smoke and/or catch fire, and then it will shut down.

7 minutes ago, ✪ Kavinsky said:

It will explode

12 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

There's no one out there mounting heatsinks to the outside of their cases

You don't know that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You don't know that.

Okay fair enough, I guess you could argue those passively cooled cases technically do have heatsinks mounted to the outside of them.

21 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

What do you mean cool your case? There's no one out there mounting heatsinks to the outside of their cases. I assume you're asking why do people have case fans? They bring in fresh air and exhaust warm air which aids in cooling the CPU and GPU.

bruh https://www.logicsupply.com/products/features/fanless-computers/  and I'm pretty sure Linus covered some pretty cool fanless pcs that used the case as a giant heatsink

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just now, Theguywhobea said:

Okay fair enough, I guess you could argue those passively cooled cases technically do have heatsinks mounted to the outside of them.

Just now, Cyracus said:

bruh https://www.logicsupply.com/products/features/fanless-computers/  and I'm pretty sure Linus covered some pretty cool fanless pcs that used the case as a giant heatsink

While technically, the case is being cooled, it IS the heatsink. Whereas I bet there is someone actually dumb enough to attatch fins to a case for the functionality of cooling it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

it would thermal throttle and break, but not explode

Please don't argue with me, I am just trying to help, or be helped. (we are all humans right?)

39 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

While technically, the case is being cooled, it IS the heatsink. Whereas I bet there is someone actually dumb enough to attatch fins to a case for the functionality of cooling it.

I think I posted at the same time as them lol... but yeah, people will do all kinds of stupid crap if no one stops them like putting a flamethrower in a pc case, or put an automotive hood scoop on it...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

40 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

I think I posted at the same time as them lol... but yeah, people will do all kinds of stupid crap if no one stops them like putting a flamethrower in a pc case, or put an automotive hood scoop on it...

Well, bith could look cool if done right....

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

If there's nothing driving fresh air into case and nothing taking hot air out, your components will slowly gain hotter and hotter temps. They will get some fresh air with passive airflow, but nothing is taking all that hot air out. Just single exhaust fan will do wonders.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I drink my PC with ice.

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.