RX 580 or GTX 1060?

just tilt
Go to solution Solved by Misanthrope,
2 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

Not true.. sorry to say but a 1080 has way more power.
Even the RX Vega 64 cannot quite beat it in some tasks, may I ask who told you that?

I think he meant on wattage, in which case he's actually right

EDIT: That being said however the difference is relatively ok so a 580 it's a far better buy if they are priced equal to a 1060, x2 because of freesync support.

Hello guys,

I was wondering should I buy an RX 580 8GB or GTX 1060 6GB? These are the only models I get to choose from atm, and they're withing a 5 USD margin of each other.

My current computer (I already own): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gXsdpb
If you're too lazy to look at the PCPP list I have a Cooler Master G650M PSU.

NOTE: I will buy a 1080p TN* FreeSync monitor regardless of which card I end up buying since I can't afford a G-Sync monitor, and it's refresh rate is 75Hz and response time 1ms, at a cheaper price than LED 60Hz monitors.

EDIT: The monitor's a TN panel, not an IPS panel. Whoops.

1 minute ago, just tilt said:

NOTE: I will buy a 1080p IPS FreeSync monitor regardless of which card I end up buying since I can't afford a G-Sync monitor, and it's refresh rate is 75Hz and response time 1ms, at a cheaper price than LED 60Hz monitors.

580. You've answered your own question with this line.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

580. You've answered your own question with this line.

Yeah, It would be really good to have them both, but I posted because I don't know if that specific aftermarket cooler is any good on the RX 580?

2 minutes ago, just tilt said:

I don't know if that specific aftermarket cooler is any good on the RX 580?

It's not great... You should definitely get an RX 580 8GB solely because of the fact that you own a FreeSync monitor, it's also a better long-term pick so I'd just look for another model, Sapphire Nitro+, ASUS Strix, MSI Gaming X or XFX GTS/GTR are good picks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

11 minutes ago, just tilt said:

Hello guys,

I was wondering should I buy an RX 580 8GB or GTX 1060 6GB? These are the only models I get to choose from atm, and they're withing a 5 USD margin of each other.

My current computer (I already own): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gXsdpb
If you're too lazy to look at the PCPP list I have a Cooler Master G650M PSU.

NOTE: I will buy a 1080p IPS FreeSync monitor regardless of which card I end up buying since I can't afford a G-Sync monitor, and it's refresh rate is 75Hz and response time 1ms, at a cheaper price than LED 60Hz monitors.

The 580 is the equivalent to the 1080 so yeah. Your ps is more than enough.

I like my RX480 since I do really love FreeSync.

But my brother has a GTX1060 6GB and it the standard fan curve is quite a bit better, after tweaking my ASUS STRIX card it is also quite good.

Performance wise, owning both card I can tell you it differs game to game.

We can both play GTA V pretty much maxed out, I can play PUBG at a mix of high/ultra he's card goes up to high (Same systems except he only has 12GB's of RAM and another motherboard)

I'd say if you have a FreeSync enabled display, try getting an RX580; hell even an RX480 (8GB's is what I'd pick for both) would get the job done nicely at 1080P!

But if you can find the GTX1060 marginally cheaper then the AMD counterpart, you could obviously do it. (That 1060 I talked about was bought with at least a € 100 if I recall correctly, open box .. that's about it)

Same with the AMD card, if it cheaper get it.

I actually got both those graphics card. open box at pretty steep discounts, while still keeping my warranty. (The store sells them at those prices because manuals/cd's are missing, but box is there and so is the graphics card)

On 11/28/2017 at 8:04 AM, CyberFern0 said:

Even the RX Vega 64 cannot quite beat it in some tasks, may I ask who told you that?

Edit :

I'll back my claims up by posting this link.

Just the core speed alone should give a clear indication, and looking at reviews confirms that.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's not great... You should definitely get an RX 580 8GB solely because of the fact that you own a FreeSync monitor, it's also a better long-term pick so I'd just look for another model, Sapphire Nitro+, ASUS Strix, MSI Gaming X or XFX GTS/GTR are good picks.

Each and every one of those except the Strix model are sold out for the last 6 months due to miners, so I'm tired of waiting and decided to get the only model that's semi reasonably priced (360 USD).
*Strix is priced at just under 440 USD.

2 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

EDIT: That being said however the difference is relatively ok so a 580 it's a far better buy if they are priced equal to a 1060, x2 because of freesync support.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, just tilt said:

Each and every one of those except the Strix model are sold out for the last 6 months due to miners, so I'm tired of waiting and decided to get the only model that's semi reasonably priced (360 USD).

If you can get the STRIX one open box like I did you can save quite a bit and still have a warranty, if you have a store who does that in Balkans..

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

12 minutes ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

If youll buy a freesync monitor get the 580, I doubt  it is IPS and 1 ms response time though.

Whoops it's a TN panel. My bad.

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I thought so too myself.

1 minute ago, Sfekke said:

If you can get the STRIX one open box like I did you can save quite a bit and still have a warranty, if you have a store who does that in Balkans..

Not down to pay the 80 USD premium over the Gigabyte model.

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Let me try to understand :

4 minutes ago, just tilt said:

More than enough I presume he talks about graphics power, not power power (if that makes any sense)

Power draw wise I do not know and I ain't going to look for it and just take your word for it.

It is a bit odd especially the way @CyberFern0 formulates it

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

ps = powersupply so he is talking about the power supply being enough to power the card.

I think that's the case.

Thanks for the help guys, I've decided to go for a RX 580.

43 minutes ago, just tilt said:

Just go with the Gigabyte 580. It's not the best cooler, but it's just fine. Anyone saying it's "shit" is overstating the difference.

50 minutes ago, CyberFern0 said:

Please don't spread misinformation. The GTX 1080 blows away an RX 580. If you're talking about wattage, be specific and say so, because that's a very awkward and misleading way to say it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, just tilt said:

NOTE: I will buy a 1080p TN* FreeSync monitor regardless of which card I end up buying since I can't afford a G-Sync monitor, and it's refresh rate is 75Hz and response time 1ms, at a cheaper price than LED 60Hz monitors.

EDIT: The monitor's a TN panel, not an IPS panel. Whoops.

Because you're using a FreeSync monitor, you'd probably get better 1080p performance out of the 580. If you could hold off or save up for a G-Sync monitor (easier said than done, I understand) then the 1060 is going to give you a little better performance. Really the 1070 and 1070Ti cards have been on sale on/off ever so often for about the $350-$400 USD range, so I would keep my eyes open if you decide to save for a G-Sync monitor and spring for the more capable card.

7 hours ago, Sfekke said:

Edit :

I'll back my claims up by posting this link.

Just the core speed alone should give a clear indication, and looking at reviews confirms that.

Oh sorry lel.

I know nothing about AMD. It's kind of stupid because I have a 1.9 Ghz 1080 myself ?

8 hours ago, just tilt said:

ofc the rx580 then also it will age better and dx12 and vulcan!

On 11/28/2017 at 3:56 PM, dalekphalm said:

Just go with the Gigabyte 580. It's not the best cooler, but it's just fine. Anyone saying it's "shit" is overstating the difference.

Thank you for reassuring me sir, It makes me feel a little more at ease not having to think about the cooling.

On 11/28/2017 at 4:28 PM, ERM64bit said:

Really the 1070 and 1070Ti cards have been on sale on/off ever so often for about the $350-$400 USD range, so I would keep my eyes open if you decide to save for a G-Sync monitor and spring for the more capable card.

I totally agree, but pricing in my country is really fucked up xD
The 400 USD range is still a fkin RX 480/580 (the Asus Strix versions) and the 1060 from MSI. I just checked the 1070 pricing and the cheapest model (reference) is sitting at 556 USD, which is obviously too much for that GPU, and too much for me to pay for any GPU, because it's literally the price of my soon-to-be GPU (RX 580) and the CPU (i5 6600)

On 11/29/2017 at 10:45 AM, just tilt said:

I totally agree, but pricing in my country is really fucked up xD
The 400 USD range is still a fkin RX 480/580 (the Asus Strix versions) and the 1060 from MSI. I just checked the 1070 pricing and the cheapest model (reference) is sitting at 556 USD, which is obviously too much for that GPU, and too much for me to pay for any GPU, because it's literally the price of my soon-to-be GPU (RX 580) and the CPU (i5 6600)

$556 for a 1070? Holy crap, just no. If you're good with just a high refresh 1080p monitor, I think the 580 will do the job fine. I've personally been going back & forth over doing a Crossfire 580 or a single 1080 card ($558 vs $539 respectively, plus the difference between a G-Sync and FreeSync monitor)

On 12/1/2017 at 2:52 PM, ERM64bit said:

I've personally been going back & forth over doing a Crossfire 580 or a single 1080 card ($558 vs $539 respectively, plus the difference between a G-Sync and FreeSync monitor)

I'm personally always for single GPU setups, but if you want to make it look cool, watercool it or something, go for Crossfire 580s :D

On 12/1/2017 at 8:52 AM, ERM64bit said:

$556 for a 1070? Holy crap, just no. If you're good with just a high refresh 1080p monitor, I think the 580 will do the job fine. I've personally been going back & forth over doing a Crossfire 580 or a single 1080 card ($558 vs $539 respectively, plus the difference between a G-Sync and FreeSync monitor)

Personally I always choose a single card solution if possible. Dual GPU setups (CFX, SLI) are just too janky, and are actually becoming less supported over time. Sure most AAA games get profiles, but some still don't, and lot's of smaller/indie games don't.

I just find it less of a potential headache to get a single, more powerful GPU.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)