Safe to cheap out on a motherboard?

Are there any risks associated with doing so and what are the essential things you sacrifice other than overclocking and rgb ;)

i think it is. and you might also get coil whine but that happens to motherboards expensive or cheap. a little sacrifice on build quality too. so your video card might sag more.

Just now, Rubin Chen said:

i think it is. and you might also get coil whine but that happens to motherboards expensive or cheap. a little sacrifice on build quality too. so your video card might sag more.

Nothing that big of a deal right? Any chance a cheap motherboard would kill the system?

Unless you plan to overclock,need more then 2 fan headers,sata ports,usb ports, like good build quality; you'll be fine with a cheaper motherboard.

Just keep in mind expandability and IO are most likely less extravagant then on the higher end models.

Edited by Sfekke
Added amount of fan headers most cheap boards have.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

Kind of depends on the other components you plan on using. If you were to cheap out on the motherboard with a CPU like the FX 9590, it can be too much for the board's VRM and power delivery to handle. 

For a not ridiculous CPU, it should be okay. Most of the time, you'll just lose features. You'll get less SATA ports, less PCIe slots, maybe no USB 3.0, less USB 2.0 ports etc. etc. 

I'd actually recommend ASRock if you're planning on going for a cheaper board, they tend to be fairly solid. I'd be wary of MSI from what I've seen, they seem to cut back on power delivery a lot on their cheaper boards, not really something you want skimped on. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Kind of depends on the other components you plan on using. If you were to cheap out on the motherboard with a CPU like the FX 9590, it can be too much for the board's VRM and power delivery to handle. 

For a not ridiculous CPU, it should be okay. Most of the time, you'll just lose features. You'll get less SATA ports, less PCIe slots, maybe no USB 3.0, less USB 2.0 ports etc. etc. 

I'd actually recommend ASRock if you're planning on going for a cheaper board, they tend to be fairly solid. I'd be wary of MSI from what I've seen, they seem to cut back on power delivery a lot on their cheaper boards, not really something you want skimped on. 

If i wanted to pair an i7 8700 with future b motherboards will that be ok or is that too much for the mobo to handle?

Edited by KyberKylo77

Just now, KyberKylo77 said:

If i wanted to pair an i7 8700 on future b motherboards will that be ok or is that too much for the mobo to handle?

That's okay, it doesn't use a stupid amount of power like the 9590 did. 

Performance should be the same as a higher end board, but like we mentioned, you'll lose features. 

It will be fine unless you do something like 1800X + A320 or 8700K + bad H310

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

That's okay, it doesn't use a stupid amount of power like the 9590 did. 

Performance should be the same as a higher end board, but like we mentioned, you'll lose features. 

Also is it essential to have 3.0 usb going into 2018? And is gigabyte any good for cheap mobos, since they usually sell them cheaper here in my country just like how zotac is here with GPUs than any other brands.

Just now, KyberKylo77 said:

Also is it essential to have 3.0 usb going into 2018? And is giabyte any good for cheap mobos, since they usually sell them cheaper here in my country just like how zotac is here with GPUs than any other brands.

Depends what you intend to do with the system. If you're planning on having external drives via USB, you'll want USB 3.0 in most cases (though I'm pretty sure all boards on the LGA 1151 socket have at least 1 USB 3.0 (technically USB 3.1 Gen1) port on them. 

Gigabyte tends to be good from what I've seen. I'm running one of their lower end Z77 boards in a server right now that was in my PC before, so it's been going for about 4 years with no issues. The only one I'd advise to be wary of for a budget board is MSI. They're not terrible, but they seem to skimp on power delivery in favour of either some different features or making the board look nice, which isn't worth it IMO. 

6 minutes ago, KyberKylo77 said:

Also is it essential to have 3.0 usb going into 2018? And is gigabyte any good for cheap mobos, since they usually sell them cheaper here in my country just like how zotac is here with GPUs than any other brands.

I also agree with other ones. You will just lose features. Also think about at least one M.2 NVMe on moatherboard, I think thins one you should not skip. It will help work your main system (windows,linux) even faster then similar SSD 2.5"

11 minutes ago, VidasK9 said:

I also agree with other ones. You will just lose features. Also think about at least one M.2 NVMe on moatherboard, I think thins one you should not skip. It will help work your main system (windows,linux) even faster then similar SSD 2.5"

Dw im not a beginner i know alot about tech but just asked this question to double check. But i dont need an m.2 drive or will i ever need one and i tend to just build a computer, use it for 4 years and start from scratch and build a new one so i dont favour upgradability much.