Question about Floatplane bitrate

AlTech
12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, I know some people really hate the look of smooth video, even some people who do see the difference and prefer high framerate in games, so it might be best to stick to 30 for that and technical reasons.  Personally I think I'd prefer 60 even if most content wouldn't hugely benefit from it but yeah, everyone is different :P

I think this is me 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Really? You can't notice it? Not even a little?

I do understand the decision due to space issue, don't worry. 

I would also like to ask @LinusTech how much more space do 60 FPS videos take? Or actually that one that they did for that matter. Is it literally double? Iirc you guys had WAN Show in 50 FPS as well?

I really dont. I want to watch the hobbit on 48 fps just to see if I can feel something (some people like it, some get nauseated). But on yt videos (and even on twitch) I just dont see it, I guess I will try again because thats a bit strange.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

How many people watch movies on their computer? A good majority of those are 24fps. 

Hobbit wasn't but I remember seeing that at the movies and almost falling asleep. 

7 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I think this is me 

yes :P but I have definitely heard before from other sources that some people just don't like high fps video

1 minute ago, William Payne said:

How many people watch movies on their computer? A good majority of those are 24fps. 

I know and I wish it wasn't true xD

Hobbit wasn't but I remember seeing that at the movies and almost falling asleep. 

I saw the 48 fps one just because I wanted to see what that was like and I really enjoyed it tbh

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

yes :P but I have definitely heard before from other sources that some people just don't like high fps video

My eyes probably just can’t tolerate 60 fps plus a shaky video but surprisingly, I didn’t feel nauseous with Luke’s review of the Xbox One X which is at 60 fps. 

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

My eyes probably just can’t tolerate 60 fps plus a shaky video but surprisingly, I didn’t feel nauseous with Luke’s review of the Xbox One X which is at 60 fps. 

I think that was still filmed at 30 though, so those parts wouldn't have looked any different.  It's just the game footage that's 60.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

20 minutes ago, William Payne said:

I already linked this in another thread, but I could totally get used to this. I don't care if it's upscaling/frame interpolation, I just dig it. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

8 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I already linked this in another thread, but I could totally get used to this. I don't care if it's upscaling/frame interpolation, I just dig it. 

Looks like it's upscaled from something higher than 30, but not quite 60.  Just watching it, it does look smoother than usual but something is kinda off, and sure enough, stepping through frame by frame, seems like about 2/3 frames are an "update" and 1/3 are a repeat, so maybe 48 fps? actually trying again it does seem every frame is unique (not sure what was going on the first time...) but if you look closely there's some odd artifacts and duplicated assets, so I think this was generated through frame interpolation or something, sort of like what TVs do by default.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Looks like it's upscaled from something higher than 30, but not quite 60.  Just watching it, it does look smoother than usual but something is kinda off, and sure enough, stepping through frame by frame, seems like about 2/3 frames are an "update" and 1/3 are a repeat, so maybe 48 fps? actually trying again it does seem every frame is unique (not sure what was going on the first time...) but if you look closely there's some odd artifacts and duplicated assets, so I think this was generated through frame interpolation or something, sort of like what TVs do by default.

Yes, few scenes are way off, but it sadly can't be perfect.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Yes, few scenes are way off, but it sadly can't be perfect.

Now if it was actually shot at 60 fps that would be best, but they can make a significant improvement just processing it like this

Well, I suppose "improvement" is subjective but I like it :P

8 hours ago, LinusTech said:

From frame analysis our 1080p looks similar to YouTube's 4K.

We've done some experimentation with 4K (at a proportionally higher average bitrate) and FP absolutely smashes YT's 4K.

But that's not something we're ready to roll out yet!

Linus

Could you please implement 1440p on FP? (It would look like YT´s 5K if it existed)

3 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Could you please implement 1440p on FP? (It would look like YT´s 5K if it existed)

Apparently 4K is in the works and if they can do that I'd imagine that will be enough quality for anyone :D

21 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Apparently 4K is in the works and if they can do that I'd imagine that will be enough quality for anyone :D

I want 1440p, since that is the resolution of my monitor. 1440p= QHD (2560x1440)

1 minute ago, DanielMDA said:

I want 1440p, since that is the resolution of my monitor. 1440p= QHD (2560x1440)

You could just watch downscaled 4K, it would look even better

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think that was still filmed at 30 though, so those parts wouldn't have looked any different.  It's just the game footage that's 60.

But YouTube shows options for 60 fps

5a1e2a05db96e_Screenshot(417)_LI.jpg.178c659f9f2b0fccdae9c1acca71f805.jpg

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Yes... because the video is at 60 fps... that doesn't mean 100% of the content is though...

17 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Because it worked and proves most people think it's better if it just says 60 even if the content is the same? :P

It also worked the other way around, when people thought they uploaded a 30 FPS video when it was actually 60 FPS.

The moral of the story? A lot of viewers are dumb. I have no idea how anyone can mistake 30 FPS for 60 FPS, or vice versa.

16 hours ago, Taja said:

well, I cant. And I tried, just to try to understand why people talk about it, and even changing from 30 to 60 in the same video multiple times and paying attention, I just cant.

That means it does not have a difference? absolutely not, but it does indicate how small the difference is, since some people cant see it even when trying hard to do it. And its not like I dont feel a HUGE difference in games between 30 and 60 fps.

Finally, why bother to use more space and processing just to make something arguably irrelevant? I wouldnt use my resources on this and I wont expect LTT to do it.

Are you reading this comment through a text-to-speech program? Because I suspect that you might be legitimately blind.

Are you sure you actually switched between 30 FPS and 60 FPS? The difference is massive. How exactly did you change from 30 FPS to 60 FPS in that video?

16 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Is it literally double?

It's not double, but it's quite a lot more if you want to keep the image quality the same. My guess would be like 60% more maybe? It varies a lot depending on the content.

52 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It also worked the other way around, when people thought they uploaded a 30 FPS video when it was actually 60 FPS.

The moral of the story? A lot of viewers are dumb. I have no idea how anyone can mistake 30 FPS for 60 FPS, or vice versa.

I agree when you get reliable smooth footage that's all one framerate, comparing 30 to 60 is like black and white, but I think the issue was if you get a 60 fps video that contains a lot of footage at 30 fps, and then games that didn't quite run perfectly, well, that can easily be enough to throw people off

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Are you reading this comment through a text-to-speech program? Because I suspect that you might be legitimately blind.

Are you sure you actually switched between 30 FPS and 60 FPS? The difference is massive. How exactly did you change from 30 FPS to 60 FPS in that video?

It's not double, but it's quite a lot more if you want to keep the image quality the same. My guess would be like 60% more maybe? It varies a lot depending on the content.

On twitch there is the option 720p30 and 720p60. But I only see dota, and the frame rate is not that important.

On yt I changed from 480p or 720p to 1080p60, but since the resolution is changing is not really apples to apples. And im talking about techtuber videos, where mostly the camera is still and the person is talking doing hand movements or just sitting down.

In movies whenever there is camera movement, I can see the low fps by looking at background objects and such.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

16 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Luke was in 30fps though:

But yeah, parts of the video were 60fps, part were 30fps. That is why YouTube shows an option for 60fps.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/