Helpful Tip for All You CGMiner Users!

Don't know if this has been posted before, but there is a way to stop your gpu from mining if it passes a certain temperature. 

In your .bat file used to start cgminer, input --auto-gpu --temp-cutoff <temp in Celcius goes here> at the end. If it passes the temperature you set, it will stop until it goes down below the target temperature (if you set a target temperature). Hope this helps so that you don't fry your gpu.   :)

thanks for the info

Hey no problem. Although, you might want to test that it actually works so that you don't find out later that it doesn't.

Hey no problem. Although, you might want to test that it actually works so that you don't find out later that it doesn't.

ya i just modifyed to 60C so should not take long as a test

Aselwyn1

Don't forget to use --auto-fan or a different fan curve program.

Biggest advice which could be given would be to read the readme files found in cgminer folder. the readme.txt, scrypt-readme.txt, and gpu-readme.txt

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

im using Cudaminner and it works so it does not have a scrypt readme but the temp thing still worked

Aselwyn1

im using Cudaminner and it works so it does not have a scrypt readme but the temp thing still worked

Whatever mining program you're using, always read the readme files to understand what settings are available as well as what each one does.

Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Having a minor problem with this, after reaching the temp target again (one of my 280X's run really hot, I will have to look at that but for now I want to get it working so I'm running cut off at 90, target at 75) the GPU doesn't re-initialise even though it says it does. So it just sits there until I restart cgminer. Quite annoying.

Having a minor problem with this, after reaching the temp target again (one of my 280X's run really hot, I will have to look at that but for now I want to get it working so I'm running cut off at 90, target at 75) the GPU doesn't re-initialise even though it says it does. So it just sits there until I restart cgminer. Quite annoying.

When my gpu stops, I press G and then R to reset the gpu, without closing out cgminer.

When my gpu stops, I press G and then R to reset the gpu, without closing out cgminer.

I'd love for it to do that on its own, I don't plan on sitting next to my miner 24/7 :D

I'd love for it to do that on its own, I don't plan on sitting next to my miner 24/7 :D

Set up a scheduled task to auto close CGminer, then re-launch it every hour. At most you will lose out of 1 hour worth of mining if it crashes.

Set up a scheduled task to auto close CGminer, then re-launch it every hour. At most you will lose out of 1 hour worth of mining if it crashes.

How would do this?

Add an extra line to the start of your batch file.

taskkill /f /im "cgminer.exe"

You can create a scheduler task following any guide specifically for your OS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/12444-task-scheduler-create-new-task.html